Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iorras

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 10, 2016, 01:17:24 PM
Would Hennelly have been better off saying nothing and keeping his head down though?

No, his message was to the Mayo fans. This is nobody else's f**king business except Rob Hennelly and people from Mayo who have an interest in the mayo football team.
unlike as Joe would seem to want you to believe, he didn't call a press conference or issue a statement through an "agent", he put up a post on instagram directed to the mayo fans. If he cant do that because some jumped up fuckwit who hasn't a tenth of the integrity or courage or honour that some of those Mayo players have, for fear that someone might write something spiteful about it then honestly we may as well just forget about it.

And all those commentators out there, be they paid or otherwise who lauded the two teams for such a great contest need to be calling out this shit from Brolly. Its not good enough when he just does this to people time and time again and everyone just goes "ah sure that's Joe". There are consequences to his actions and he should be called out for them.

GalwayBayBoy

Would Hennelly have been better off saying nothing and keeping his head down though?

Probably but it's a different world these days to when Joe was plying his trade. Lads in their 20's have pretty much been using social media for most of their lives. Practically grew up with it. It's second nature to them.

iorras

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 10, 2016, 10:59:33 AM
Quote from: iorras on October 10, 2016, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: Rudi on October 10, 2016, 10:20:36 AM
Quote from: screenexile on October 10, 2016, 10:17:26 AM
I see Brolly had a cut at Hennelly yesterday... probably a bit OTT but why did Hennelly feel the need to release a public statement about playing a bad game? There was no need for it!!

Its harsh I would not have a cut at a person like that. However like a lot Brolly has to say, its not far from the truth, including his comments about my own county in the summer.
Hennelly released a statement to the Mayo fans, its not possible for them to individually address ever Mayo fan without the rest of the world seeing it. he did it on instagram. The way Brolly seems to talk about it (I don't know, I wont read it) its as if Hennelly held a press conference on the steps of the dail. Lee Keegan also released a "statement", on twitter. No talk about that? Alan Dillon released a "statement" also as did other players from both side. Even Kilkenny and Tipp players did it, shock horror. I suppose Alan Dillon is a serial loser as well because hes had the cheek to keep training, playing and trying since 2003? Might it have something to do with Hennelly being heavily involved with the GPA? Does Joe have another agenda? No, your right he doesn't, hes just a f**king physcopath with a typewriter. no celtic cross has even been worth so much to one man, if he hadn't been lucky enough to win one he'd have nothing to say, his whole platform is built around the fact that he won one. Well Joe in large parts of Kerry and Cork you'd be considered a serial loser as well with your one poxy medal.

Why isn't he talking about a Dublin player headbutting Tom Parsons and leaving him with seven stitches?

probably because it didnt happen
Yes it did, I'd stand up in court and attest to seeing it because I did and many others did also.

Jinxy

If you're on social media, and you use it to communicate your thoughts on a regular basis, do you pretend it never happened, or do you address it and move on?
If he said nothing at all about it people would probably genuinely worry for him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

whitey

Quote from: Jinxy on October 10, 2016, 02:52:14 PM

If you're on social media, and you use it to communicate your thoughts on a regular basis, do you pretend it never happened, or do you address it and move on?
If he said nothing at all about it people would probably genuinely worry for him.

Whether it's accurate or not some Mayo supporters feel that Hennely is personally responsible for Mayo losing 2 Senior AIFs. (They conveniently forget the 4/5 point blank saves he made to keep Mayo in the game in 2013). Given the pressure cooker that is Mayo football and the hype that surrounds the 65 year wait for Sam, I genuinely feared for the lads well being in the aftermath of the game last Saturday.  The statement he released allayed any fear I had for his wellbeing

Joe is a bully and a blowhard and showed his true colors by kicking a man who was down

longballin

Keepers and players have been losing All Ireland finals for decades making huge mistakes in these games - is every dispointment a mental health issue now?

ciaraa

Quote from: redhandefender on October 10, 2016, 01:47:53 PM

who cares? that's not the point. who can actually say if he would be better to or not? Joe isn't the lord almighty.

I tell ye if it was me on the other end I would not be short of throwing a bit of personal abuse back at the man as there is plenty of skeletons in the wardrobe. If hes man enough to dish it out!

Yeah but stooping to that level is never the solution. Reminds me of Jim Jeffries bit about the bible:

"The bible, that's gods book, as far as I know the devil hasn't brought out a book yet, haven't heard his side of the argument. God's just writing sh1t about him, and the devil's being the bigger man and saying I'm not even going to comment, talking sh1t about me like that."

muppet

Quote from: longballin on October 10, 2016, 03:35:53 PM
Keepers and players have been losing All Ireland finals for decades making huge mistakes in these games - is every dispointment a mental health issue now?

People lost money and went out of business for decades, so why did suicides outnumber road deaths during the financial crisis? One big reason is that it is contagious and that for the last decade we have had a serious problem with it. A second is that we are far more aware of it now. I wonder how many of those lads you mentioned 'hit the bottle' or 'withdrew into themselves'?

