Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on June 18, 2015, 11:34:41 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 03, 2015, 12:54:30 PM
I had the telly on with the sound off for the Cavan v Monaghan game and I left it off at half-time.
Newstalk's radio coverage was far better.

Was the sound not way in front of the picture?

No, well not to the extent that it bothered me anyway.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Stallion on June 19, 2015, 01:45:44 PM
No amount of All Irelands can change the fact Cavanagh's actions that day were reprehensible.

Reprehensible? come off it. Cavanagh's actions were no more or no less than what I would expect any team mate of mine to do in a big game. The fact that the laws at the time allowed him to go relatively unpunished is not his fault.  I haven't met anyone who played at any sort of level who thought that Cavanagh did anything they wouldn't do themselves.

red hander

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 19, 2015, 02:42:29 PM
No amount of All Irelands can change the fact Cavanagh's actions that day were reprehensible.

Reprehensible? come off it. Cavanagh's actions were no more or no less than what I would expect any team mate of mine to do in a big game. The fact that the laws at the time allowed him to go relatively unpunished is not his fault.  I haven't met anyone who played at any sort of level who thought that Cavanagh did anything they wouldn't do themselves.

After Brolly's rant, both O'Rourke and Spillane basically said they wouldn't have had a problem with a teammate doing the exact same when they played. There was a similar tackle in Sunday's match at Salthill and no one has gone off on one like the Dungiven gimp did

WT4E

Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
A goal wouldn't have mattered to Monaghan? Are you kidding?

No I'm not kidding - Monaghan may not have went on to win the match and if they did they would not of won the all ireland!

Syferus

Quote from: WT4E on June 19, 2015, 05:13:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 19, 2015, 02:28:31 PM
A goal wouldn't have mattered to Monaghan? Are you kidding?

No I'm not kidding - Monaghan may not have went on to win the match and if they did they would not of won the all ireland!

A chance of winning the match, an AIQF, was huge. Trying to diminish that because you think they wouldn't have won the AI (what exactly does that have to do with anything?) is hard to understand.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: red hander on June 19, 2015, 05:02:36 PM

After Brolly's rant, both O'Rourke and Spillane basically said they wouldn't have had a problem with a teammate doing the exact same when they played. There was a similar tackle in Sunday's match at Salthill and no one has gone off on one like the Dungiven gimp did

A more educated gimp than you!

topcuppla

Quote from: Walter Cronc on June 19, 2015, 05:21:09 PM
Quote from: red hander on June 19, 2015, 05:02:36 PM

A more educated gimp than you!

:D ;D

Aaron Boone

Monaghan were building back then, another quarter final appearance last year. Semi this year a real possibility. They are one to watch for on everyone's radar.

ONeill

Joe Brolly will always be Joe Brolly. He'll make fairly educated points and then ruin it with a one-liner in the excitement of his moment. Unfortunately, he can affect young lads' lives by not filtering his mouth on national TV. 90% of the time he's decent entertainment.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Quote from: ONeill on June 19, 2015, 10:47:16 PM
Joe Brolly will always be Joe Brolly. He'll make fairly educated points and then ruin it with a one-liner in the excitement of his moment. Unfortunately, he can affect young lads' lives by not filtering his mouth on national TV. 90% of the time he's decent entertainment.
Agree  with your point.  Anyone who knows Joe shrugs their shoulders and let him get on with it. He deserves the odd slap but only àn eejit would take him that seriously.  As tomas o se would say. Deadly Craic

Main Street

Quote from: rrhf on June 20, 2015, 12:33:57 AM
Quote from: ONeill on June 19, 2015, 10:47:16 PM
Agree  with your point.  Anyone who knows Joe shrugs their shoulders and let him get on with it. He deserves the odd slap but only àn eejit would take him that seriously.  As tomas o se would say. Deadly Craic
As O'Neill (in an rare astute moment) pointed out earlier, according to Joe, Tomas O'Sé thinks he's great craic,  therefore it is so. and 
now you indirectly implicate Tomas as saying Joe is deadly craic.

Is there a name for that ego condition of desperately defending your own image of yourself by imposing into the public domain, another person's supposed good opinion of you?

heffo

Except that time when a fella from Offaly wanted Cluxton sent off for same in 2007!

AZOffaly

Of course he wanted him sent off. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have done it the other side. That's what I'm saying, they'd all do it, it''s the rules fault if they are not punished enough.

Over the Bar

Brolly is a drama-queen nob-jockey.  Spillane and O'Rourke know he's such.  He  cowardly character assassinates players and managers live on TV for no other purpose than being controversial.   

What pleases Joe most is the intelligence-lacking gombeens from his own county and beyond who hang on his every banal utterance:  Sean Cavanagh isn't a man, my ma is from Tyrone so I can slag them all I like,  that manager hasn't a clue and that one is a disgrace,   rewind there  at slow speed til I show ye some cynical play,  they were hard but fair in my day blah, blah,  listen to my ideas if you want GAA brought back to its glory days etc.   

He's a GAA Jerry Springer who  salivates at imagining some numpties in a pub coming out with the words "Joe Brolly is right y'no..."

Main Street

Quote from: heffo on June 20, 2015, 08:22:39 AM

Except that time when a fella from Offaly wanted Cluxton sent off for same in 2007!
Dragging down McManus after he showed a clean pair of heels  and clear on goal was  frustrating as hell  but just foul play in the scheme of things. Brolly's rant was totally misplaced, AZ's expressed  sentiments on that incident  are spot on. Brolly was out of order and hypocritical.

Earlier in that game  Sean dragged down a player and got him yellow carded and in all probability was pleased with that,  gaining a handy scorable free and getting Monaghan's best player on a yellow.  That could  be called the  'double tyrone',  they probably have an award for that in Tyrone,  the 'best double tyrone of the year' award