Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

east down gael

I remember watching that game live and being disgusted by the incident.mcmanus showed the skill to get in on goal only to be cynically fouled and prevented from scoring.At the time I was screaming at the tv,in foul form over it.but when Id settled i soon realised every single player would have done the exact same thing.cant blame brolly for his rant,as it was live.kind of off topic,but I do see a place for a professional foul in football a la soccer.the black card is a joke.

rrhf

Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 11:38:19 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:23:33 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 10:57:02 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 10:37:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2016, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 06, 2016, 10:48:58 PM
Why is he so fixated on McGeeney (aside from the insult at Eamonn Coleman's funeral)?/b]

Armagh are far from the only county allegedly paying their manager and they aren't the only ones restricting access to county players.

Considering his diatribe on Sean Kavanagh, I suspect it may have something to do with his views on the GPA.
And being honest what was really wrong with what he said about Cavanagh? I was disappointed when he appologised on that one

said he was not a man... totally out of order

Surely its perfectly acceptable to question the integrity of a man that did what Sean did?

he said he wasn't a man that's a bit different from questioning his integrity

If you think that Brolly was challenging that Cavanagh was an adult nale of the human species then you are the only person on planet earth of this view

I know what he meant and it was out of order... it was totally personal because he has been gunning for Cavanagh for ages over his GPA role... I didnit like at all what Cavanagh did but how many players from other teams who did the same or gouged opponents eyes got the same treatment from Brolly?

If you knew what he meant then why are you questioning  that he was challenging Sean's integrity? There was nothing out of order in that.

What incident in a live game that Brolly was covering was Brolly confronted with clear footage of a drag down in front of goal or a gouge?

he was questioning if Sean had what it takes to be man... bang out of order. Brolly has seen many underhand acts as a pundit and didnt give it that treatment...
Joe cost Tyrone an all Ireland that year. The refs performance was truly awful in the semi. But if I was a pundit with joes beautiful delivery I would be castigating any Derry or Armagh team that moved. At the end of the day he is a hearty and dangerous wee bollix but he's just having a laugh. Spillane opened the floodgates and wasn't managed by rte. They would all be in fear of joe. Don't take offence when joe acts a bollix, he's just like the rest of us.

longballin

Quote from: smelmoth on June 10, 2016, 12:05:48 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:59:49 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 11:38:19 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:34:09 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 11:27:12 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 11:23:33 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 10:57:02 PM
Quote from: longballin on June 09, 2016, 10:51:37 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on June 09, 2016, 10:37:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 07, 2016, 07:23:32 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 06, 2016, 10:48:58 PM
Why is he so fixated on McGeeney (aside from the insult at Eamonn Coleman's funeral)?/b]

Armagh are far from the only county allegedly paying their manager and they aren't the only ones restricting access to county players.

Considering his diatribe on Sean Kavanagh, I suspect it may have something to do with his views on the GPA.
And being honest what was really wrong with what he said about Cavanagh? I was disappointed when he appologised on that one

said he was not a man... totally out of order

Surely its perfectly acceptable to question the integrity of a man that did what Sean did?

he said he wasn't a man that's a bit different from questioning his integrity

If you think that Brolly was challenging that Cavanagh was an adult nale of the human species then you are the only person on planet earth of this view

I know what he meant and it was out of order... it was totally personal because he has been gunning for Cavanagh for ages over his GPA role... I didnit like at all what Cavanagh did but how many players from other teams who did the same or gouged opponents eyes got the same treatment from Brolly?

If you knew what he meant then why are you questioning  that he was challenging Sean's integrity? There was nothing out of order in that.

What incident in a live game that Brolly was covering was Brolly confronted with clear footage of a drag down in front of goal or a gouge?

he was questioning if Sean had what it takes to be man... bang out of order. Brolly has seen many underhand acts as a pundit and didnt give it that treatment...

What are you talking about? What are these things that it takes to be a man that he was saying that Sean didn't possess?

I have heard Brolly give plenty of stick to those that fall foul of his views. But you are pulling him on a phrase that he used in a live broadcast on a live real time issue. If you want to challenge why he didnt say something similar against someone else then give me one incident where he should have in a live broadcast?

so why did he ring him after and apologise for saying it... because he knew it was out of order. Simples... Did he call out Dublin eye gouge in All Ireland final like that...?

Fuzzman

Lads can you ease off on the massive quotes. Ye can reply without always quoting the last post.

There are a lot of lads, with their own biases who enjoy Joe standing up and speaking his mind.
He says what a lot of people are thinking and doesn't care who he offends in the process. (eg. Marty M)

The Dublin v Mayo final a few years ago was a prime example where Joe showed his biased differences.
He briefly mentioned Dublin's cynical tactics at the end of the game but compare than to the way he responded to Sean Cavanagh. No mention then of being rotten to the core or any Dublin player not being a man.
My point is Joe usually has an agenda and as a few said here he has major issues with a lot of the GPA and so I feel he starts of answering a question on a match but usually uses the opportunity to go into rant mode over something else.

