Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 09:52:30 AM
I understand that, just it seems to me people are usually more effectively dismissed by laughing at them rather than ranting about them.

I don't think anyone is ranting about him.
Joe is in danger of sliding completely down into Dunphy territory, which would be a pity as he's an intelligent chap who can be very interesting to listen to when he's not playing to the crowd.
Unfortunately, he seems to be embracing this, "Fair play to you for saying it, Joe!" stuff on Twitter, which feeds into this cycle of unnecessary personal attacks.
His latest series of articles conflate motivational speaking with the field of sports psychology.
Whatever he thinks about any of this stuff, it's unfair to single out individuals who work in this field in order to deride their efforts or portray them as charlatans.
I don't know Enda McNulty or Kieran Shannon, but I'm sure they'll take the high road and ignore Joe's nonsense as best they can, but invariably someone will seek them out for comment.
Then again, knowing Joe he probably bumped into the two of them in B&Q since he wrote the articles and they told him he was dead right.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

haranguerer

You don't think anyone is ranting about him? Have you read this thread?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on November 08, 2016, 09:35:20 AM
McNulty's line of business is f**king rotten to say the least.
Another well thought out unbiased contribution from the bushes.

Jinxy

Quote from: haranguerer on November 08, 2016, 10:54:19 AM
You don't think anyone is ranting about him? Have you read this thread?

Maybe I missed the ranting.
Or maybe I ignored it because the same people do the same ranting on every thread.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 08, 2016, 11:03:30 AM
Another well thought out unbiased contribution from the bushes.

Care to unburden your well thought out and unbiased contention to that point?

Or is it in fact you, who offers nonsense from the bushes?

Kickham csc

Quote from: Main Street on November 07, 2016, 04:37:22 PM
Quote from: dferg on November 07, 2016, 04:04:03 PM
That's at least 3 times Joe has rehashed the same article with a different name.

The story about the Antrim players laughing about the balloon would have had a better punchline if the players had said and then we ditched the psychologist and have been winning matches ever since.
No psychologist,  it was a recorded message from a hypnotist, words played on machine, therefore in Joe's eyes, all sports psychology is bunkum.

I was there. The proper punchline for the episode; 

After a couple of minutes of listening to the recording and watching the players "focus", with a number of the player's hands rising in the air along with the imaginary inflating balloon.

The manager then said, very calmly " OK lads lets go"..... which was followed by half the team jumping up screaming and hitting each other, "C'mon ta F%^k, get stuck in to those Cavan F$%kers".

So much for the controlled claim focus of the previous minutes.

Funny as hell.

Regarding the psychologist in question. He was a snake oil salesman, who in his mind was the best coach / manager / psychologist / mediator / councilor /  tactician.

This wasn't the work of a sports psychologist, it was the work of a man who stayed in the Holiday Inn the night before and thought he invented sports psychology

tonto1888

could yuo expand on this

ck

I look forward to the day when Brolly and Spillane take over a senior team and see how they get on!

seafoid

Joe should address Trump cos it is far richer BS territory than sport psychology
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

quit yo jibbajabba

"ah was just talkin to Donald last week hi"

PMG1

Joe is managing his U16 team in the Paul McGirr tournament quarter final tomorrow, won Antrim title so putting
his management credentials on the line at Ulster level now

Jinxy

I enjoyed his article yesterday, I have to say.
Linked in well with the US election, and made some very good points.

JoG2

yellowcard

Brolly, for someone who has a non-journalistic background is a brilliant writer. Arguably the best sports journalist out there at the minute when he is not being vindictive. Yesterday's article was another fine piece and Brolly is never too far from the truth. 

DuffleKing

Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2016, 11:54:07 AM
Brolly, for someone who has a non-journalistic background is a brilliant writer. Arguably the best sports journalist out there at the minute when he is not being vindictive. Yesterday's article was another fine piece and Brolly is never too far from the truth.

Brolly is a brilliant writer, no question. He is a terrible sports journalist though.