Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: bannside on December 22, 2015, 01:10:17 AM
Stop playing Brolly the man for a minute. What part of his piece do you not agree with??

I agree that sports psychology can be enormous but what works for half the dressing room is a laughing stock with the rest.

Great article. Hugely entertaining. Well done Joe.

But if it does work for half the dressing room, its not bullshit, despite what Joe Brolly or the other half of the dressing room think. Athletes who have been far more successful than Brolly speak very highly of McNulty, which kinda disproves his theories.

bannside

Not having a pop at Mc Nulty. Obviously well respected but.....read the piece again Beffs and please state what part you personally disagree with?

The power shower thing great when you win....but returning from the final this year my overriding emotion was that Kerry lost the final  (by missing scoring chances they would normally take in their sleep) more than Dublin won it. Or put it another way. Kerry were shite by their own very high standards and we're still therabouts at the end. The power shower thing only has to not work once and the manager is looking for a new psychology team for the following year.

Beffs

I disagree with his lumping eegits like Chopra in with McNulty & labeling it all as bullshit. McNulty has a proven track record, based on things that athletes who have worked with him have said about him. People like Brian O'Driscoll. Not everyone is into this kind of thing. Brolly clearly isn't, but it is typically narrow minded of him to pour scorn on something, just because he doesn't understand it or agree with it.

In hiding

The All Blacks seem to be the reference point for all things sporting at the minute. they put huge importance on a full time mental skills coach. I'm not suggesting they know all there is to know but I am guessing they have invested more time and effort into this stuff than sensationalist Joe. Joe is all about look at me. The most self absorbed individual ever to commentate on the gaa

ONeill

Sounds like Enda didn't get a round in.

Too hyperbolic to call it an astonishing attack on the Armagh man?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2015, 10:10:58 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 21, 2015, 09:58:33 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2015, 09:45:13 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 21, 2015, 04:46:14 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2015, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: screenexile on December 21, 2015, 02:31:25 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2015, 02:04:45 PM
Joe Brolly accusing people of making a living by talking shite and bluffing?? Does the man have any self awareness?

Just checking you know he makes his living as a Barrister and that the RTE thing is on the side right?

You don't get to be a Barrister by bluffing!!

Barristers are the highest paid of all bullshitters. Just checking, does he get paid for his RTE "analysis"?

does he not donate his TV fee?

Does it matter if he does or not? He still gets paid for it on Rte, and for the Irish Independent and for the Gaelic Life. Tell me this isn't a man making money off bullshitting and bluffing.

It matters to the people who get the donations I'm sure

If the gaaboard paid bullsh1tters, there'd be a few wealthy boys knocking about

He gets paid to bullshit, he writes an article slagging off someone who he says gets paid for bullshitting. Your charity point is irrelevant.
"What is Love? Love is the absence of judgement."

Dalai Lama

Il Bomber Destro

Ah some of you are hilarious.

The All Blacks?? ;D

They play a minority sport devoid of skill and populated by roidheads and are the only nation who play the game where it is the no.1 sport in the country. Of course the only country who put the sport as no.1 and where the serious competition  is so shallow that it doesn't surpass any 10 teams of reasonable pedigree is going to be successful.

It would be like one Ulster county taking hurling seriously and being successful in Ulster confines.

McNulty is a massive bullshitter and Brolly is right here.

Man Marker

FFS lads yer all saft in the head, Brolly has just helped Mc Nulty, there is no such thing as bad publicity. The article was class, seriously funny. That was how it was meant to be, how do some of you boys live  :o

ONeill

I'm not into it personally but I know someone who have used these methods to turn their life around from a seriously deep low. No laughing matter for some.

Isn't yer man Morrison the original guru in this field? Brazil nuts and skips?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

haranguerer

Its like an article from the 80s in terms of its view of sports psychology. The important thing is though that given Joe doesn't take himself too seriously, we shouldn't take him too seriously either. His articles are mostly fabricated, but are always a great read, and that works for me.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 22, 2015, 11:26:08 AM
Ah some of you are hilarious.

The All Blacks?? ;D

They play a minority sport devoid of skill and populated by roidheads and are the only nation who play the game where it is the no.1 sport in the country. Of course the only country who put the sport as no.1 and where the serious competition  is so shallow that it doesn't surpass any 10 teams of reasonable pedigree is going to be successful.

It would be like one Ulster county taking hurling seriously and being successful in Ulster confines.

McNulty is a massive bullshitter and Brolly is right here.

Is says something about you, that on a website with its fair share of idiots (like most) you stand out in my mind as the champion of that particular bracket.

Rugby is just full of drugged up bodybuilders apparently. What an ignoramus.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on December 22, 2015, 12:10:36 PM
I'm not into it personally but I know someone who have used these methods to turn their life around from a seriously deep low. No laughing matter for some.

Isn't yer man Morrison the original guru in this field? Brazil nuts and skips?
John Morrison?

Have just read his weekly 'A Sporting View' column in the Armagh Gazette. He recommends giving lots of high fives to improve confidence and unity.

INDIANA

Quote from: bannside on December 22, 2015, 01:30:44 AM
Not having a pop at Mc Nulty. Obviously well respected but.....read the piece again Beffs and please state what part you personally disagree with?

The power shower thing great when you win....but returning from the final this year my overriding emotion was that Kerry lost the final  (by missing scoring chances they would normally take in their sleep) more than Dublin won it. Or put it another way. Kerry were shite by their own very high standards and we're still therabouts at the end. The power shower thing only has to not work once and the manager is looking for a new psychology team for the following year.

Brolly never clarified whether he was talking about sports psychology or mental health in general . And because of this he looks like a prize idiot. Insensitive and stupid article in my opinion .

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 21, 2015, 02:04:45 PM
Joe Brolly accusing people of making a living by talking shite and bluffing?? Does the man have any self awareness?

Those who can't....teach

BennyHarp

Quote from: haranguerer on December 22, 2015, 01:02:00 PM
Its like an article from the 80s in terms of its view of sports psychology. The important thing is though that given Joe doesn't take himself too seriously, we shouldn't take him too seriously either. His articles are mostly fabricated, but are always a great read, and that works for me.

Yep I agree and that's fine until he decides (like he does on a regular basis) to publicly ridicule individuals. Not everyone understands Joe's whimsical way of thinking and many take his word as gospel, you only need to consider some of the prize idiots who hang on his every word on here as an example of that. Joe has publicly held Enda's very legitimate professional capabilities up for public ridicule without really even bothering to research the topic, interview those who have worked with Enda or God forbid speak to Enda himself. All top of the head nonsense from Joe which, while I admit can be humorous, can also be quite damaging to those that he targets. It's not always harmless fun with Joe.
That was never a square ball!!