Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: heffo on May 31, 2016, 11:17:38 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2016, 11:13:54 AM
You can see CK that Lyster and O'Rourke do get a great laugh from Joe and you heard Lyster say in that interview with him earlier this year that they all get on really well.

Joe is very witty and has loads of very entertaining stories where no-one (not even his own sister) is out of bounds.

I've been in his company a few times through a mutual friend. The first time I met him within two minutes he had told me he was at a charity function the night before, he did it for free and that person X (high profile Ex-Northern Footballer) wanted £500 to attend. Anytime I've seen him since it was the same.

Marty Morrisey was genuinely very hurt about the comments last year by all accounts.

No mention of the E150k retainer he gets from RTE annually or the similar figure for his columns in the Independent? All of that cream, generated entirely off the GAA's labour, puts him in a position to aggrandise his "holier than thou" position as he cherry picks where he grants the little people an audience.

BennyHarp

If RTE want to give Joe his own show where he just rants about things then fair enough, I'm sure he get an audience for it and fair play, those who want to watch that sort of thing can fill their boots. But I could be in the minority here, when I genuinely watch the games for the games and I expect analysis of the games, not one man's opinion of all in sundry, that verge on personal abuse week in week out. If I want to hear what he thinks on things I'll read it in his numerous newspaper columns - it's generally the same stuff rehashed for TV anyway. Did Joe make any worthwhile analysis of the actual game on Sunday? Does he ever? He has a pre planned agenda and will roll this out regardless of what happens on the pitch. Had Armagh scored the penalty, fought for a draw or sneaked a win, would Joe have taken back the abuse he has been throwing at McGeeney.

In this particular instance I actually agree with a fair bit of what Joe says but I find the way he goes about in a personal way, on a show like the Sunday Game, just abhorrent.
That was never a square ball!!

Syferus

I want a Joe Show. Michael usually just gets in the way these days, like a bould mother. O'Rourke seems better able to take the Joe in his stride this year so maybe he can be the foil.

Orior

The Internet has a lot to answer for. Our ability to openly discuss what an ex-county player said about Sunday's game is clear to see. But is it right or wrong? Who is right and who is wrong? Who defines where the median line is?

On the Internet, everyone's view is equal because we all have exactly the same access. But if you met some posters on the street or on the terrace you would probably find yourself inching away.

Joe gets paid well for doing a job of work. But we've hundreds of people pouring over his every work. Society as a whole does not yet know the impact this has on society as a whole!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Quote from: Orior on May 31, 2016, 01:18:08 PM
The Internet has a lot to answer for. Our ability to openly discuss what an ex-county player said about Sunday's game is clear to see. But is it right or wrong? Who is right and who is wrong? Who defines where the median line is?

On the Internet, everyone's view is equal because we all have exactly the same access. But if you met some posters on the street or on the terrace you would probably find yourself inching away.

Joe gets paid well for doing a job of work. But we've hundreds of people pouring over his every work. Society as a whole does not yet know the impact this has on society as a whole!

Brolly doesn't have any access to me because I don't listen to him anymore. Grimley's piece is interesting but would it not be better to hear a McGeeney or a Grimley ask: 'is Joe still on the telly? - Never watched him meself.'.
MWWSI 2017

theskull1

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2016, 10:35:55 AM
I think poor Michael Lyster isn't able to control Joe (who is) and while he does slow him up at times Joe finds it hard to not interrupt everyone and not make it all about him. He more or less ignored Lyster's question about the game itself and just launched into the state of the GAA and how intercounty football is having such a terrible effect on the game at club level. He then talked about his own son and strength and conditioning. All good interesting points yes but ITS NOT THE JOE SHOW.

When you compare the punditry of the likes of MOTD/SKY where they have interest only on the product that is the premiership, I like GAA pundits to have a link and understanding on what is happening to the lower tiers due to changes at the top level. That's very important in my eyes.

Important distinction between K McG and most in the GAA is he has made a career for himself managing football teams. I think that leaves him open to a higher level of criticism that the boy who's doing his best for the love of the game
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

naka

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2016, 09:10:17 AM
In terms of expenditure I think Armagh is one of the highest in Ireland. I know they've improved recently in hurling but there seems to be big money pumped into the footballers.
Most of the money pumped into Armagh football is at under age level in both codes
Anyone who bothers to check the expenditure in detail will know that
Armagh are trying to match Tyrone in  football and push on in hurling
It's lazy to slate the expenditure but all guys who contribute to the county get to see the accounts with an explanation

lenny

Quote from: theskull1 on May 31, 2016, 01:30:14 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 31, 2016, 10:35:55 AM
I think poor Michael Lyster isn't able to control Joe (who is) and while he does slow him up at times Joe finds it hard to not interrupt everyone and not make it all about him. He more or less ignored Lyster's question about the game itself and just launched into the state of the GAA and how intercounty football is having such a terrible effect on the game at club level. He then talked about his own son and strength and conditioning. All good interesting points yes but ITS NOT THE JOE SHOW.

