Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disillusioned

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 21, 2016, 07:52:26 AM
A big factor in his fortunes in armagh, i suspect, is the fact that so few cross players have commited. Clearly they have the best players in the county but barely a one there. Whether that is his fault or not i do not know.

Their absence says a lot more about the Cross players and those influencing their choice not to answer a call to play for the county while they await another Cross man in charge.

There is also little account taken of the fact that the Cross team is a great example of how the collective can be much more than the sum of its parts and how a myth/legend of invincibility can become reality in the minds of the opposition.  In reality there are not many Cross players in 2016 who would walk on to any county team in Ulster.    Apart from the established county players, other players who have been key to the success for Cross in the last 3/4 years have not shown the same impact at county level. 
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

imtommygunn

I'm not having a go at cross but to be a success as a manager  you need the buy in of everyone and McGeeney just doesn't seem to have that which means he is very much fighting an uphill battle. Whether that be his own fault or not I do not know.

There are 3-4 players anyway from cross who would make a very positive difference to the armagh team.

I would still say there is barely a better player in Armagh than Aaron Kernan. (In fact there aren't that many anywhere)

Applesisapples

Quote from: Disillusioned on April 21, 2016, 08:49:55 AM
A big factor in his fortunes in armagh, i suspect, is the fact that so few cross players have commited. Clearly they have the best players in the county but barely a one there. Whether that is his fault or not i do not know.

Their absence says a lot more about the Cross players and those influencing their choice not to answer a call to play for the county while they await another Cross man in charge.

There is also little account taken of the fact that the Cross team is a great example of how the collective can be much more than the sum of its parts and how a myth/legend of invincibility can become reality in the minds of the opposition.  In reality there are not many Cross players in 2016 who would walk on to any county team in Ulster.    Apart from the established county players, other players who have been key to the success for Cross in the last 3/4 years have not shown the same impact at county level.
I keep reading bullshit comments like this about Cross players from other Armagh Clubs. Fact is Cross are head and shoulders above the next best in Armagh for a variety of reasons. Fact also there are few Armagh players that would walk on to any other County Team in Div 1 or 2 at the moment. There is clearly an issue with Cross players and the county whether it is of Cross' making or the County's I'd love to know.

mackers

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 22, 2016, 11:44:13 AM

I keep reading bullshit comments like this about Cross players from other Armagh Clubs. Fact is Cross are head and shoulders above the next best in Armagh for a variety of reasons. Fact also there are few Armagh players that would walk on to any other County Team in Div 1 or 2 at the moment. There is clearly an issue with Cross players and the county whether it is of Cross' making or the County's I'd love to know.
It's bullshit in your opinion.  I wouldn't necessarily agree with the first paragraph in Disillusioned's post but I would fully agree with the fact that the current Crossmaglen team are better than a sum of their parts.  The two players that are clearly inter county standard that are not part of the panel (AK & Jamie) have ruled themselves out for well documented reasons.  This would be an opinion held widely within the county and has nothing to do with anti-Cross bias.  I'd love it if we still had the twin Macs, AK, Jamie, Oisin and Francie to call on every year.  Your gra for Cross is well noted at this stage.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

Quote from: mackers on April 22, 2016, 02:35:25 PM

It's bullshit in your opinion.  I wouldn't necessarily agree with the first paragraph in Disillusioned's post but I would fully agree with the fact that the current Crossmaglen team are better than a sum of their parts.  The two players that are clearly inter county standard that are not part of the panel (AK & Jamie) have ruled themselves out for well documented reasons.  This would be an opinion held widely within the county and has nothing to do with anti-Cross bias.  I'd love it if we still had the twin Macs, AK, Jamie, Oisin and Francie to call on every year.  Your gra for Cross is well noted at this stage.
I wouldn't deny having a liking for Cross, but I have a bigger affection for the County and I want to see everyone including Cross contribute. I would like to see a few more Cross players in there because I feel they would bring a winning mentality, Kyle Carragher and Johnny Hannratty spring to mind. I would concede that the reasons more Cross players are not in the panel is not all down to the county setup.

