Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

Quote from: Main Street on March 15, 2015, 01:37:37 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 14, 2015, 11:46:03 PM
In what way is it condescending?
That critique of Brolly's journalism is condescending bull, making out that those who appreciate his journalism  or even some of his journalism, are gullible idiots.

"I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar".

Get you now. Thought you meant Joe. Thought it was a very moving tribute to a young gael the same age as my son. Makes you count your blessings.

Main Street

Quote from: charlieTully on March 15, 2015, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 15, 2015, 01:37:37 PM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 14, 2015, 11:46:03 PM
In what way is it condescending?
That critique of Brolly's journalism is condescending bull, making out that those who appreciate his journalism  or even some of his journalism, are gullible idiots.

"I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar".

Get you now. Thought you meant Joe. Thought it was a very moving tribute to a young gael the same age as my son. Makes you count your blessings.
I have edited that reply just to make sure the foolhardy amongst us don't  think I was indulging in whimsical horsedung. ;)

DuffleKing

Quote from: Main Street on March 14, 2015, 11:43:45 PM
Quote from: sheamy on March 14, 2015, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 09, 2015, 12:09:10 AM

I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar.

After the emotion and everything else has passed, this is probably the most insightful and accurate critique I've seen to date. Nailed it. Up da masses.
Quite frankly, it (that so called accurate and insightful critique) is condescending bull.

Joe's article last week was heart rending and emotional. He's a beautiful writer as I say. If he'd confine himself to this type of insight into the Association and our culture he has an amazing ability to capture feelings with words.

However, his opinions on the game, the evolution of tactics, coaching, performance, preparation, etc are made up as he goes along, depending who he has chatted to any particular week. His personal attacks on players and managers along with his selective eulogising of others are whimsical and ill informed frequently and almost without exception horsehit. The problem is that because he writes so well on other areas of life and so many people see his very golden heart through all of this, people accept the other nonsense from him must also be true.

screenexile

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 16, 2015, 11:12:38 AM

I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar.

After the emotion and everything else has passed, this is probably the most insightful and accurate critique I've seen to date. Nailed it. Up da masses.
Quite frankly, it (that so called accurate and insightful critique) is condescending bull.

Joe's article last week was heart rending and emotional. He's a beautiful writer as I say. If he'd confine himself to this type of insight into the Association and our culture he has an amazing ability to capture feelings with words.

However, his opinions on the game, the evolution of tactics, coaching, performance, preparation, etc are made up as he goes along, depending who he has chatted to any particular week. His personal attacks on players and managers along with his selective eulogising of others are whimsical and ill informed frequently and almost without exception horsehit. The problem is that because he writes so well on other areas of life and so many people see his very golden heart through all of this, people accept the other nonsense from him must also be true.

Nope... yes he's gotten it wrong a few times but he's dead right about the state of our game and the ridiculous demands placed on our players. Sometimes the way he goes about things is wrong but his views on the above are bang on!!

DuffleKing

Says you. We have differing opinions on the matter.

Main Street

Here you have explained your opinion, reducing the condescension factor.
Around here, what's the opinion about Joe's GAA journalism? do you think the masses around here are duped by Joe's golden heart journalism  into agreeing with him on GAA matters?
I'd say most here still have varying  disagreeable opinions about Joe's GAA opinions, but his other articles just help us to put a wider context on the human being that is Joe, and not just perceive him as a cheap and nasty, insecure,  sh*t stirrer.
The greatest image the masses of Irish people have of Joe is from the tv punditry and there he can be can be seen, warts and all, stripped to bone,  baring his particular psychosis. I very much doubt that those people who agree with Joe's GAA journalism or Joe's GAA punditry  are duped into agreeing with him by the bottomless warmth of his penny candle moments of journalism.
Most probably, those who agree with Joe, agree with him because that type of stuff makes sense to them.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Main Street on March 16, 2015, 01:02:48 PM

Here you have explained your opinion, reducing the condescension factor.
Around here, what's the opinion about Joe's GAA journalism? do you think the masses around here are duped by Joe's golden heart journalism  into agreeing with him on GAA matters?
I'd say most here still have varying  disagreeable opinions about Joe's GAA opinions, but his other articles just help us to put a wider context on the human being that is Joe, and not just perceive him as a cheap and nasty, insecure,  sh*t stirrer.
The greatest image the masses of Irish people have of Joe is from the tv punditry and there he can be can be seen, warts and all, stripped to bone,  baring his particular psychosis. I very much doubt that those people who agree with Joe's GAA journalism or Joe's GAA punditry  are duped into agreeing with him by the bottomless warmth of his penny candle moments of journalism.
Most probably, those who agree with Joe, agree with him because that type of stuff makes sense to them.

In my experience, people agree with Joe on football matters when they don't take the time / have the inclination to consider the subject matter comprehensively - here or in any other place.

In that environment Joe is a safe pair of hands - he's a good lad - sure look at the work he does and the wonderful colour pieces he writes occasionally. Sure how could he be wrong.

Thewildcat

he should tell his own county the same after last weeks display, his a two face cu.t later in the year if Tyrone do well he be licking their arse and how hard it is in ulster football.  Donegal played the same puke football last year yet he thought they were great because they beat Dublin, as i said his a two face bollix always was smart hole kerry gave him his answer last year the first time i seen the little shit stuck for words after the star said to him what do you think of that Brolly after they done the double.

theskull1

Good man. You should be very proud of your reaction to this debate. I think you've got the perspective and the level of disdain juuuuuust right.  ::)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

rrhf

Brolly is in Paisley mode again.

ose 14

hes gone too far re harte this time, he will be needing a solicitor by the end of the week.???

rrhf

Puke football. John Murray show.  Cav - Not a man. Fckù off mickey.   Rte and their representatives can't really expect a big howya doin from Tyrone gaa anytime soon.

From the Bunker

Dublin 3-19 Derry 1-10 (0-13 to 1-3 at half time) - playing football away to Dublin in the league final last year and after a good League Campaign. No doubt Dublin were (sorta) entertained. How entertained were Derry fans at last years game? Or for that matter the neutral fan? Playing open football left them open like lambs to the slaughter and ruined preparations and confidence for the championship!

Dublin 0-8 Derry 0-4 (0-3 to 0-2 at half time) granted a shite game. But what do you expect. It's all about getting ready for the summer for Derry now. Another hiding would have destroyed this team even more after a poor league campaign. Last weekend Derry went home saying to themselves that they stayed with Dublin for an hour and only lost by four.

Look I hate what is happening, but i hate more to see teams that are trying to bridge the gap getting hammered. It's a sad direction. But it is necessitated by the weaker teams to maintain confidence and respectability.

Brollys opinions are all over the place. He has too much going on in his head and has ended up a barrel of contradictions. He is one of the greatest caring person but like us all he lets personal county and provincial allegiances cloud his judgement.

Aaron Boone

He's the George Hook/Eamon Dunphy court jester of GAA. The unfortunate thing is those with a passing interest in GAA lap up his comments as gospel.