When you compare the punditry of the likes of MOTD/SKY where they have interest only on the product that is the premiership, I like GAA pundits to have a link and understanding on what is happening to the lower tiers due to changes at the top level. That's very important in my eyes.

Important distinction between K McG and most in the GAA is he has made a career for himself managing football teams. I think that leaves him open to a higher level of criticism that the boy who's doing his best for the love of the game

There are loads of career managers at the moment in the gaa. A huge number of clubs at the moment are shelling out huge amounts of money to pay for outside managers. In fact the boys doing it for the love of the club would almost be in the minority at this moment in time. Brolly's rant against mcgeeney was personal for some reason and he seemed to really enjoy sticking the boot in.

seafoid

Brolly is the GF version of dunphy. It is a clown show.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

yellowcard

Brolly=Dunphy=Hook. RTE has always thrived on a joker to boost the ratings.

mackers

Quote from: naka on May 31, 2016, 01:47:40 PM
In terms of expenditure I think Armagh is one of the highest in Ireland. I know they've improved recently in hurling but there seems to be big money pumped into the footballers.
Most of the money pumped into Armagh football is at under age level in both codes
It's lazy to slate the expenditure but all guys who contribute to the county get to see the accounts with an explanation
naka, I'd like to see evidence of your statement in bold.  I remember looking at the accounts listed at the county AGM and the amount of money spent specifically on the county senior team was off the charts.  As BCB has stated, we should be investing in more coaches coming into schools and clubs and then there would be something tangible to back your claim up.  I am aware of what is going on at the Orchard Academy and whilst there is good work going on there I wouldn't imagine it is costing the county board a lot of money.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: naka on May 31, 2016, 01:47:40 PM

Is this in the last 2-3 years? There has been little return at minor level. Perhaps that will change with this years minor squad.

yellowcard

Armagh are paying for years of neglect at county board level when the 00's team was in it's pomp. The fact that the team was going well on the field masked a lot of problems off it. Failure to maximise sponsorship revenues when the potential was there meant that they failed to invest in a suitable centralised training faciliity. There was also a lack of investment in coaching at schools level. In fairness some of the issues have been attempted to be put right in the last few years but unfortunately it has co-incided with a dip in the performance of the senior team. For me those 2 areas are where the money still needs to be prioritised the most. Underage coaching and a suitable training centre for the county teams to prepare. 

Was there a table published at the satrt of the year showing team expenditure for last year?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 02:23:53 PM
Armagh are paying for years of neglect at county board level when the 00's team was in it's pomp. The fact that the team was going well on the field masked a lot of problems off it. Failure to maximise sponsorship revenues when the potential was there meant that they failed to invest in a suitable centralised training faciliity. There was also a lack of investment in coaching at schools level. In fairness some of the issues have been attempted to be put right in the last few years but unfortunately it has co-incided with a dip in the performance of the senior team. For me those 2 areas are where the money still needs to be prioritised the most. Underage coaching and a suitable training centre for the county teams to prepare. 

Was there a table published at the satrt of the year showing team expenditure for last year?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/cost-of-running-county-teams-at-record-levels-34513426.html

Limerick, Wexford and Armagh are the stand out ones!

naka

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 31, 2016, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on May 31, 2016, 02:23:53 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/cost-of-running-county-teams-at-record-levels-34513426.html

Limerick, Wexford and Armagh are the stand out ones!
Wouldn't accept that Armagh expenditure was more than Tyrone or Donegal so would take that with a pinch of salt
A few posters know who I am and know that I am content to contribute money to Armagh
At the day at the races a full breakdown of expenditure was published
Showing the vast majority of money goes below the senior team
It's easy to recollect the money spent in the glory days but now the focus is on developing a strategy to get back to the top table
Work is being done in the schools
We had St. Paul's st pats Armagh , st Ronans as well as a fair chunk of players playing for abbey and college in the mc Rory

It will take time but we are in a far better place than we were 5 years ago
Armagh are trying to bring coaches and leaders in at all levels id development from u14 up
Which can only be applauded