mackers

I would like to see Kyle Carragher back myself to see if he could build on an encouraging year in 2014 but don't agree with Johnny Hanratty. He played for a few seasons and wasn't up to the standard IMO. 
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

general_lee

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 22, 2016, 02:51:28 PM

I wouldn't deny having a liking for Cross, but I have a bigger affection for the County and I want to see everyone including Cross contribute. I would like to see a few more Cross players in there because I feel they would bring a winning mentality, Kyle Carragher and Johnny Hannratty spring to mind. I would concede that the reasons more Cross players are not in the panel is not all down to the county setup.
This right here. What is Johnny Hanratty going to bring to the table? Winning mentality my hole. Sure what goods a winning mentality when he's no better than the midfielders already there? Same for Carragher, useful to have but he's no better or worse than say McParland or Sparky. Any wonder clubs in Armagh can't bate cross when they are constantly mythicised

Applesisapples

Quote from: general_lee on April 22, 2016, 03:09:51 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 22, 2016, 02:51:28 PM

This right here. What is Johnny Hanratty going to bring to the table? Winning mentality my hole. Sure what goods a winning mentality when he's no better than the midfielders already there? Same for Carragher, useful to have but he's no better or worse than say McParland or Sparky. Any wonder clubs in Armagh can't bate cross when they are constantly mythicised
In your opinion I beg to differ.

SimonSays

If Armagh put out there strongest team that is willing to play it would be like this

1: Paddy Morrison
2:James Morgan
3: Charlie Vernon
4: Andy Mallon
5: Mark Shields
6 Ciaran McKeever
7: Aidan Forker       -----Aaron Kernan
8 : Ethan Rafferty
9: Aaron Findon
10: Tony Kernan
11 Miceal McKenna
12 Rory Grugan
13: Gavin McParland
14 Soupy Campbell
15 Colm Watters       ----- Jamie Clarke

Jamie and aaron dont want to play but thats where they would fit in. Tony and james start for me....but i just dnt think any other cross players get into the starting 15 ..   Paul Hughes, Aidan Rush, oisin o'neill would be handy to have on the bench but thats it

DuffleKing

I presume it was influential in Aaron's decision to retire that he didn't make the starting team in his last year. Time waits for no man and while it would be great to have his influence still around the squad I really don't think Aaron would start any more. His club campaign this year would tend to support that view also.

The idea that the county champions should be massively represented on the county team is badly misguided. Sure if there are 40 odd clubs in the county the best players can be dotted around anywhere. A collection of good players coming together, decent coaching and a good culture produces club teams that can win championships. That doesn't make those players the best in the county by any stretch of the imagination - nor does it dismiss them.

The likelihood that a club team has 3/4 of the best players in the county is very small. Even that one club has 6/7 of the best 30 is highly unlikely - and that's a mistake Armagh have made in the past.

How many from the current county champions start for Tyrone,  Dublin, Kerry,  etc.?

general_lee

Spot on Duffleking. Look at the Cavan team for this weekend - 15 different clubs represented in the starting 15.

Throw ball

It does look odd from the outside that more Cross players are not on the county team but on closer examination it is understandable. If Clarke was available he would be on. Aaron Kernan is one of my favourite ever footballers but he is not the future and has retired. Rushe and O ' Neill will be regulars in the future if they want. As BCB would undoubtedly agree at the minute they will learn more playing for Cross than being subs for the county over the summer. Of the rest I could see squad places for Hughes and Carragher and possibly McKeown but if they do not want to commit that is their choice. I am sure that in a few years time Cross will have a few representatives.

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on April 22, 2016, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: general_lee on April 22, 2016, 04:55:00 PM
Spot on Duffleking. Look at the Cavan team for this weekend - 15 different clubs represented in the starting 15.
Aye but they probably all play for one club really.

Magic!

I never write LOL anywhere but LOL!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: SimonSays on April 22, 2016, 03:53:14 PM
If Armagh put out there strongest team that is willing to play it would be like this

1: Paddy Morrison
2:James Morgan
3: Charlie Vernon
4: Andy Mallon
5: Mark Shields
6 Ciaran McKeever
7: Aidan Forker       -----Aaron Kernan
8 : Ethan Rafferty
9: Aaron Findon
10: Tony Kernan
11 Miceal McKenna
12 Rory Grugan
13: Gavin McParland
14 Soupy Campbell
15 Colm Watters       ----- Jamie Clarke

Jamie and aaron dont want to play but thats where they would fit in. Tony and james start for me....but i just dnt think any other cross players get into the starting 15 ..   Paul Hughes, Aidan Rush, oisin o'neill would be handy to have on the bench but thats it

No Dyas?

Aaron Boone

It takes hindsight most times, but Joe is rarely wrong.