Regarding Brolly, there is no more despicable individual than the person who deliberately kicks you when you are down, in my opinion. Especially one who chooses to do that on a national stage. Joe Brolly is the undefeated world champion of that particular discipline. He is a terrible parasite on our game and represents everything bad in our culture. He is little more than insults, belittling his target du jour, rubbishing players who give everything to their sport, he is begrudgery at its worst and most of all he is all about himself. He is the Donald Trump of the GAA world. Like Trump he is all bluster and offers very little insight. Compare him with Peter Canavan on Sky. Or even the hurling pundits on The Sunday Game.

The fact that all of above, is one of the main faces of our game, on national TV and a national paper, is utterly dismaying.
MWWSI 2017

longballin

Quote from: muppet on October 10, 2016, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: longballin on October 10, 2016, 03:35:53 PM

People lost money and went out of business for decades, so why did suicides outnumber road deaths during the financial crisis? One big reason is that it is contagious and that for the last decade we have had a serious problem with it. A second is that we are far more aware of it now. I wonder how many of those lads you mentioned 'hit the bottle' or 'withdrew into themselves'?

Regarding Brolly, there is no more despicable individual than the person who deliberately kicks you when you are down, in my opinion. Especially one who chooses to do that on a national stage. Joe Brolly is the undefeated world champion of that particular discipline. He is a terrible parasite on our game and represents everything bad in our culture. He is little more than insults, belittling his target du jour, rubbishing players who give everything to their sport, he is begrudgery at its worst and most of all he is all about himself. He is the Donald Trump of the GAA world. Like Trump he is all bluster and offers very little insight. Compare him with Peter Canavan on Sky. Or even the hurling pundits on The Sunday Game.

The fact that all of above, is one of the main faces of our game, on national TV and a national paper, is utterly dismaying.

I'm not defending Brolly and I dont think the keeper should be abused i just wonder at some in the media and here thinking he shouldnt feel disapointed or annoyed. Its very normal to feel that way after such a loss...

whitey

. Watching the game in a room full of Mayo people stateside, who are getting real time social media updates from friends and family who are in Croke Park, I actually feared for the lads wellbeing with what I was hearing and seeing.

I don't know Hennelly personally and I am gone so long from Mayo that  I only know a few people who are loosely connected with the panel but in the immediate aftermath of the game I actually contemplated reaching out to one such person to make sure someone was keeping an eye out for him. I can only guess that his parents/family/friends were thinking exactly the same thing and I felt very relieved when I saw the statement that he's now being maligned for

(Another Mayo club not a million miles from Breaffy suffered a double tragedy last year  that could have been averted if people were paying closer attention)

longballin

Quote from: whitey on October 10, 2016, 04:50:01 PM
. Watching the game in a room full of Mayo people stateside, who are getting real time social media updates from friends and family who are in Croke Park, I actually feared for the lads wellbeing with what I was hearing and seeing.

I don't know Hennelly personally and I am gone so long from Mayo that  I only know a few people who are loosely connected with the panel but in the immediate aftermath of the game I actually contemplated reaching out to one such person to make sure someone was keeping an eye out for him. I can only guess that his parents/family/friends were thinking exactly the same thing and I felt very relieved when I saw the statement that he's now being maligned for

(Another Mayo club not a million miles from Breaffy suffered a double tragedy last year  that could have been averted if people were paying closer attention)

you dont know if it could have been alerted or not... had someone very close to me take his life and everything was done to try and help him... so you don't know that

Fuzzman

What amazes me about Brolly is how quickly people are to forgive him for his personal outburts.
The story of Cluxton wanting to punch him but then shaking his hand is typical of how Joe can use his personality and wit to bring people around to like him.
I'd say McGeaney and Grimley would be slower to put up with his chat. Did I read in one of his articles that he likes RTE as they put no limits on what he can or cannot say.

In my opinion, he seems to use the whole attending sick people in hospital and going to Novena masses etc as a way to balance up what people think of him. He does seem to put a lot of effort and time into that which is admirable but it just seems to highlight the other side of him as he attacks GAA players and managers at will.

whitey

Quote from: longballin on October 10, 2016, 05:02:13 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 10, 2016, 04:50:01 PM

you dont know if it could have been alerted or not... had someone very close to me take his life and everything was done to try and help him... so you don't know that

Sorry for your loss, but if you knew the specifics of the situation in question you may have a different opinion. (I should have said "most likely" could have been averted)

muppet

Given the choice of the following articles:

Laud the champions

Or

Kick the losers while they are down

Which one do people think Joe would leap at?
MWWSI 2017

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: redhandefender on October 10, 2016, 01:47:53 PM

who cares? that's not the point. who can actually say if he would be better to or not? Joe isn't the lord almighty.

I tell ye if it was me on the other end I would not be short of throwing a bit of personal abuse back at the man as there is plenty of skeletons in the wardrobe. If hes man enough to dish it out!

I just think he would be better off putting his head down and waiting for it to blow over. I think Brolly has gone over the top a bit (as usual) and the timing is a little too soon but I think he does have a point. If you were a player who made a big mistake in a big game I think the best thing to do is keep your head down and look to make up for it with actions rather than words. Talk is cheap as they say and the cynic in me does thing is was a bit of PR "please forgive me" angle.

I guess I agree with Tony Soprano. Where are all the strong silent types gone these days? We are left with generation snowflake who need hugs and kisses every time they have a setback, try and take it on the chin for a change. I have a very cynical disposition toward the mental well being and mindfulness that is being pushed at every angle now and the money certain people and companies are making out of this.