Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Jinxy, you missed this part of how great Joe is...

About six weeks ago, we noticed that one of our under 16s suddenly wasn't playing with confidence. We wondered why. I watched him carefully one evening during a training match I was refereeing and noticed that when he was kicking the ball with his natural left, he was rolling his left shoulder back and stretching his left arm out from his body. So, when he struck the ball, he was leaning back, his left arm was pulling him off balance and with his body slightly skewed, he was no longer striking the ball with the sweet spot of his foot. After the session, we spent 15 minutes getting rid of this affectation, holding his head down while he kicked, pushing his left shoulder from behind to keep it in position. We worked on this again at the next session. The problem was solved. His kicking was back to normal. His confidence returned.

Jinxy

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/his-principles-are-completely-movable-colm-orourke-on-joe-brollys-football-views/101490

"You see, Joe would be like the wind - it changes around very often," he said.

"It could be Mayo next year, it could be Kerry. Joe will change anyway, we don't have to worry about him. His principles are completely movable."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

He is right about Kieran Shannon.  Mayo scored 1-14 in the last 2 heartache finals. No score last day off the bad foot. Oisin McConville and Mickey Linden both scored off their bad foot in All Irelands that were won. At one level Mayo are a joke. 95% there and they will not address something that is fixable.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on November 07, 2016, 11:49:51 AM
He is right about Kieran Shannon.  Mayo scored 1-14 in the last 2 heartache finals. No score last day off the bad foot. Oisin McConville and Mickey Linden both scored off their bad foot in All Irelands that were won. At one level Mayo are a joke. 95% there and they will not address something that is fixable.

it hurts after a while doesn't it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Zulu

What do you mean? Mayo work tirelessly on the weaker side (all counties do I'm sure) but that doesn't mean all players will become lethal on both sides. Players have natural limitations and no amount of practice will break that ceiling. Mayo have everything bar one or two high class scorers but I've no doubt they are working on maximising their abilities every year. Joe is just taking cheap shots with the benefit of hindsight. Joe's story about the U16 sounds fairly dubious to me.

seafoid

Quote from: Fuzzman on October 24, 2016, 05:58:56 PM
Joe in his early RTE days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep0OuOfWS6o
They always try to pick out the eloqent players or the ones who can get an idea across. It's easier now with Twitter.

Whitehair

QuoteJoe's story about the U16 sounds fairly dubious to me.

The housemate and I went over to St Brigid's pitch one evening a month ago and came across Joe taking the U16s.  Players were in a game of backs v forwards at the end of the session. Joe( in suit trousers and shirt) with a running commentary "Losers make excuses, winners get on with winning!" but at one stage he did take a young lad aside correcting him with the coaching points of the punt pass. That may have been the extent of it, but sure it doesn't make for as good a yarn in the paper.   

heffo

Quote from: Zulu on November 07, 2016, 12:22:21 PM
Joe's story about the U16 sounds fairly dubious to me.

Man with two pints

Main Street

Not for the first time Joe is confused with the difference between 'witch doctory' and a professional.
I suppose it's all too easy to get confused between the dubious motivational words of a hypnotist played on a tape in the dressing room in a desperate last ditch effort right before a championship game and the input of an experienced MSc in sports psychology in a team over a period of months.

muppet

Quote from: DuffleKing on November 07, 2016, 11:32:04 AM

Jinxy, you missed this part of how great Joe is...

About six weeks ago, we noticed that one of our under 16s suddenly wasn't playing with confidence. We wondered why. I watched him carefully one evening during a training match I was refereeing and noticed that when he was kicking the ball with his natural left, he was rolling his left shoulder back and stretching his left arm out from his body. So, when he struck the ball, he was leaning back, his left arm was pulling him off balance and with his body slightly skewed, he was no longer striking the ball with the sweet spot of his foot. After the session, we spent 15 minutes getting rid of this affectation, holding his head down while he kicked, pushing his left shoulder from behind to keep it in position. We worked on this again at the next session. The problem was solved. His kicking was back to normal. His confidence returned.

I have seen twelve year olds teaching 8 year olds to kick properly. They manage to do it without applying for Mensa.
MWWSI 2017

dferg

That's at least 3 times Joe has rehashed the same article with a different name.

The story about the Antrim players laughing about the balloon would have had a better punchline if the players had said and then we ditched the psychologist and have been winning matches ever since.

Main Street

Quote from: dferg on November 07, 2016, 04:04:03 PM
That's at least 3 times Joe has rehashed the same article with a different name.

The story about the Antrim players laughing about the balloon would have had a better punchline if the players had said and then we ditched the psychologist and have been winning matches ever since.
No psychologist,  it was a recorded message from a hypnotist, words played on machine, therefore in Joe's eyes, all sports psychology is bunkum.

ck

I like Brolly. I like a lot about him. However, his latest article on Sports Psychology is utter garbage. Anyone who uses a bullshit story about a hypnotist on a tape recorder and lads holding balloons and thinks that's sports psychology clearly is trying to comically entertain rather than inform and educate.

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on November 07, 2016, 04:37:22 PM
Quote from: dferg on November 07, 2016, 04:04:03 PM

No psychologist,  it was a recorded message from a hypnotist, words played on machine, therefore in Joe's eyes, all sports psychology is bunkum.
If it worked with Mayo it wouldn't be
He made some good points about what Mayo have not been doing in the article.
Not scoring off the weak foot is criminal at that level.

yellowcard

There is a place for sports psychology if used properly and from the right people. However the gist of Brolly's argument is true. This industry is full of bluffers and spiv's simply in it for a quick buck. There are plenty of corporate motivational guru's who throw out a load of mumbo jumbo lingo to impress an audience who are forced to buy into this positivity talk. I've no doubt there are some people who buy into it but I find the whole thing extremely false and full of pretence.