Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 14, 2016, 09:09:57 AM
are people trying to say it wasnt a penalty?
Just the one person by the looks of it and let him fire away.

easytiger95

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 14, 2016, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 14, 2016, 03:41:17 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 14, 2016, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 14, 2016, 01:32:04 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 14, 2016, 11:22:48 AM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on October 14, 2016, 10:59:57 AM
I suppose I disagree in that I think Hennelly knew what he was doing after he touched the ball first. What it does though is show the difficult job the ref has. We cant agree after seeing the incident so many times never mind having to make a decision in a split second.

We definitely disagree alright, Hennelly for me is in a bit of a blind panic and realises he has to get something on the ball. His arms are outstretched and are aimed totally at the ball, which he slaps, and his momentum carries him into Andrews. Absolutely agree how difficult a job the ref has, which is why we should use video technology. In fact one of the camera angle shows the incident from Deegans angle and you can see why he gave the penalty. However the other angles give a clearer picture.

How would a video referee help if ye still can't agree on whether it was a penalty or not 2 weeks after the event and having watched it as often as ye wanted.

Very simple, if it is not immediately obvious then it can't be given. I'm repeating myself here but take the black cards the last day, two huge decisions. Video reviews would immediately show there wasn't concrete proof that Keegan dragged Connolly to the ground whereas it can clearly be seen that Cooper grabs Vaughans leg and trips him.

But my point was that what one person sees as 'immediately obvious' another disagrees with.

some people think it is immediately obvious that hennelly pulled down andrews. Others think it is immediately obvious that he didn't foul him.

I'm not against video technology being used, but when we have rules that are open to interpretation and we have humans adjudicating on same there will always be contentious issues that people don't agree on (with or without technology).

Sorry, forgot to add, I'd have 2 or ideally 3 video referees and it'd have to be a unanimous decision between the 2 or 3 of them. It would have to be fairly instantaneous too, none of the slow wind/rewind decisions we see the video ref in rugby, they get one chance to look at each camera angle and they have to give an instant decision. If all 2/3 aren't in quick agreement then the decision can't be given and play resumes with whoever was in possession.

Hey Croí

I have some experience of working with video refs - it can't be instantaneous - the whole point of it is to take the time to give the correct decision. The rolling back and forth of camera angles is all at the request of the video ref, so you can see the care they take to make the decisions. If you're not willing to give them the time to do it, then there is no point having them there.

There's also no way you could have two or three video refs - they have to be in the TV truck, and there is usually no room for more than one. Also, there just wouldn't be enough refs to go around.

Personally I think for a game that doesn't have a lot of setpiece breaks in play, you're actually better off beefing up the personnel out on the field. Remove time keeping from the refs responsibility, have a referee in each half, or failing that, redefine the role of linesman.

And you could do all that, and it would still be a stone cold peno for Andrews  :D

Jinxy

Show the replay on the big screen and whichever set of fans roars the loudest wins.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: easytiger95 on October 14, 2016, 04:44:42 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 14, 2016, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: westbound on October 14, 2016, 03:41:17 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 14, 2016, 02:10:44 PM
I suppose I disagree in that I think Hennelly knew what he was doing after he touched the ball first. What it does though is show the difficult job the ref has. We cant agree after seeing the incident so many times never mind having to make a decision in a split second.

We definitely disagree alright, Hennelly for me is in a bit of a blind panic and realises he has to get something on the ball. His arms are outstretched and are aimed totally at the ball, which he slaps, and his momentum carries him into Andrews. Absolutely agree how difficult a job the ref has, which is why we should use video technology. In fact one of the camera angle shows the incident from Deegans angle and you can see why he gave the penalty. However the other angles give a clearer picture.

How would a video referee help if ye still can't agree on whether it was a penalty or not 2 weeks after the event and having watched it as often as ye wanted.

Very simple, if it is not immediately obvious then it can't be given. I'm repeating myself here but take the black cards the last day, two huge decisions. Video reviews would immediately show there wasn't concrete proof that Keegan dragged Connolly to the ground whereas it can clearly be seen that Cooper grabs Vaughans leg and trips him.

But my point was that what one person sees as 'immediately obvious' another disagrees with.

some people think it is immediately obvious that hennelly pulled down andrews. Others think it is immediately obvious that he didn't foul him.

I'm not against video technology being used, but when we have rules that are open to interpretation and we have humans adjudicating on same there will always be contentious issues that people don't agree on (with or without technology).

Sorry, forgot to add, I'd have 2 or ideally 3 video referees and it'd have to be a unanimous decision between the 2 or 3 of them. It would have to be fairly instantaneous too, none of the slow wind/rewind decisions we see the video ref in rugby, they get one chance to look at each camera angle and they have to give an instant decision. If all 2/3 aren't in quick agreement then the decision can't be given and play resumes with whoever was in possession.

