Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Quote from: Itchy on May 30, 2019, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: illdecide on May 30, 2019, 09:27:58 PM
Looking forward to the match now, pity about the weather as it looks like it's going to be damp. Clones without a sunny Championship Sunday just doesn't feel right, the last day i remember getting wet there was Monaghan 2003 when we got humped when red hot favourites.
Cavan for Sunday are rightly favourites but I think we all agree Armagh are capable of a result but you just don't know what you're going to get from Armagh, I'm going expecting Cavan to win but hoping Armagh win but the chance to get to an Ulster final is decent and it would be great for the confidence to the younger lads of the team...No matter who wins on Sunday we/they'll be big underdogs for the Ulster final.

Armagh    2 - 13
Cavan      1 - 14

Hoping :P

I think if Armagh get two goals they will win but I'm thinking the score could be more like

Cavan 1-17
Armagh 0-15

Goals will flow

Cavan 3-12
Armagh 0-14
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

dec

Will there be any live stream-able radio commentary for this game. Premium Sports, who have the tv rights here in the US are not showing the game until 2pm (EST).

Cunny Funt

Out of interest how many of Cavans 4 in a row Ulster U21 winners started against Monaghan in the quarter final?

BennyCake

Our defence is very suspect especially under the high ball. We need at least 2 goals if we're going to have a hope. I just can't see it happening.

Cavan by 5.

LCohen

Quote from: BennyCake on May 31, 2019, 04:33:51 PM
Our defence is very suspect especially under the high ball. We need at least 2 goals if we're going to have a hope. I just can't see it happening.

Cavan by 5.

Hope Cavan rain balls down on the edge of the square. We can't be that bad again on that tactic and the more ball they kick away the better.

Win, lose or draw we have to at least impose ourselves on the game and try to exploit our strengths

Westside

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 31, 2019, 03:59:31 PM
Out of interest how many of Cavans 4 in a row Ulster U21 winners started against Monaghan in the quarter final?

9 Starters and 3 of the Subs that came on have U21 medals.

BennyCake

Quote from: LCohen on May 31, 2019, 04:52:03 PM

Cavan by 5.

Hope Cavan rain balls down on the edge of the square. We can't be that bad again on that tactic and the more ball they kick away the better.

Win, lose or draw we have to at least impose ourselves on the game and try to exploit our strengths

Cavan mightn't get scores from every ball lumped in but they'll cause havoc at least. And we'll have to deal with any that go in there. Plus our defence give away too many silly frees.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on May 31, 2019, 05:45:13 PM

Cavan by 5.

Cavan mightn't get scores from every ball lumped in but they'll cause havoc at least. And we'll have to deal with any that go in there. Plus our defence give away too many silly frees.

I dont think they will play in hail marys to be honest but I do expect long early ball and Madden and Martin Reilly to be drifting in behind your backs.

Itchy

Interesting reading these U21 teams from that 4 in a row...

Tyrone: N Morgan; R Pickering, R McNamee, F McQuaid, N Sludden, G Teague, S McKenna, N McKenna [0-2], R Donnelly [0-1], P McNeice, P Harte [0-1], D McNulty, K Coney, M Donnelly [0-1], R O'Neil [0-4]. Subs: C Gervin [0-1] for McGuigan, K Mossey for McNabb, D McNulty for McNeice, J McCullagh for McNulty

Cavan: A O'Mara; M Leddy, O Minagh, D Tighe, K Meehan, D Barkey, M Brady, G McKiernan [0-2], F Flanagan, N Smith, N Murray [1-0], B Reilly [0-2], J Brady [0-4], N McDermott, P Leddy. Subs: T Mooney for Tighe, P King [0-2] for M Leddy, C McClarey for Smith, C Smith for McDermott, D Flanagan for Reilly

Cavan: C Gilsenan, F Flanagan, K Brady, J McLoughlin, D Sexton (1-0, pen), C Moynagh, M Brady, P Leddy, K Clarke, J Dillon (0-1, C Conroy, R Lynch (0-1), J Brady (0-3, 2f), K Tierney (0-5, 5f), N O'Donnell.

Subs: P King for Brady, B Reilly for Dillon, S Nolan for Conroy, PP O'Hara for Reilly

Tyrone: D McAnenly, B Tierney (0-1), D McNally, HP McGeary, N Sludden (0-1), C Clarke, T McCann, H Og Conlan (0-1), S Warnock, S Tierney (0-1), T Canavan (0-1, f), R Donnelly (0-2, 2f), D McCurry (0-3, 3f), C McAliskey, C Daly.

