Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: ck on April 13, 2016, 06:55:19 PM
Do people here agree that the media appear to be afraid of McGeeney? It's a wider held view and mentioned a few times, what do people think? IMO McGeeney got away very lightly in Kildare whilst blatantly trying to poach other counties players.

Is this Brolly/McGeeney story bring sensationalised simply because Brolly is the only person in the media with the balls to call it out on McGeeney?
I'd agree with this part. Outrageous behaviour.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: T Fearon on April 12, 2016, 10:36:30 PM
Not often I find myself in agreement with Brolly but consider the facts.When Paddy O'Rourke took Over Armagh in 09 it was on the back of a disastrous season.He immediately won Div 2 of the NFL and took Armagh to round 4 of the qualifiers losing by three points to Dublin.

A couple of issues Tony. I'd be the first to say that 2008 ended in abject fashion when we gave a poverty stricken performance when bowing out to Wexford in Croke Park in the Championship. However we were Ulster Champions and had beaten Dublin quite convincingly in the League to retain our Division 2 status with a degree of comfort - hardly a disastrous season.

I also think you are getting confused with POR's first year.  POR took over in 2009, and whilst we again retained our Division 2 status, we fell to Tyrone in Clones in the first round of the Championship and then lost in extra-time to Monaghan, again in Clones, in the first round of the qualifiers.

mup

Quote from: illdecide on April 13, 2016, 09:05:00 AM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail? If there is a piece of dirt out there someone will find it and throw it into the public domain. I know a few of the County lads and they all speak very highly of him yet people are trying to paint a different story, I can't think of another inter county manager who is under as much scrutiny as he is. Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too, because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc. People should get a life and torture some other manager/s

Because how dare he put it up to the Dublins during his stint in Kildare. While he didn't beat Dublin it took a Pat McEneany inspired free to win in for them in the 2011 leinster semi final. The media/Dubs ensured that McGeeney grew into the hate figure that he is now.

I find the assertions of Kildare GAA approaching players from the 'broad Leinster area' rather amusing considering the goings-on within that posters county.

ashman

Would the view be that Joe wasted his talent ??

My view of Joe would be of a decent pacey corner forward if overly one sided. I would think he did ok.

omaghjoe

Quote from: mup on April 14, 2016, 02:21:06 PM
Why has KMCG grew into the man everyone loves to hate (exceptions of some Kildare men and Armagh folk), what has he done over the years that everyone wants to see him fail? If there is a piece of dirt out there someone will find it and throw it into the public domain. I know a few of the County lads and they all speak very highly of him yet people are trying to paint a different story, I can't think of another inter county manager who is under as much scrutiny as he is. Because he done/does martial arts then apparently he has the team doing it too, because he trained more than most apparently he has Armagh lads training 8 nights a week ;) etc etc. People should get a life and torture some other manager/s

Because how dare he put it up to the Dublins during his stint in Kildare. While he didn't beat Dublin it took a Pat McEneany inspired free to win in for them in the 2011 leinster semi final. The media/Dubs ensured that McGeeney grew into the hate figure that he is now.

I find the assertions of Kildare GAA approaching players from the 'broad Leinster area' rather amusing considering the goings-on within that posters county.

Being the poster child for sterile gombeen football, he was a hate figure for me for a long time before Kildare

Fuzzman

Ashman, I suppose McGeeney was cut from different cloth and tried to use all the skills he was given to their max. He worked hard on his fitness and strength and would be very determined like most of the Armagh team from that era.
Whereas he probably thinks Brolly would have done much better if he had been part of that Armagh team and took the game more seriously and not always be the joker or wasting the obvious pace and skill he had.
I'd say if Brolly was in that Armagh team they could have won another AI and Brolly would have been a better all round player but who knows.

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on April 15, 2016, 04:02:48 AM

Being the poster child for sterile gombeen football, he was a hate figure for me for a long time before Kildare

Such nonsense. What does that even mean? You hated him because he was Armagh captain during our two counties biggest rivalry. Which is completely fine. Just admit it

heffo

Just so we're clear on your position:

While Dublin we're winning provincial titles & AI's and Kildare twice couldn't beat 14 man Dublin, Kildare under McGeeney were trying to assemble a league of nations team while being knocked out of Leinster by Wicklow et al and the people of Dublin were so consumed by an irrational hatred of McGeeney that they turned the media against him?

I think you're story checks out alright!

mup

A Dub accusing a Kildare man of having a league of nations. Oh dear.

Look before you leap.

Main Street

I suppose this qualifies as a McGeeney retort

He encourages players to strike a better balance between their sport and their personal lives than he did.
"Contrary to popular belief, I don't want people to do what I did," he said.
"If I saw that I would probably give out about it. "

Beffs

That's daft. McGeeney has been treated with kid gloves by the media. Most of them are in still in awe of him, from his playing days. Any articles, interviews etc focus on his legendary drive and commitment. They shy away from asking the tough questions, on his tactical decision on the sideline, or why he never beat a Div 1 team during his time in charge of Kildare, or the embarrassing SJ affair. 

Anyway, most of the GAA media are not actually from Dublin, even though their pay check comes from an office building in Dublin. So turning this into a Geezer v Dublin thing is ridiculous. Where ever they are from, his stock as a player still counts for a lot, with most of them.

Have you ever listened to Off The Ball....the most high profile sports show in the country. The two main hosts, Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy, are Kildare lads. They worship the man  & can't talk about him enough, or praise him enough. He was the focus of their newspaper review (Brollys article) on Sunday. They had the man himself on again last night - at the Coppers 20th anniversary party, no less. It was non stop Geezer, the Man, The Myth, the Legend.  Or The Unbelievable Craic Merchant, if you believe Senan Connell.  ::)

The notion that the media turned him into a hate figure is laughable. No one is worshiped more by them.

Applesisapples

There is much to admire about Geezer the player, his play, his leadership and his single-mindedness. From his point of view Brolly probably did waste his talent. However as has been pointed out, Joe starts the conversation from Geezer's statement, what went before? Like all good writers Joe doesn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Only a complete tit would deny Geezers achievements as a player and a leader on the pitch. On his management the Jury is still out and with Armagh he has hardly being playing with a full deck, between injuries and absences.

ck

Quote from: Applesisapples on April 15, 2016, 01:11:02 PM
There is much to admire about Geezer the player, his play, his leadership and his single-mindedness. From his point of view Brolly probably did waste his talent. However as has been pointed out, Joe starts the conversation from Geezer's statement, what went before? Like all good writers Joe doesn't let the facts get in the way of a good story. Only a complete tit would deny Geezers achievements as a player and a leader on the pitch. On his management the Jury is still out and with Armagh he has hardly being playing with a full deck, between injuries and absences.

10 years as an inter county manager and you reckon the jury is still out?
Time to get a new jury!

Applesisapples

Quote from: ck on April 15, 2016, 02:22:31 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 15, 2016, 01:11:02 PM

10 years as an inter county manager and you reckon the jury is still out?
Time to get a new jury!
With Armagh!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Beffs on April 15, 2016, 12:55:12 PM
Have you ever listened to Off The Ball....the most high profile sports show in the country. The two main hosts, Ger Gilroy and Joe Molloy, are Kildare lads. They worship the man  & can't talk about him enough, or praise him enough. He was the focus of their newspaper review (Brollys article) on Sunday. They had the man himself on again last night - at the Coppers 20th anniversary party, no less. It was non stop Geezer, the Man, The Myth, the Legend.  Or The Unbelievable Craic Merchant, if you believe Senan Connell.  ::)

Joe Molloy was never much of a GAA man tbh.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?