Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ard-Rí on April 07, 2015, 11:49:05 PM
Great article below by Ewan MacKenna on Joe Brolly & 'the end is near' brigade in Gaelic Football.
I think the GAA should be demanding a more mature analysis of its games by media outlets that are given the rights to broadcast games. Those with only a casual interest in Football are likely to be turned off by the depressingly negative tone in the analysis. Lets not forget that RTÉ, when championship season arrives, will devote more time to Joe Brolly's opinions than it will to championship games between smaller counties.

https://ewanmackenna.wordpress.com/2015/04/07/agendas-over-analysis-are-the-real-reason-for-footballs-crisis-talk/

Excellent stuff from Ewan McKenna.
But we wont let the facts get in tehw ay of a good end of the world rant from brolly
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Ewan McKenna believes in nothing, and has no opinion on anything. He is simply a contrarian, who takes up the opposite position to the popular view on everything. This is not because he genuinely believes the opposite, in my view, but because he wants people to argue with him and increase his notoriety. He is the Yin to Brolly's Yang.

I dislike that approach to punditry, and both McKenna's and Brolly's style are good examples of a type of publicity seeking argumentativeness that I find very annoying and off-putting. I don't read anything McKenna writes or tweets anymore because it's vacuous. It doesn't mean anything. It's not a heartfelt opinion, it's the verbal equivalent of poking a wasps nest while wearing a protective suit. The consequences of what you do won't hurt you because you don't care about it, but the pokee gets irate and upset so it's a pleasant distraction for you.

Apologies for posting the above ^^^^ twice, but please lets not get hung up on Joe Brolly or any other pundit versus Ewan McKenna or anyone else. That's what these lads want it to become. Get their names inextricably linked with the topic so that they become part of the discussion. They are not, and shouldn't be, part of the discussion.

The discussion should be whether we, as the GAA at large, perceive a problem here. I think it's undeniable that more teams are attempting to set up defensively, in an attempt to lower the scores against column and give themselves a better chance. Whether it is effective in all cases is a moot point, but there's no denying, in my view, that the intent is there.

The question becomes whether we feel that is anything to be worried about. And if it is, what could, or should, we do to remedy it. If it's not something to be worried about then it's all academic. But the discussion has to be had without blow hards like Brolly and McKenna setting the agenda. I'm sick to the back teeth of reading people saying the black card was brought in because of Brolly's rant against Sean Cavanagh. It was adopted at congress months before that, albeit with Brolly as a proponent. But because of his rant, people are confused about the cause and effect. And that suits Brolly perfectly. Remove him, and the lad who will call black white just to get retweets and arguments going (McKenna), from the debate and that would be a good start.

cockahoop

Here's a thought ,for all of you who are so deeply offended by brolly,well don't read or watch him!!!

sheamy

Agree with much of that AZ.

The problem in this case is that the person in charge of the rules committee used the same 'look at me' methods as the others.

when people inside the GAA resort to the same retweet fuelled methods as brolly and co then we're in bother.

he later said his 'death of football' tweet was just to start debate. That's horseshit and not how the GAA should conduct its affairs imo. Have the discussions and consultations within the association and if anything comes out of them then start the debate.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: cockahoop on April 08, 2015, 10:53:08 AM
Here's a thought ,for all of you who are so deeply offended by brolly,well don't read or watch him!!!

That would be fine if he wasnt rallying to get the actual game itself changed.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

AZOffaly

Quote from: cockahoop on April 08, 2015, 10:53:08 AM

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not, but sure I'll answer anyway.

First of all, that sort of comment is fair enough in one sense, but when Brolly makes such a determined effort to get on your papers, TV screens and radio, it's kind of hard to avoid him. It's not as if people here are ringing Joe up for a soundbite they can get annoyed over. And when other people constantly quote him, it's doubly hard to avoid it.

Secondly, I'm not sure 'deeply offended' is the right phrase. It's more annoyance that people can't see what he's at. Namely saying anything that will get him publicity, regardless of subject or affiliation. He'll have a pop off anything if he feels it will get him noticed. And he's not averse to having a pop off something which he was lead cheerleader for in the past either. He lauded Tyrone, Donegal, Kerry and Dublin at various times, before castigating them at a future point when it suited him to be 'controversial'.

