Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

yeah is a step to far to suggest he is that cynical... as it goes he's doing a good job calling out a lot of bullsh*t in the GAA though does come out with OTT stuff at times

Fuzzman

I wonder if Joe was manager of Derry would he be so keen to call out the problems for the current GAA big picture.
Would he stop the S&C work and let players have more time off to live a fuller life yet let them fall further behind other counties?

It's easy to say we're becoming too professional when you're an u14 manager and it's not all about winning but having fun yet he'll come on the TV and make scathing attacks on some managers and counties who are trying to rise to the levels of Dublin, Kerry and Mayo.

It all seems so 2 faced to me where he can totally insult one of his own RTE colleagues on live TV yet the next day he could be in some hospital attending a sick GAA kid, making sure we all hear about it in his next newspaper article.
Of course I'm biased with his hatred of all things Tyrone but I just feel there are two very opposite sides to the man.
One were he is too outspoken and rash with what he says and who he offends and then the other helping those who are sick or his work with the organ donation. Both get him very much in the national limelight which he craves.

Applesisapples

GAA is not a professional sport, yet the approach of most county squads now is at the very least semi-professional. Joe makes very valid points about player burn-out and the lack of fun in the game. The problem then arises that many players who have to work, balance family life and sport choose not to play. So you have what we have in Armagh and presumably other counties where players (and not all from Cross) decide not to commit to the county. In my opinion the wider GAA family is the loser in all of this.

DuffleKing

Says a lot about him when you consider how often he promotes all his charity / social work in the national media

longballin

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 15, 2016, 09:50:35 PM

Says a lot about him when you consider how often he promotes all his charity / social work in the national media

not sure if that is a compliment or criticism. Is good to promote those causes and people pay more heed to high profile people fronting causes...

DuffleKing

Quote from: longballin on June 16, 2016, 09:53:02 AM

not sure if that is a compliment or criticism. Is good to promote those causes and people pay more heed to high profile people fronting causes...

Consider this latest article - who benefited from that story?

JoG2

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 16, 2016, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 16, 2016, 09:53:02 AM

Consider this latest article - who benefited from that story?

I wouldn't be Brolly's biggest fan, but your hatred for the man (who does an unreal amount of good work, and for balance on my part,  the unnecessary personal digs) isn't healthy!

DuffleKing

You didn't answer the question

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 16, 2016, 11:56:05 AM

Dont be a prat DK and have some respect for that cubs family. It raised awareness of the tournament and if there comes a day when its profile is risen and funding for the childrens cancer ward is forthcoming then its beneficial.

Dinny Breen

Joe Brolly has a narcissistic personality disorder. He would be a textbook case.

According to the DSM-5, individuals with NPD have most or all of the following symptoms, typically without commensurate qualities or accomplishments:[5][8]

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others
    Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
    Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions
    Needing constant admiration from others
    Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
    Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain
    Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs
    Intensely jealous of others and the belief that others are equally jealous of them
    Pompous and arrogant demeanor
#newbridgeornowhere

theskull1

Ugh gawd love him  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

JoG2

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 16, 2016, 11:56:05 AM

you didn't ask me a question..but you asked who benefited...well the McCrossan family, who do not want the memory of their son to lessen within the community, the kids cancer charity clic sargant, a small junior football club, the competition itself as every club there signed up for next year. But all you see is your pet hate figure Joe Brolly benefiting. As i said earlier, its an unhealthy obsession you have

DuffleKing

That's one angle to paint all right.

Has he published this exact article before? I could swear I've read the rummaging for that jersey bit before.

longballin

I'd say Joe is feeling justified watching this debacle. Got it right

twohands!!!

Quote from: longballin on June 18, 2016, 04:49:51 PM
I'd say Joe is feeling justified watching this debacle. Got it right

Probably doing back flips inside in Owenbeg

Although Louth are 1-2 to 0-2 up so might not be too thrilled