CAVAN: Conor Gilsenan (Bailieborough); Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels), Killian Clarke (Shercock), Ciaran Brady (Arva); Daragh McVeety (Crosserlough), Daragh Sexton (Cavan Gaels), Feargal Flanagan (Butlersbridge); Brian Sankey (Shercock), Michael Argue (Bailieborough); Gerry Smith (Lavey), Chris Conroy (Lavey), Turloc Mooney (Redhills); Enda O'Reilly (Mullahoran), Paul O'Connor (Cavan Gaels), Jack Brady (Ramor Utd).

Subs: Chris Madden for Conroy, Paul Graham for Mooney.

DONEGAL: Peter Boyle (Aodh Rua); Kevin McFadden (Cloughaneely), Caolan Ward (St Eunan's), Gavin Gallagher (Sean MacCumhaill's); Pauric Carr (Kilcar), Martin O'Reilly (Sean MacCumhaill's), Luke Keeney (Four Masters); Darach O'Connor (Buncrana), Leon Kelly (Glenswilly); Ryan McHugh (Kilcar), Odhran MacNiallais (Gweedore), Conor Gibbons (St Eunan's); William Gillespie (Naomh Colmcille), Patrick McBrearty (Kilcar), Eoin McHugh (Kilcar).

CAVAN: J Farrelly; B Fortune, K Clarke, P Faulkner; G Smith, C Moynagh, C Brady; L Buchanan, M Argue; P Graham, E Flanagan, A Watson; D McVetty, K Bouchier, J Dillon

Subs: A O'Hara for Moynagh (BC, 22), T Hayes for Bouchier (40), E Hession for Flanagan (47)

DONEGAL: J Coll; C Brennan, C Parke, A McCloskey; M O'Reilly, R McHugh, G Gallagher; H McFadden, C Thompson; D Mulgrew, P McBrearty, E Doherty; D O'Connor, W Gillespie, E McHugh

Subs: C Cannon for McCloskey (38), J O'Malley for Doherty (52)

LCohen

Cavan by 5.

They won't cause havoc if we have done our homework. It would be quite incredible if we haven't

The important thing is that we cope with it when it happens but we cannot assume that Cavan will just repeatedly try to exploit an issue that obviously we will have worked extensively on addressing.

Thinking back to McGeeney's first game as manager in the Ulster Championship and we were very inflexible tactically. A player was drafted in specifically to mark Donegal's McFadden and Vernon was going to boss Murphy around the square. On the day Murphy took Charlie for a walk around AG and McBrearty won the match operating around the square. McFadden had been cronked an age before and was never selected again. We had obsessed about a threat that didn't exist and the line watched on as Plan A unraveled and mused over the concept of a plan B. 4 years later we have better options and something to offer in the other half of the pitch and a much stronger bench. We need to ask Cavan questions and give them something to worry about

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on May 31, 2019, 06:01:26 PM
Our defence is very suspect especially under the high ball. We need at least 2 goals if we’re going to have a hope. I just can’t see it happening.

Cavan by 5.

Hope Cavan rain balls down on the edge of the square. We can’t be that bad again on that tactic and the more ball they kick away the better.

Cavan mightn’t get scores from every ball lumped in but they’ll cause havoc at least. And we’ll have to deal with any that go in there. Plus our defence give away too many silly frees.

I dont think they will play in hail marys to be honest but I do expect long early ball and Madden and Martin Reilly to be drifting in behind your backs.

If Givney was still involved I think that tactic would cause havoc. But with the personnel we currently have we could end up with egg on our face. Definitely agree on the early ball but it will need to be clever and quality ball with well timed runs from our inside men giving them good opportunity to win it in space and either take on the score or exploit the space with runners coming through.
The odd hail Mary would be no harm but only if the right man is in there, mainly McKiernan, and if it is not working we cannot persist.   

naka

Armagh team
Hughes, Morgan, Mc Kay, hughes
Kennedy Donaghy forker
Grimley burns
Nugent Grugan hall
Clarke o neill murnin

So no Rafferty or vernon
Actually thought Campbell would start but see logic in springing from the bench

illdecide

Quote from: naka on May 31, 2019, 09:35:31 PM
Armagh team
Hughes, Morgan, Mc Kay, hughes
Kennedy Donaghy forker
Grimley burns
Nugent Grugan hall
Clarke o neill murnin

So no Rafferty or vernon
Actually thought Campbell would start but see logic in springing from the bench

TBH Rafferty & Vernon did not deserve their place after their last display. I'm sure Campbell is disappointed he's not starting, what has a fella to do to get a start. Any game he did start in the league he was first man to be subbed. I'm sure KMcG has his reasons though ::).
How fit will Murnin be? There is no way he can last the full game, maybe that's why Campbell is in reserve? Who knows, he may well do the changes before the game though just to confuse the opposition :D.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

rrhf

Mc Geeney in nosebleed territory as a a manager

Cunny Funt