He doesn't offend me at all anyway, although I can see why some people might take offence, but he doesn't bother with Offaly because we're stone useless at the moment, so offended is not the right word. Sick of hearing and seeing him, yes.

By the way, is there another 'public' figure with a greater dichotomy of personality as Joe? In his work for organ donation, and other charity and local work he seems like a great guy. When he talks about GAA he seems like a muppet. It's genuinely impressive how he manages that Jekyll and Hyde feat.

AZOffaly

Quote from: sheamy on April 08, 2015, 10:58:26 AM
Agree with much of that AZ.

The problem in this case is that the person in charge of the rules committee used the same 'look at me' methods as the others.

when people inside the GAA resort to the same retweet fuelled methods as brolly and co then we're in bother.

he later said his 'death of football' tweet was just to start debate. That's horseshit and not how the GAA should conduct its affairs imo. Have the discussions and consultations within the association and if anything comes out of them then start the debate.

Agree with you there. And that's one of the problems. When this sort of punditry becomes the norm, then everyone starts at it because the squeakiest wheel gets the oil.

CD

I was emailed a link to this this morning - Written and published by former Tyrone PRO, Damian Harvey. An eloquent piece I feel.

Time to Step Forward and Challenge Joe
Let's get one thing clear right from the start. This isn't about defending ourselves by pointing out that other counties are worse than we are. It isn't that we are just feeling sorry for ourselves. That's cheap point scoring and that's not what this article is about. There are those who would say the best way to handle Joe Brolly is to ignore him. They would say that we should stop reading his articles if we are annoyed and switch off the television when he's on. I'm not one to subscribe to that train of thought.
You see amidst all the bluster I believe Joe used to make the odd valid point from time to time. It's just that those nuggets are now harder to find in a sea of bad taste and more recently unwarranted abuse towards some of the most respected GAA men on the island. As a barrister Joe is more than capable of making a point. The craft of the barrister is all about trying to influence the minds of those watching and listening. Joe has skilfully transferred those skills to another two aspects of his life. He has done a serious amount of good work in attempting to influence the minds of the policy makers with the 'Opt for Life' campaign. This campaign quite rightly aims to establish a 'family consent' society for organ donation.
The world of GAA media has also offered Joe another opportunity to influence minds. His approach to this aspect would appear however to be somewhat different. There's a 'no holds barred' methodology to his GAA work. Joe would have us believe that he cares as passionately about his GAA as he does about his 'Opt for Life' campaign. His approach to engaging key stake holders in the 'Opt for Life' campaign could not be more different from the way he handles GAA issues. While the full time professional politicians are treated with 'kid gloves' the part time GAA managers and players get the "cheating", "he should be sacked", "forget about him as a man" and "F**k off and play behind closed doors" language.
Joe contextualises these statements by claiming that he's only speaking out because he loves the GAA and that no man is more passionate about the future of the game than him. Does that give him enough cover though to continue with the personal insults? Should he continue to go unchallenged when he utters these insults? The Sean Cavanagh rant has been well documented. No response from the GAA. Last week he used disgusting and unwarranted language on national radio to tell Mickey Harte and his team where to go because he didn't like their style of play. That brought the "F**k off and play behind closed doors" statement. Unchallenged.
On Sunday in a national newspaper he lambasted Philip Jordan for "defacing" the 2003 All Ireland final. Again unchallenged. He went on to say that Tyrone forwards "systematically" pulled down Meath forwards in 2013 and that "Mickey Harte should be sacked for what he has peddled in the last three years". Once again unchallenged. We can also go back to Tyrone's win over Kerry in the 2013 All Ireland minor semi final. On that occasion he claimed that the "dark arts were taught openly at Tyrone underage coaching sessions." Once again unchallenged.
While he continues to go unchallenged it becomes more and more plausible that Tyrone GAA accept the charges as laid down. Why should that continue to be the case? Tyrone GAA is a huge business in terms of volunteer hours, income, expenditure, value to the communities it serves and the number of young people that commit to and play our games. What message are we sending out if we cannot openly defend our own people? Why can't we step forward and call time on Brolly's offensive accusations and base rhetoric as he jumps from one media outlet to the next to belittle and insult managers and players time and time again?
It's not a Tyrone v Derry thing either. I've spoken to a number of Derry GAA people recently who instantly distance themselves from his statements claiming he doesn't represent Derry GAA people. National GAA figures are of the same opinion. If Joe wants to rid Gaelic Football of all it's woes then he's intelligent enough to fight for those changes in the committee rooms and the floor of congress like everyone else.
It's unlikely that Joe will ever take this under his notice but if by some small chance that he does here's a last message to him. Please spare us the 'self righteous Tyrone people' line Joe. Come up with something a little more positive and becoming of a GAA analyst of your stature.
In 2013 Joe was invited to speak at the GAA Congress about his 'Opt for Life' campaign. In that speech he spoke about the GAA being "separated from other societies by the quality of neighbourliness and community". He mentioned that phrase not once but several times during that speech. Joe also spoke about how "everyone in the GAA knows each other and cares for each other". Strange then that he seeks to lambast those lads he cares about so publicly. Strange that he picked last Sunday to drive home his points knowing all too well the circumstances within Tyrone. Frustrating that he's not called to task when he blatantly insults one of our own.
Damian
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

