Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2017, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
Spillane isn't smart enough to be a presenter which is why the experiment was abandoned. He never made it past deputy principal . He is a football legend however.
Being a presenter isn't about smartness. Pat is smart enough but he just isn't a smooth suave presenter, like 99.99% of us

I don't have a word of Irish but I can still tell that Dara Ó Cinnéide on Seó Spóirt is a real presenter not a shouty, see me like Brolly who has to talk down everyone.  What a pity his show has been cancelled while Brolly continues to reign on RTE.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dara-ó-cinnéide-disappointed-at-the-end-of-seó-spóirt-on-tg4-1.2967880

Main Street

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 12, 2017, 10:38:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2017, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
Spillane isn't smart enough to be a presenter which is why the experiment was abandoned. He never made it past deputy principal . He is a football legend however.
Being a presenter isn't about smartness. Pat is smart enough but he just isn't a smooth suave presenter, like 99.99% of us

I don't have a word of Irish but I can still tell that Dara Ó Cinnéide on Seó Spóirt is a real presenter not a shouty, see me like Brolly who has to talk down everyone.  What a pity his show has been cancelled while Brolly continues to reign on RTE.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/dara-ó-cinnéide-disappointed-at-the-end-of-seó-spóirt-on-tg4-1.2967880
Brolly's not a presenter and hasn't yet been mentioned in the context of being a presenter, that would be akin to a Father Jack taking over the parish.
How do you think the loquacious Dara would do presenting the Sunday Game?
Personally, I don't think the genial Lyster is a/the problem but at times he should just be more firm reining in Joe. I wonder is it his call to have Joe there or is that coming from elsewhere? I don't mind having the same presenter, it's the pundit predictability that's the death of any interesting panel discussion and for that reason the SG is a better place without Colm and Pat as permanent residents.

Jinxy

Excuse me, Colm is the only one of the three 'senior' panelists who just gives an honest opinion without trying to generate soundbites or headlines of his own.
Plus, he's probably the only one Brolly has any respect for.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Thy Kingdom Come

Quote from: Jinxy on April 13, 2017, 01:20:28 PM
Excuse me, Colm is the only one of the three 'senior' panelists who just gives an honest opinion without trying to generate soundbites or headlines of his own.

Except for when Brolly mouths off about O' Rourke's failed Celtic Tiger investments on the Sunday Game!

AZOffaly

Was it not Colm O'Rourke that said Dooher was useless, and if he won an All Ireland he (Colm) would 'eat his hat'?

That's fairly headliney.

The Stallion

Good point well made.

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2017, 03:28:34 PM
Was it not Colm O'Rourke that said Dooher was useless, and if he won an All Ireland he (Colm) would 'eat his hat'?

That's fairly headliney.

I can't even remember the context to this. I assume it was 2002? Why was he having a personal dig at Dooher, especially when he clearly has no knowledge of what he was about as a player? Really poor stuff from O'Rourke! His "you'll never win anything with kids" moment.
That was never a square ball!!

Fuzzman

Keeping a tighter reign on Joe is near impossible as the man is such a loose cannon.
I've watched him on several platforms and it's just not possible to contain the man as he continually takes over the show. He doesn't listen to others opinions and often talks over people and wont let them have their say.

The famous rant after the Sean Cavanagh tackle sums the man up in my eyes where he really went OTT and couldn't understand how the others were defending that Cavanagh did what any other player would do. He then doesn't let the other lads speak and keeps telling Lyster to Hold on, hold on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQyAuErSVI

Look at Brolly's face at the end of this video and O'Rourke's smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQNMNRl__zg

The Stallion

He was pretty much correct about Cavanagh, who was a very good footballer but some of his diving and fouling was just pathetic stuff.

You would have to question what sort of a person values winning a game so much that they'd throw themselves to the floor at the slightest touch and hold their face like they'd been shot. Some idiots might say "a winner" of course, there's no shortage of people prepared to excuse the inexcusable.

redhandefender

Quote from: The Stallion on April 13, 2017, 04:16:44 PM
He was pretty much correct about Cavanagh, who was a very good footballer but some of his diving and fouling was just pathetic stuff.

You would have to question what sort of a person values winning a game so much that they'd throw themselves to the floor at the slightest touch and hold their face like they'd been shot. Some idiots might say "a winner" of course, there's no shortage of people prepared to excuse the inexcusable.

Wise up you clown just because your county are now irrelevant.

Every top level forward at club or county include brolly knows how to win a free and have done it at some point. With regards fouling what are you on about? the one pull down of mc manus by any chance? Really going back there? anyone would have done it.

Brolly uses his position to slate players who are held in high regard, its all about his ego.

For him to question someone as a man for a foul on a football pitch then behave like he has in real life says it all really. be proud Derry

tonto1888

Dunno about fouling but Cavanagh is a master of diving. Shame as he is such a good footballer

Main Street

Colm gives a predictable honest opinion.

Is whoever Brolly has any respect for, a dubious honour or a dubious shame? :)

Jinxy

Quote from: Thy Kingdom Come on April 13, 2017, 02:37:57 PM

Except for when Brolly mouths off about O' Rourke's failed Celtic Tiger investments on the Sunday Game!

I'm sure Colm elbowed him in the kidney afterwards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 13, 2017, 05:11:23 PM
Dunno about fouling but Cavanagh is a master of diving. Shame as he is such a good footballer

Master of grabbing the defenders arm and falls to ground. Refs fall for it always.

Main Street

Quote from: mrdeeds on April 13, 2017, 06:22:31 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 13, 2017, 05:11:23 PM

Master of grabbing the defenders arm and falls to ground. Refs fall for it always.
He's also Lord of the Dance.