Hey Croí

I have some experience of working with video refs - it can't be instantaneous - the whole point of it is to take the time to give the correct decision. The rolling back and forth of camera angles is all at the request of the video ref, so you can see the care they take to make the decisions. If you're not willing to give them the time to do it, then there is no point having them there.

There's also no way you could have two or three video refs - they have to be in the TV truck, and there is usually no room for more than one. Also, there just wouldn't be enough refs to go around.

Personally I think for a game that doesn't have a lot of setpiece breaks in play, you're actually better off beefing up the personnel out on the field. Remove time keeping from the refs responsibility, have a referee in each half, or failing that, redefine the role of linesman.

And you could do all that, and it would still be a stone cold peno for Andrews  :D

That's a nice piece of insight easytiger, I presume it was rugby video refs or were there other codes? With rugby the rolling back and forth of film seems to be all about technical calls, was the ball grounded in a ruck, was the ball thrown forward, foot over the line, etc. I presume they have to be in the truck to instruct which clip etc they want to be replayed again etc. What I proposed wouldn't need them to be in the truck though as they would be fed a replay of the incident from the camera angles available (usually 3-4) in real time. If an infraction isn't clear, obvious and unanimous then it isn't given and we move on. If we have the same 2-3 video refs at every venue we should get better consistency, certainly in Croke Park anyway.

If that system was in place I can't see that penalty being awarded. It was a lunge in desperation from Hennelly but it was a tackle at the ball and he broke it away. No way 2-3 video refs unanimously give that as a penalty.

Time keeping should absolutely be removed from referees as well, as with the black card the GAA is intent on having the same setup for Junior B games as AI finals. Where we have the technology and facilities we should use them.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

I would assume that a video ref would have more objective football sense and knowledge of the rules, than the people here who think it wasn't a penalty.

His black card was a blessing in disguise.

MoChara

muppet

Quote from: MoChara on October 19, 2016, 09:00:10 AM
http://www.punditarena.com/gaa/bbarry/joe-brolly-kieran-donaghy-twitter/

Joe Brolly and Kieran Donaghy having a slaggin match on twitter

Is Joe Brolly really a qualified barrister?

MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 09:53:01 AM

He is indeed...

http://www.barofni.com/page/practising-barristers

I quite enjoyed their bit of craic on Twitter... How f**king desperate are these click bait sites having to put up stories about a couple of lads having craic on Twitter?!!

MoChara

Quote from: screenexile on October 19, 2016, 09:56:54 AM

He is indeed...

I quite enjoyed their bit of craic on Twitter... How f**king desperate are these click bait sites having to put up stories about a couple of lads having craic on Twitter?!!

I hate myself for clicking on them lol, the worst is that new Irish GAA Banter page on Facebook they never f**k off with their ticket competitions, BTW add them on snapchat if you want to go see Coldplay.

ziggysego

Quote from: screenexile on October 19, 2016, 09:56:54 AM

He is indeed...

Kieran has a book coming out. This banter, as fun as it was, it was done so these sites would have clickbait and therefore, free advertisement for the book ;)
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

With  wind vane flexibility, Joe has the shameless knack of getting behind every team after they have the won the AI. Then enhanced and bolstered by that association, he uses their winning exploits to bolster his arguments/slagging off other 'lesser' teams/players.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on October 19, 2016, 01:12:18 PM

With  wind vane flexibility, Joe has the shameless knack of getting behind every team after they have the won the AI. Then enhanced and bolstered by that association, he uses their winning exploits to bolster his arguments/slagging of other 'lesser' teams/players.

That's it in a nutshell.

Bandwagon Brolly.
MWWSI 2017

Fuzzman

whitey

I have a serious problem with a "pundit" attempting to influence the officiating of a game that will favor one side I've another. Whether he did or not, he claims credit for having done so and that is disgraceful

Jinxy

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-why-i-cant-lose-with-a-career-in-the-bullshit-industry-35191230.html

'In truth, the law has been grinding me down. The endless trials. The late-night preparation for cross-examination. Reading complex legislation and case law. Being in daily contact with real-life misery and desperate hardship. Working with addicts, sociopaths, psychopaths. The grieving parents. The suicides. Seeing the fallout of austerity on the poorest people in society as public services are eroded and young mothers turn to shoplifting and worse to make ends meet.
Then there is the nightly work with cystic fibrosis and transplant patients and Optforlife.'

We get it Joe, you're great.
If you were any use you'd be playing.