magpie seanie

Very well written and measured piece.

Bingo

Been honest, its all becoming very tiresome. Joe seems to be living for the bad games and his weekly newspaper columns that more or less repeat the previous weeks but he re hashes them with his impressive use of the English Language and a few personal comments thrown in.

Has he yet said what he would like to see happen to the games or has he been in touch with anyone in Croke Park offering his services to help "save" the game?

Croí na hÉireann

Can add Declan Bogue into the silent observer list, which coincidentally also consists the recipient of his tweet https://twitter.com/DeclanBogue/status/585752721241858049?s=09
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: ONeill on April 07, 2015, 11:22:55 PM
Resisted writing "typical Dungiven man, surr".

Joe can be funny. But maybe he needs an advisor. For an intelligent man, he can come out with some dangerous guff. Cavanagh talked of the aftermath of his 'not a man' comment - how his business and wife were affected. That stuff he came out with about (Paddy?) Andrews who played for Dublin in 2005 was scandalous - 'he should be nowhere near a football field' - and now calling on Harte to be sacked.

He has a responsibility to be half-sensible in his position (I'd like to think) - analyse the game - not the man.
Id say Joe is most untypical of Dungiven men !!
theres a few instances where I can easily point that out!

You could be right about having an advisor, but that would be no fun for Joe.
I personally don't think he should say half the stuff, and for the amount of times he can be seen as being right, he is almost as wrong for a number of times also.

sure half the board here are as bad as Joe for being big attention seekers.
quite easy to point them out. I actually don't categorise you in that vein (just yet)

longballin

I recall Joe suggested Stephen Cluxton shouldn't wear the Dublin jersey again after he was sent off against Armagh when he drew the foot on a player. Now he's that far up Cluxton's ass... too much hyperbole and exaggeration and personal attacks ruin his arguments .

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 08, 2015, 12:16:14 PM
Can add Declan Bogue into the silent observer list, which coincidentally also consists the recipient of his tweet https://twitter.com/DeclanBogue/status/585752721241858049?s=09

Oh oh. I'm in trouble now. I wish Declan had added the next sentence though, because I'm sure Ewan will say he has loads of opinions.

smelmoth

Quote from: CD on April 08, 2015, 11:03:48 AM
I was emailed a link to this this morning - Written and published by former Tyrone PRO, Damian Harvey. An eloquent piece I feel.

