Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: orangeman on December 06, 2016, 12:21:42 AM
And was on RTE tonight representing CF sufferers in their quest to get the very expensive medication.

Yes he can wind people up and offend them but he does a lot of very good work with these campaigns.

I agree, but it's not a zero sum game.
He can do loads of good work for charity and also not be a dick to other 'gaels' as he would call them.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on December 06, 2016, 10:01:10 AM
When the best footballer in country calls you a clown maybe the penny might drop for Brolly, I doubt it though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/diarmuid-connolly-blames-rte-clown-for-black-card-rules-433881.html
Black card rule was passed at Congress 3 months before that Cavanagh's foul and Brolly's rant.
It's implementation was postponed till the following 1st January.
But don't let the truth get in the way of an urban myth.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Rossfan on December 06, 2016, 11:39:21 AM
When the best footballer in country calls you a clown maybe the penny might drop for Brolly, I doubt it though.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/diarmuid-connolly-blames-rte-clown-for-black-card-rules-433881.html
Black card rule was passed at Congress 3 months before that Cavanagh's foul and Brolly's rant.

Spot on. Looking forward to Brolly's response, he never forgets about a shot across his bows.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

joemamas

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 06, 2016, 11:51:22 AM

Spot on. Looking forward to Brolly's response, he never forgets about a shot across his bows.

Not to restart All-Ireland thread again, but are his comments a tad hypocritical given his waving of the imaginary card after he was fouled by Lee Keegan.
Additionally, I wonder if he was asked about the pathetic PR job by his fellow county "clown" on RTE, made between the drawn game and the replay, what would his response be.

Oh wait a minute, isin't this the same guy who got his black card rescinded in 2015 by committee headed by a retired supreme court judge on the morning of the 2015 replay.

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/diarmuid-connolly-dra/309735

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on December 06, 2016, 10:32:26 AM

Here comes AZOffaly.....

?

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, please refer to ad nauseum posts. The Black Card was voted on and planned BEFORE ............

I couldn't be bothered anymore. People are idiots.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 06, 2016, 01:36:55 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 06, 2016, 10:32:26 AM

Here comes AZOffaly.....

?

Oh, I see what you mean. Yes, please refer to ad nauseum posts. The Black Card was voted on and planned BEFORE ............

I couldn't be bothered anymore. People are idiots.

I vote to rename it the Trump Card.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: joemamas on December 06, 2016, 01:26:18 PM

Not to restart All-Ireland thread again, but are his comments a tad hypocritical given his waving of the imaginary card after he was fouled by Lee Keegan.
Additionally, I wonder if he was asked about the pathetic PR job by his fellow county "clown" on RTE, made between the drawn game and the replay, what would his response be.

Oh wait a minute, isin't this the same guy who got his black card rescinded in 2015 by committee headed by a retired supreme court judge on the morning of the 2015 replay.

We all know Big Aido and Mayo introduced the imaginary card waving.

There was no black card recinded by the DRA when he engaged with the disciplinary process after being hauled down again by Keegan last year.

gammysolo

Quote from: joemamas on December 06, 2016, 01:26:18 PM

Was poor form by Connolly considering Leroy never appealed his red card for lashing out at Donnachadh Welsh against Kerry in 2014

yellowcard

So Connolly's opinion carries more weight and is laden in fact simply because he is the best footballer in the country? Since when did Diarmuid Connolly become spokesperson for all gaels?

Like a lot of people I imagine, I have a conflicted view of Brolly. One minute you are left lauding him the next minute loathing him but he is never boring, I'd say that much.

Buttofthehill

I think Connolly has a point regarding the black card being used for (goal) scoring chances. I mean Keegan's foul this year was cynical - Connolly would have had a clear scoring chance but by the letter of the law maybe wasn't a black.

Take Cooper's. It was silly but cynical? Im not sure that type of foul warrants a black card but by the letter of the law it was the right call.

The trouble would be if a team was winning and started blatantly fouling 50 yards out (Mayo, 12, Dublin 13) How you legislate for that shite is the problem.

Jinxy

Define a goal scoring chance?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

If the forward swears he can see the whites of the keeper's eyes.

rosnarun

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 18, 2016, 04:14:33 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:38:58 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 03:21:23 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 18, 2016, 02:56:34 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 18, 2016, 02:46:23 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 18, 2016, 01:23:57 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 18, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
I'd agree with Joe in principle in terms of the increasing regularity with which the incredibly serious issue of mental health seems to be used to shut down debate.
I have no doubt that Caroline has been contacted by players and has passed them on to the appropriate service, but I don't see what that has to do with sports psychology.
She's effectively saying players would commit suicide without sports psychologists.
If the team masseur was a good listener and the players would confide in him about mental health, that's great but I'm not sure that it validates the health benefits of message.
That's a hypothetical example, I love a good massage, but you see what I'm saying... hopefully.
That said, Joe's initial premise (which started all this) which conflated motivational speaking and self-help gurus with sports psychology was utter nonsense as well.

She doesn't say that though. She highlights the shortage of clinical psychologists and I would read it simply as saying that sports psychologists are finding that their role has taking on a deeper personal involvement, filling the void. She highlights Conor Cusack's role with the GPA as doing something similar. I see on Twitter Joe the hero thinks he knows more about suicide and counseling and highlights two of his clients committed suicide in the last 2 weeks. The man is repugnant.

She alludes to it, the quote again is :

Quotehow important it is for sports psychologists around this country going into these clubs

Now I doubt any professional sports psychologist is going to volunteer their time and services and make themselves available to "these clubs" when necessary. She is trying to push her profession and using suicide prevention to try to shame Brolly and anyone else into silence. A scurrilous act.

Instead of attacking her, maybe we should consider that she might have identified a serious problem? I am not saying that Sports Psychologists are the answer to it, but we must at least look at the issue.

The issue is being looked at I think muppet, clubs now have to appoint Health and Wellbeing Officers who are trained in the area.

Looking at the job description, it is a long way short of a qualified psychologist (be it sports or otherwise): http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/HWO-Role-Description.pdf

Of course they are not going to be qualified psychologists but they are trained to deal with situations when they arise, where to seek advice and how to identify if anyone is in need of help. A hell of a lot more helpful that someone who can listen and pull bits they half heard at a GPA shindig.

This is a genuine question, as I don't know, but are sports psychologists, not qualified psychologists?

anyone can call themselves a 'psychologist' but 'sport  psychologist' is restricted by law as are more other specialized psychologists posts
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 03:38:38 PM

Without going all soccer on it, you could use the last man back scenario and go from there. I would trust the refs to use their common sense, something which the black card presently doesn't allow. Yes it would be open to interpretation but we are going to have to trust the refs judgement one way or the other.

five points

Quote from: Buttofthehill on December 07, 2016, 02:48:08 PM
The trouble would be if a team was winning and started blatantly fouling 50 yards out (Mayo, 12, Dublin 13) How you legislate for that shite is the problem.

Every "cynical" foul at midfield or within a team's own half of the field results in a 45.
Every "cynical" foul within the 45m and 20m lines results in a 20m free.
Every "cynical" foul within the 20m line results in a penalty.