Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

The coverage of his retirement is a separate issue to his overall legacy.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: yellowcard on April 10, 2017, 10:42:37 AM
On this matter Brolly was right. The commentary on Gooch was way OTT during the week. Factually I don't think there was very much wrong with what he said but O'Se was understandably obviously going to stick up for his mate whilst Whelan and Lyster took the populist approach and dismissed Brolly completely.

I agree it was over the top and he has a point with the criticism of Gooch but he took it too far in the paper and last night. You'd think the Gooch had gone completely missing in those games he mentioned which wasn't true.

He was correct to slaughter Galway and Kildare for that first half performance but then completely ignored the fact that Galway went far more direct in the 2nd half and kicked 12 points with 11 of them from play.

Brolly will once again be delighted as we're all discussing him this morning.

snoopdog

God forbid anyone had a different opinion to the D4 media machine. I dont neccesarily agree with Brolly but how boring a world would it be if everyone had the same opinion.

Main Street

Quote from: snoopdog on April 10, 2017, 07:56:03 PM
God forbid anyone had a different opinion to the D4 media machine. I dont neccesarily agree with Brolly but how boring a world would it be if everyone had the same opinion.
(Imo) the issue is not about opinions per se, everybody has them and none are the same. One of  Joe's issues is his obsessive compulsive disorder about that his opinion is the best, is the truth, must be headlined on the Sunday sports panel and the Indo, every other opinion is wrong and must be contradicted to the nth degree. Even if there's not actually much difference in opinions, he will magnify the difference to crisis proportions to prove his opinion is the right one.
As Tomás observed, it then becomes such an tangled obsession that he even contradicts himself inside the same argument.

WT4E

Thought Michael Lyster was poor - no matter what Brolly or the others opinions are he's just there to chair a fair debate and keep them discussing - not force an opinion on someone just because he doesn't agree with it.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: WT4E on April 11, 2017, 09:36:49 AM
Thought Michael Lyster was poor - no matter what Brolly or the others opinions are he's just there to chair a fair debate and keep them discussing - not force an opinion on someone just because he doesn't agree with it.

Lyster is always anti Brolly. Ever since he insulted his wee chum Marty!

johnneycool

Quote from: ashman on April 09, 2017, 11:38:04 PM
Any career can be assessed against losses :  an overhyped choker like Henry Shefflin was poor on 1999 final .  He beat a bad OFfaly team in 2000 .  Didn't perform in last 10 mins v Galway in 2001 . Was on the field in 2004 when they lost to cork .  Hell he couldn't look after his cruciate in 2010 v Kilkenny in 2010 . Shefflin was some choker too.

Yip, he choked that much he almost single handedly took the battle to Galway in 2012 when his team mates were all struggling, he's the ultimate choker is Henry........

yellowcard

Quote from: WT4E on April 11, 2017, 09:36:49 AM

I like Lyster, he is normally an excellent presenter but I agree with your opinion in this instance. It is not his job to come down on either side but rather provoke debate. I could imagine if Bill O'Herlihy, who was a master presenter, was in the same situation, he would have smiled and got some more air time out of the debate. He certainly wouldn't have been offering up an opinion. It was the very reason that Spillane was an absolute disaster in the role for a short period.   

Jinxy

Brolly had a dig at Lyster at the start about his Galway bias and you could see he was annoyed.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Spillane isn't smart enough to be a presenter which is why the experiment was abandoned. He never made it past deputy principal . He is a football legend however.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2017, 10:51:23 AM
Brolly had a dig at Lyster at the start about his Galway bias and you could see he was annoyed.

Lyster wasn't impressed although didn't think he was too annoyed but seemed intent on getting a dig in on Brolly.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 11, 2017, 12:16:08 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 11, 2017, 10:51:23 AM

Lyster wasn't impressed although didn't think he was too annoyed but seemed intent on getting a dig in on Brolly.

Brolly would get a rise out if a saint, you can hardly blame Lyster.
That was never a square ball!!

ONeill

It's like clockwork. Brolly says something as the league finishes that gets tongues wagging before the SFC so people tune in to see what the Dungiven kisser has to say in May.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

Quote from: seafoid on April 11, 2017, 11:35:09 AM
Spillane isn't smart enough to be a presenter which is why the experiment was abandoned. He never made it past deputy principal . He is a football legend however.
Being a presenter isn't about smartness. Pat is smart enough but he just isn't a smooth suave presenter, like 99.99% of us