Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentoneill15

I'm not a big fan of Brolly either, I think he was an over rated player too, I only witnessed the last year or two of his career though I did watch a lot of his previous games on VHS tape.

rrhf

Lot of guys on here comparing the actions of a man throwing the benefit gig for himself primordially  against the actions of a man who does countless benefit gigs for the craic. Brolly might be hard to handle but you can't diminish the selfless work he does for gaa clubs up and down the country. I'm not saying the other man doesn't do this as well but this is a testimonial cash in, a payday moment and it is totally different thing.
Why doesn't daragh o se do it
Why doesn't Paul galvin in do it
Why doesn't sean cvanagh do it
Why doesn't Conor mc manus do it
Why doesn't Ciaran mc keever or Two or three Kernans do it.
If 300 odd inter county players did it would cost some dough.

rosnarun

Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on October 17, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 17, 2017, 03:53:55 PM
Quote from: Last Man on October 17, 2017, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on October 17, 2017, 10:11:34 AM
Quote from: Jim Bob on October 17, 2017, 09:20:48 AM
Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 17, 2017, 08:57:01 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 17, 2017, 08:47:54 AM
Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

If it were true Brolly would make sure it was well known!

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

How do you know it's widely known?
I have read where Brolly states that he never charges for appearances at club events etc but never have head him or read where he said that he donates his RTE fee to charity.
Perhaps you could throw up a link?

Aye must've got a fair few quid for the kidney as well and all the work he does lobbying for CF sufferers to name a couple . The huer needs stopped in his tracks!  ::)

I agree with much of what Joe says and Cooper had this coming to him for telling porky pies on the Late Late Show... but of course Joe gets paid for RTE work. Like why wouldn't he? Being a sports pundit is not an amateur sport like say... Gaelic football

To be fair, he doesn't do it for the money. He's a barrister. He wants to have his opinion heard. That's all. He loves publicity.

Aye there is a truth to that, though he calls out a lot of stuff needs called out.

but is he any good as a barrister
I would not want him defending me the bollix would only antagonize the whole cort and think it was great crack
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mrhardyannual

Quote from: trentoneill15 on October 17, 2017, 05:33:28 PM
I'm not a big fan of Brolly either, I think he was an over rated player too, I only witnessed the last year or two of his career though I did watch a lot of his previous games on VHS tape.
Brolly won two All-Star awards. Some players might be considered lucky to win an All-Star in any given year but you would be hard pressed to find one that was doubly lucky. Disagree if you like with his comments or his manner/personality but his quality as a forward was undeniable.

Last Man

Yep and as pointed out previously, there are undoubtedly  hundreds of GAA loving Irish barristers who could present articulate and entertaining insights into our games. But as he's the one who happened to play the (amateur) sport at the highest level, he's the one who gets paid a hefty sum of money for doing so.

I'm still trying to work out how many degrees of separation from the game are necessary before he agrees and it is okay to profit from the game.

I'm not Brolly's biggest fan and disagree with many of his points of view but I've seen it noted in various places previously that he donates his Sunday Game & newspaper fees to charity.

It is widely known that this is the case and that he never charges for appearances at Club's either I'm prettu sure it was mentioned on the sportsjoe.ie podcast he was on.

He's a barrister sure what difference would 500 quid a few weeks of the year make to him for his RTE gig or for writing his column? I'm pretty sure he's in it for the notoriety more so than the money.

I have read where Brolly states that he never charges for appearances at club events etc but never have head him or read where he said that he donates his RTE fee to charity.

Aye must've got a fair few quid for the kidney as well and all the work he does lobbying for CF sufferers to name a couple . The huer needs stopped in his tracks!  ::)

I agree with much of what Joe says and Cooper had this coming to him for telling porky pies on the Late Late Show... but of course Joe gets paid for RTE work. Like why wouldn't he? Being a sports pundit is not an amateur sport like say... Gaelic football

To be fair, he doesn't do it for the money. He's a barrister. He wants to have his opinion heard. That's all. He loves publicity.

