Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Did Joe ever respond to Jarlath Burns after he called bullshit on their conversation?

Did anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on September 20, 2016, 07:46:56 PM
I don't take Brolly too seriously and he is intelligent and can be very entertaining as well. However he has a vicious tongue on him at times and that article was an opportunistic cheap shot at an excellent team on the morning of an AI final. He works off a set agenda and one of these agendas is the 'Dublin are saving Gaelic football' school of thought. Mayo were simply the team caught in the cross fires. I happen to share his opinion on Dublin in the sense that they are the best side to watch playing Gaelic football. However much of their corporate bullshit speak about 'processes' and with their massive back room staff of about 20 and their PR officer sheltering the players from the public is entirely at odds with Brollys community based philosophy. Joe is a bundle of contradictions. Entertaining but someone I wouldn't take too serious.
The Indo also had an article featuring a quote from Eamon McGee saying the 2 of the Donegal players went drinking the night before the 2012 final "because it was only Mayo".
I hope Mayo cream the Dubs the next day.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

redzone

Quote from: square_ball on September 20, 2016, 08:54:55 PM
Did Joe ever respond to Jarlath Burns after he called bullshit on their conversation?

Did anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

Yeah just watched it back and that did happen. compared to sky's analysis pre game there is some difference. Rte panel just hash about years and teams gone by

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on September 20, 2016, 07:46:56 PM
I don't take Brolly too seriously and he is intelligent and can be very entertaining as well. However he has a vicious tongue on him at times and that article was an opportunistic cheap shot at an excellent team on the morning of an AI final. He works off a set agenda and one of these agendas is the 'Dublin are saving Gaelic football' school of thought. Mayo were simply the team caught in the cross fires. I happen to share his opinion on Dublin in the sense that they are the best side to watch playing Gaelic football. However much of their corporate bullshit speak about 'processes' and with their massive back room staff of about 20 and their PR officer sheltering the players from the public is entirely at odds with Brollys community based philosophy. Joe is a bundle of contradictions. Entertaining but someone I wouldn't take too serious.

Joe won't be long turning on the Dubs when it suits him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Halfquarter

I found Brolly's article quite depressing .
Normally amateur players aren't singled out in the media for a butchering, and this is a good thing. It's fair enough in soccer, when the abuse comes with a large paycheck , but for amateur players it should be out of the question.

highorlow

QuoteI found Brolly's article quite depressing .
Normally amateur players aren't singled out in the media for a butchering, and this is a good thing. It's fair enough in soccer, when the abuse comes with a large paycheck , but for amateur players it should be out of the question.

After the Tyrone game Joe wrote an article dishing out plaudits to AOS. Compared to Sunday's article it's like two different people writing these articles. It doesn't make sense.

I also briefly met Joe at this Tyrone game. He comes across as a few cards short of a full deck and this clearly comes across in his writing and his facial expressions on the SG. He is now due a "talk up" article about us for the replay, just wait and see.

In any case this all appears to be a case of multiple personality disorder so I think we should go easy on the poor little man.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteDid anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

Did Spillane come up with his usual "3 tings that are needed to win this match" and then dreams up just two tings. Happens every time and is very funny.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

iorras

Quote from: highorlow on September 21, 2016, 09:28:15 AM
QuoteI found Brolly's article quite depressing .

After the Tyrone game Joe wrote an article dishing out plaudits to AOS. Compared to Sunday's article it's like two different people writing these articles. It doesn't make sense.

I also briefly met Joe at this Tyrone game. He comes across as a few cards short of a full deck and this clearly comes across in his writing and his facial expressions on the SG. He is now due a "talk up" article about us for the replay, just wait and see.

In any case this all appears to be a case of multiple personality disorder so I think we should go easy on the poor little man.
is there professional help he can get for this? Anyone we can call on his behalf or am I making light of mental illness with those questions?

Jinxy

Not wanting to go down the 'mental illness' route, but in his interview with Paul Kimmage a while back Joe himself gave a good insight into his personality and some of his quirks.
I'll let you read the article for yourself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-walk-on-the-wild-side-paul-kimmage-meets-joe-brolly-29760681.html

square_ball

Quote from: highorlow on September 21, 2016, 09:42:23 AM
QuoteDid anyone hear on Sunday Brolly was on another of his I was talking to such and such and Spillane said to O'Rourke in the background how come we never be speaking to these people or something to that effect. Thought it was funny

Did Spillane come up with his usual "3 tings that are needed to win this match" and then dreams up just two tings. Happens every time and is very funny.

He said there were 3 tings why he thought Dublin would win so near enough. Think he got to 3 alright on this occasion!

screenexile

Quote from: Jinxy on September 21, 2016, 01:00:42 PM
Not wanting to go down the 'mental illness' route, but in his interview with Paul Kimmage a while back Joe himself gave a good insight into his personality and some of his quirks.
I'll let you read the article for yourself.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/a-walk-on-the-wild-side-paul-kimmage-meets-joe-brolly-29760681.html

I enjoy that piece and the dead dog story has me in stitches every time because it's a real Dungiven story and knowing anyone from there you can picture how that conversation went!

criostlinn

Joe Brolly spending a lot of time in Mayo recently. Any truth in the rumour that it is him and not McGuinness that has been drafted into the Mayo backroom team. Sunday's article may have been designed to provoke a reaction from the Mayo players

redhandefender

No mental illness just pure ego. Plenty of barristers are like this, they have to be to be successful at what they do. they are basically actors with a law degree.

He is full of s**t and I tune out now tbh. He seems to wave about some cause or another every few months so as to buy him carte blanche at attacking someone again.

All rather sickening

Jinxy

I've often wondered if there's an element of narcissism in everything Joe does.
I remember he was talking about Jody Devine on twitter a good while back.
The two had recently met at some fundraiser or other (Jody's daughter received a kidney transplant a few years ago).
Anyway, he made reference to the 6 points Jody scored in extra-time against Kildare in the first replay in '97.
I agreed with him that Jody was a legend but corrected him to say Jody actually scored 4 points, not 6.
He replied to say that I was wrong, it was 6 points.
Then I think I tweeted a link to the youtube video which shows the 4 points he scored.
Not a dickie-bird out of Joe in response.
Completely harmless stuff but it demonstrated to me that Joe, despite what he might say himself, always has to be the smartest boy in the class.

Fuzzman

Quote from: square_ball on September 20, 2016, 08:54:55 PM

Yeah I was laughing at this as well and I got the impression the other lads are fed up hearing Joe's amazing stories of how he mixes with these famous people and how he goes to hospitals to meet kids on their death beds. I mean don't get me wrong he probably has done a lot for sick kids but he always has to announce it to the world so he looks good.

Did you notice he was about to start another yarn about him with Derry when Lyster cut him off and talked about something else?

What were they chatting about at one stage when Brolly told Spillane that's a load of nonsense. Something to do with the GAA struggling in the 70s.