Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I would kind of agree on this. Cavan looked very good in the 1st round and should definitely be favourites. They had some guys in their forwards who looked very good so not sure where the notion that armagh have much superior forwards is coming from.

That being said I would expect Armagh to improve and Cavan were probably targeting the Monaghan match so might not be quite as good. Still would have Cavan favourites though.

bennydorano

Cavan 4/6 Armagh are 6/4 mostly. Seems generous for Cavan tbh, Armagh are decent from MF on but brutal defensively. Cavan by 3 or 4 pts.

Westside

I think Cavan should start Conroy and give him the frees on the left. We need to improve our conversion rate. Bookies have the handicap at 1 point and if it's that close, we can't afford to be kicking easy frees wide as we have done this year so far. Hard to know who you drop though.

tonto1888

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 29, 2019, 07:29:02 PM
Don't know where the Armagh optimism is coming from......watched the game against Down.....pure turgid......same old habits.....no free taker....Cavan will win comfortably I feel.

ONeill got 4 from trees tho granted he missed a few. If Grimley is back he is a fairly consistent free taker

BennyCake

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 29, 2019, 09:36:13 PM
Don't know where the Armagh optimism is coming from......watched the game against Down.....pure turgid......same old habits.....no free taker....Cavan will win comfortably I feel.

ONeill got 4 from trees tho granted he missed a few. If Grimley is back he is a fairly consistent free taker

I thought he should've taken them from the ground.

LCohen

There isn't much optimism in Armagh or here. We are talking up our fowards. That does not equate to optimism that we will win. There are doubts on our injuries, defenders, defensive system and aspects of our attacking game plan. Least said about our kick out strategies the better.

To win we will need to have done serious work on our defensive system and kick out strategy. There is no reason why this can't be done. We will need to be brave. Pick Soupy alongside Jamie and Rian. Keep them forward. Stretch Cavan wide. Move the ball quickly. Push up on the Cavan kickout. We will need a much better return from frees.

omaghjoe

Cavan have McKiernan, a game plan and good team work but lack potency up front.

Armagh have great forwards tho they lack cohesion still they have the potential to win this. It will be foul-arama at the back and the empty vessel walking the line which will be their likely undoing

RealSpiritof98

from a betting stand point 4/6 about Cavan imo is very generous. To shift 3.13 v a Down side that was set up to try and win a dull defensive game was poor. I think we lack some guile in our defenders and cant seem to handle a team that runs directly at us with pace. However we do have forwards that can get red hot and if its an all out shootout we have a chance. Living hope more than confidence.

Throw ball

He may be young but Rian O'Neill is a good free taker. He had a nervous start against Down but I don't think he missed a free in second half. Failing that Grimley is a competent free taker. To be fair to Grugan his free taking is normally fairly good but he had a poor day all round against Down.

lurganblue

I'd say most Armagh supporters are going in hope rather than in expectation. I don't think that equates to optimism.

tonto1888

Quote from: lurganblue on May 30, 2019, 09:42:46 AM
I'd say most Armagh supporters are going in hope rather than in expectation. I don't think that equates to optimism.

Some of us don't even have that much hope for this one

mackers

Travelling in hope rather than expectation. The last time we played Cavan they beat us by about 20 points.  That was a long Saturday evening.........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2019, 07:59:48 PM
Cavan 4/6 Armagh are 6/4 mostly. Seems generous for Cavan tbh, Armagh are decent from MF on but brutal defensively. Cavan by 3 or 4 pts.

Cavan have more experience playing the top teams even though they have yoyoed in and out of Division 1
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

illdecide

Looking forward to the match now, pity about the weather as it looks like it's going to be damp. Clones without a sunny Championship Sunday just doesn't feel right, the last day i remember getting wet there was Monaghan 2003 when we got humped when red hot favourites.
Cavan for Sunday are rightly favourites but I think we all agree Armagh are capable of a result but you just don't know what you're going to get from Armagh, I'm going expecting Cavan to win but hoping Armagh win but the chance to get to an Ulster final is decent and it would be great for the confidence to the younger lads of the team...No matter who wins on Sunday we/they'll be big underdogs for the Ulster final.

Armagh    2 - 13
Cavan      1 - 14

Hoping :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Itchy

Quote from: illdecide on May 30, 2019, 09:27:58 PM
Looking forward to the match now, pity about the weather as it looks like it's going to be damp. Clones without a sunny Championship Sunday just doesn't feel right, the last day i remember getting wet there was Monaghan 2003 when we got humped when red hot favourites.
Cavan for Sunday are rightly favourites but I think we all agree Armagh are capable of a result but you just don't know what you're going to get from Armagh, I'm going expecting Cavan to win but hoping Armagh win but the chance to get to an Ulster final is decent and it would be great for the confidence to the younger lads of the team...No matter who wins on Sunday we/they'll be big underdogs for the Ulster final.

Armagh    2 - 13
Cavan      1 - 14

Hoping :P

I think if Armagh get two goals they will win but I'm thinking the score could be more like

Cavan 1-17
Armagh 0-15