In his day job he is there to present a case for his client in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Is there an element of theatre involved.? Undoubtedly yes but there is also no doubt about the intellect and sharp wit required to be one of the top performing barristers in the wee 6. Here's hoping you never need his services.

JimStynes

I'd say Joe gets some laugh at this thread

The Gs Man

"That's me up to 242 pages now lads.  What's the Gooch's page count up to, the bollox?  If this keeps going I'll have more pages than the 'Traveller Ladies' thread or the 'Get Your Hotels Booked Now' calamity."
Keep 'er lit

screenexile

He didn't miss Parkinson on Twitter anyway!!!

QuoteUnsurprising endorsement of gombeenism by one of the first professional Gaelic footballers. Parnell must be turning in his grave #Parnells

redhandefender

Quote from: Last Man on October 17, 2017, 06:04:09 PM

In his day job he is there to present a case for his client in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Is there an element of theatre involved.? Undoubtedly yes but there is also no doubt about the intellect and sharp wit required to be one of the top performing barristers in the wee 6. Here's hoping you never need his services.

He made his money in the bar from gaa connections nothing to do with wit and intellect as you said. The firms he uses are not hiring because he is some form of genius I think you will find they are all gaa connected or through sinn fein connections.

Brolly has a warped mind. He does the gigs round the country to feed his ego and people buy that crap. If he was truelly doing it for selfless purposes he wouldn't be spouting it in a national paper or twitter.

The man needs help!

Franko

Quote from: redhandefender on October 18, 2017, 01:56:56 PM

He made his money in the bar from gaa connections nothing to do with wit and intellect as you said. The firms he uses are not hiring because he is some form of genius I think you will find they are all gaa connected or through sinn fein connections.

Brolly has a warped mind. He does the gigs round the country to feed his ego and people buy that crap. If he was truelly doing it for selfless purposes he wouldn't be spouting it in a national paper or twitter.

The man needs help!

Emmm, I can tell you categorically that this is a TOTAL lie.  Why would you just make stuff up?

screenexile

Maybe you're the one who needs help rhd that's quite a rant!

redhandefender

Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2017, 02:10:15 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on October 18, 2017, 01:56:56 PM

The man needs help!

Emmm, I can tell you categorically that this is a TOTAL lie.  Why would you just make stuff up?

Emmmm, I can tell you its not. There is not that much difference between barristers, some bad ones yes but the successful one are mostly there because they have got an "in" with some firm of solicitors either by a family connection, connections from your Master or from a sporting background.

The bar of N Ireland is 100% based on this old school mentality. Once you get into one firm that way others will start using you. Most of them are masters at the BS/Acting nothing to do with some kind of super intellectual.

And some idiot above said hes one of the top in the jurisdiction I think you will find the top barristers have a QC beside there name which he doesn't. He is a junior barrister so wise up!

screenexile

I think he stays a BL so he doesnt' have to have the Queen's name after his.

Also by what rule or otherwise are you not allowed to use connections you've made in sport to get ahead in your career?

It's not the same as going cap in hand to businesses that would otherwise be giving money to your Club or County and saying give me €5k there please big lad!!

redhandefender

Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2017, 03:25:26 PM
I think he stays a BL so he doesnt' have to have the Queen's name after his.

Also by what rule or otherwise are you not allowed to use connections you've made in sport to get ahead in your career?

It's not the same as going cap in hand to businesses that would otherwise be giving money to your Club or County and saying give me €5k there please big lad!!

As far as the QC thing goes that is the most ridiculous thing I have heard yet. He has not been called. Most likely because some senior members in the bar do not respect some of his more recent performances in court where he has thought he was on RTE!

I didn't say you weren't allowed to use connections. If you actually read what I said I stated that's how he got his business and became successful not because of some superhuman intellect you all seem to think he has.

square_ball

Is he not in an industry where if you had a lack of intellect you'd soon be found out?