Time to Step Forward and Challenge Joe
Let's get one thing clear right from the start. This isn't about defending ourselves by pointing out that other counties are worse than we are. It isn't that we are just feeling sorry for ourselves. That's cheap point scoring and that's not what this article is about. There are those who would say the best way to handle Joe Brolly is to ignore him. They would say that we should stop reading his articles if we are annoyed and switch off the television when he's on. I'm not one to subscribe to that train of thought.
You see amidst all the bluster I believe Joe used to make the odd valid point from time to time. It's just that those nuggets are now harder to find in a sea of bad taste and more recently unwarranted abuse towards some of the most respected GAA men on the island. As a barrister Joe is more than capable of making a point. The craft of the barrister is all about trying to influence the minds of those watching and listening. Joe has skilfully transferred those skills to another two aspects of his life. He has done a serious amount of good work in attempting to influence the minds of the policy makers with the 'Opt for Life' campaign. This campaign quite rightly aims to establish a 'family consent' society for organ donation.
The world of GAA media has also offered Joe another opportunity to influence minds. His approach to this aspect would appear however to be somewhat different. There's a 'no holds barred' methodology to his GAA work. Joe would have us believe that he cares as passionately about his GAA as he does about his 'Opt for Life' campaign. His approach to engaging key stake holders in the 'Opt for Life' campaign could not be more different from the way he handles GAA issues. While the full time professional politicians are treated with 'kid gloves' the part time GAA managers and players get the "cheating", "he should be sacked", "forget about him as a man" and "F**k off and play behind closed doors" language.
Joe contextualises these statements by claiming that he's only speaking out because he loves the GAA and that no man is more passionate about the future of the game than him. Does that give him enough cover though to continue with the personal insults? Should he continue to go unchallenged when he utters these insults? The Sean Cavanagh rant has been well documented. No response from the GAA. Last week he used disgusting and unwarranted language on national radio to tell Mickey Harte and his team where to go because he didn't like their style of play. That brought the "F**k off and play behind closed doors" statement. Unchallenged.
On Sunday in a national newspaper he lambasted Philip Jordan for "defacing" the 2003 All Ireland final. Again unchallenged. He went on to say that Tyrone forwards "systematically" pulled down Meath forwards in 2013 and that "Mickey Harte should be sacked for what he has peddled in the last three years". Once again unchallenged. We can also go back to Tyrone's win over Kerry in the 2013 All Ireland minor semi final. On that occasion he claimed that the "dark arts were taught openly at Tyrone underage coaching sessions." Once again unchallenged.
While he continues to go unchallenged it becomes more and more plausible that Tyrone GAA accept the charges as laid down. Why should that continue to be the case? Tyrone GAA is a huge business in terms of volunteer hours, income, expenditure, value to the communities it serves and the number of young people that commit to and play our games. What message are we sending out if we cannot openly defend our own people? Why can't we step forward and call time on Brolly's offensive accusations and base rhetoric as he jumps from one media outlet to the next to belittle and insult managers and players time and time again?
It's not a Tyrone v Derry thing either. I've spoken to a number of Derry GAA people recently who instantly distance themselves from his statements claiming he doesn't represent Derry GAA people. National GAA figures are of the same opinion. If Joe wants to rid Gaelic Football of all it's woes then he's intelligent enough to fight for those changes in the committee rooms and the floor of congress like everyone else.
It's unlikely that Joe will ever take this under his notice but if by some small chance that he does here's a last message to him. Please spare us the 'self righteous Tyrone people' line Joe. Come up with something a little more positive and becoming of a GAA analyst of your stature.
In 2013 Joe was invited to speak at the GAA Congress about his 'Opt for Life' campaign. In that speech he spoke about the GAA being "separated from other societies by the quality of neighbourliness and community". He mentioned that phrase not once but several times during that speech. Joe also spoke about how "everyone in the GAA knows each other and cares for each other". Strange then that he seeks to lambast those lads he cares about so publicly. Strange that he picked last Sunday to drive home his points knowing all too well the circumstances within Tyrone. Frustrating that he's not called to task when he blatantly insults one of our own.
Damian
Damian Harvey refers to Joe Brolly's points as being "unchallanged". Harvey goes on to write an article about Joe Brolly and Joe Brolly's style. What challenges does he make about the accuracy of Brolly's points? What facts does he bring to the table to challenge Brolly's points. Mild mannered as it is what light on the debate does the article shine?