I wonder will he be attacking Donegal this weekend and Rory Gallagher?

screenexile

Quote from: rrhf on June 10, 2016, 12:36:54 AM
Joe cost Tyrone an all Ireland that year. The refs performance was truly awful in the semi. But if I was a pundit with joes beautiful delivery I would be castigating any Derry or Armagh team that moved. At the end of the day he is a hearty and dangerous wee bollix but he's just having a laugh. Spillane opened the floodgates and wasn't managed by rte. They would all be in fear of joe. Don't take offence when joe acts a bollix, he's just like the rest of us.

Excellent . . . Mayo blew you away and if they hadn't Dublin certainly would have!!

Disillusioned

Belfast Telegraph
Kieran McGeeney: Joe Brolly's jibes are totally meaningless
By Declan Bogue
10/06/2016

Kieran McGeeney has laughed off the recent controversial comments made by pundit Joe Brolly about his management of the Armagh side, saying: "I am flattered by Joe's obsession with me, that's about as far as it goes."
The Orchard boss was speaking at a media engagement ahead of their qualifier clash against Laois next weekend, when the question of the scathing criticism dished out by Brolly over what he described as 'The Cult of Kieran' among the Armagh panel. McGeeney appeared bemused by all the fuss, claims and counter-claims in the wake of their eight-point defeat to Cavan in the Ulster quarter-final. "Honestly I cannot say any more than I am flattered about his obsession over me," the 2002 All-Ireland winning captain continued.

Reminding the media present that the two played on successful Ulster sides in the Railway Cup and won a Sigerson Cup together in 1993, he spoke of Brolly, who claimed McGeeney 'hasn't a clue' about inter-county management. "I played with Joe, I played against him. He seems to forget a lot of things. "The more you talk about him the happier he is. That's what it is all about. He likes to be the centre of attention and that's grand. Let him batter away. "I can't stop people having opinions, and if people want to dress opinions up as facts, that's a different thing, that's up to somebody else to do. I am not really into facilitating people's obsessions with things." McGeeney continued: "I am sure he is a nice fella, like I have met him a couple of times and he seems grand, but he likes to be the centre of attention. "Honestly, it is water off a duck's back to me. Some people take what he says seriously, I can't help that either. We have a great bunch of fellas and I am trying to do my best. I am not doing as good a job as I would like."

Asked a direct question on whether he approved of Armagh Chairman Paul McArdle's right of reply to last Sunday night's Sunday Game highlights show, McGeeney answered: "The county board are trying to do the right things. They have had a tough time over the past couple of years in getting the county back on its feet, paying old bills. They are very progressive, there is great work being done in the academy structures, although we haven't had much success at underage we are definitely going in the right direction." He continued: "Someone was telling me about an article Joe wrote, that it was like Kieran McGeeney was playing Kieran McGeeney. There was very little about Cavan and Armagh, it seemed more about me, which is a mad thing."

The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

Aaron Boone

Fair play to McGeeney.  Add that to a win to Portlaoise and all the questions are answered.

Beffs

Yep. Bate the other county to get relegated down to Division 3 this year & you may as well hand him Sam now.

longballin

Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 10, 2016, 10:20:37 PM
Fair play to McGeeney.  Add that to a win to Portlaoise and all the questions are answered.

didn't answer if he is getting paid and how much. Money for old rope

ck

Whilst I'd have major difficulties with the likes of McGeeney claiming big salaries out of GAA, his honest reply above makes for refreshing reading. Both honest and cleverly dismissive of Brolly.

Syferus

Quote from: ck on June 11, 2016, 11:22:14 PM
Whilst I'd have major difficulties with the likes of McGeeney claiming big salaries out of GAA, his honest reply above makes for refreshing reading. Both honest and cleverly dismissive of Brolly.

Came off as someone who is rattled. Sure he went up to Brolly at a function and tried to square up to him.  Him saying he doesn't take it seriously takes some neck.

Cunny Funt

"The more you talk about him the happier he is. That's what it is all about. He likes to be the centre of attention and that's grand. Let him batter away. "
That's Brolly alright I couldn't have put it better myself.

heffo

Quote from: longballin on June 10, 2016, 10:34:53 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on June 10, 2016, 10:20:37 PM

didn't answer if he is getting paid and how much. Money for old rope

If you're going to corner him on it you may as well ask every other manager who is getting paid too

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2016, 11:30:23 PM

Came off as someone who is rattled. Sure he went up to Brolly at a function and tried to square up to him.  Him saying he doesn't take it seriously takes some neck.

???????

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2016, 11:30:23 PM

So where/when did this happen?
That was never a square ball!!