The Greats that never were

Started by Barney, November 21, 2007, 08:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 21, 2007, 03:54:14 PM
Undoubtably John 'Scan' Concannon.

By common consensus was the best player on the incredible 1994 St. Jarlath's Hogan Cup winning team that later provided 5 All-Stars. Including Padraig Joyce and Michael Donnellan. Through one thing or another he never really fulfilled his enormous potential. Found a little article on him.

I hear that down in Galway they're all up in arms about this Saint Jarlaths All-Star team.

The controversy is based on the omission of star 1990s player, John 'Scan' Concannon. Concannon was regarded by many as one of Jarlath's greatest ever players at Senior A. He scored 3-1 on his championship debut at the age of fourteen and was the outstanding player in colleges football for at least two years. His performance in the 1994 Hogan Cup Final was mesmerizing. The thing that set 'Scan' apart from most was his unbelievable skill and free taking. He had a great eye for the posts and could jink past any player. Alas, he never followed through after college although he scored an amazing goal against Jason Sherlock's Dublin minors in 1994 in Croke Park.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's quite a few posters (certainly lurkers) on here who suffered at the hands of Concannon in that '94 Hogan final.

passedit

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
Derry - Brian McCormick
Antrim - Linus Harbinson
Down - Brian McCartan  :o
Armagh - Leo McGeary
Tyrone - Scotchie Conway
Fermanagh - Simon Bradley

I don't know anyone from the free state.

Surely you mean current Bredagh Reserves star Charlie Pat.
Don't Panic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 21, 2007, 04:00:29 PM

By common consensus was the best player on the incredible 1994 St. Jarlath's Hogan Cup winning team that later provided 5 All-Stars. Including Padraig Joyce and Michael Donnellan. Through one thing or another he never really fulfilled his enormous potential. Found a little article on him.

I hear that down in Galway they're all up in arms about this Saint Jarlaths All-Star team.

The controversy is based on the omission of star 1990s player, John 'Scan' Concannon. Concannon was regarded by many as one of Jarlath's greatest ever players at Senior A. He scored 3-1 on his championship debut at the age of fourteen and was the outstanding player in colleges football for at least two years. His performance in the 1994 Hogan Cup Final was mesmerizing. The thing that set 'Scan' apart from most was his unbelievable skill and free taking. He had a great eye for the posts and could jink past any player. Alas, he never followed through after college although he scored an amazing goal against Jason Sherlock's Dublin minors in 1994 in Croke Park.
Unless I'm mistaken, there's quite a few posters (certainly lurkers) on here who suffered at the hands of Concannon in that '94 Hogan final.

Who was it they beat that year again? I know they thrashed them anyway but they rolled over everyone that year.

At least Scan got his Hogan cup medal but he really should have been collecting an All-Ireland with some of his old team-mates in 1998 too.

TORGAEL

I  think they beat st.pats, maghera in 1994

heganboy

Fermanagh- John Hannah class act

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

supersarsfields

Quote from: passedit on November 21, 2007, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 21, 2007, 03:00:12 PM
Derry - Brian McCormick
Antrim - Linus Harbinson
Down - Brian McCartan  :o
Armagh - Leo McGeary
Tyrone - Scotchie Conway
Fermanagh - Simon Bradley

I don't know anyone from the free state.

Surely you mean current Bredagh Reserves star Charlie Pat.

Charlie Pat?? Is this the same Charlie Pat who's an accountant? Used to play a bit of soccer with him him in Belfast til he gave it all up for Bredagh!!

ExiledGael

Quote from: heganboy on November 21, 2007, 04:42:00 PM
Fermanagh- John Hannah class act

Good call, Fermanagh lost a lot of that U21 team that done so well. Don't hink hannah ever got a run on the senior county team.
O'Neill presume you mean the Gallagher cousins.

Imposerous

Armagh - Without a doubt John Corvan was as skillful and deadly as any forward the game has seen, but his enormous talent was never fulfiled. 

magpie seanie

Sligo - Johnny Kenny. Was devastating when in full flight. Unfortunately we got to see it all too infrequently in the Sligo jersey. I'll remember '92 in Castlebar for a long time though.

MaroonAndWhite

Undoubtedly Scan Concannon is the one forward Galway missed out on............top notch. Donnellan and Padraig Joyce didnt look as good as Concannon at that age. There was another boy in Jarlaths around that time called Kevin Winston. He was from up in Donegal and looked a serious bit of stuff as a young player. Would be interesting to know what ever became of him.

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 21, 2007, 04:18:01 PM

Who was it they beat that year again? I know they thrashed them anyway but they rolled over everyone that year.

At least Scan got his Hogan cup medal but he really should have been collecting an All-Ireland with some of his old team-mates in 1998 too.

Frank Casey

Tadhg Kennelly - currently a Sydney Swan. There's hope yet that he might follow his brother and late father onto the field at Croke Park and who knows get a celtic cross to add to his Oz version. I'm sure he'd love to dance that jig in front of the Hogan.
KERRY 3:7

mouview

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on November 21, 2007, 05:18:46 PM
Undoubtedly Scan Concannon is the one forward Galway missed out on............top notch. Donnellan and Padraig Joyce didnt look as good as Concannon at that age. There was another boy in Jarlaths around that time called Kevin Winston. He was from up in Donegal and looked a serious bit of stuff as a young player. Would be interesting to know what ever became of him.

Going by some of his recent antics I don't think he would have the necessary discipline to have made it anyway. Corofin's Derek Reilly was another touted as the Next Great Thing, but it didn't happen. You also had the likes of Jimmy O'Dea, Tuam, Odie Monaghan (do.), and various others.

As for the hurlers, a whole generation of talent haemorraged due to bad management, bad luck, bad referees, lack of opportunity etc. A shame in particular to think that the likes of Kevin Broderick, Ollie Canning etc. may now never win an AI, though these (in contradiction of the thread topic) actually did play at the top level.

thewingedlady

Des Mackin for Armagh I'd say. Him and Diarmuid were the key players in the '92 Minor team but he never fulfilled that potential.

J70

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on November 21, 2007, 05:18:46 PM

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 21, 2007, 04:18:01 PM

Kevin Winston has played for Eunan's for years. Don't think he was ever called up to the senior county squad though.

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2007, 05:12:12 PM
Sligo - Johnny Kenny. Was devastating when in full flight. Unfortunately we got to see it all too infrequently in the Sligo jersey. I'll remember '92 in Castlebar for a long time though.

That isn't the same Johnny Kenny who played for Finn Harps and Sligo Rovers, is it?