Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GJL

Pogba was first class tonight.  8)

Utd rode their luck a few times in the first half tonight at the back. Stephen Ireland had two good chances totally unmarked.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 15, 2018, 11:01:03 PM
Most assists in Europe's top five leagues this season:

Paul Pogba (9 in 13 games)
Neymar (9 in 14 games)
Philipp Max (9 in 18 games)
Pione Sisto (9 in 19 games)
Leroy Sane (9 in 21 games)
Kevin De Bruyne (9 in 23 games)

But, Pogba's hair...

I always take the assist stats with a pinch of salt.
I can think of at least two or three  of Pogbas 'assists' that involved a 5 yard pass and the player when on to smash it in from 25 yards.
I know this applies to all players, but they can be badly skewed at time from 'real asists'
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

magpie seanie

Quote from: GJL on January 16, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

Utd rode their luck a few times in the first half tonight at the back. Stephen Ireland had two good chances totally unmarked.

Again I'm the voice in the wilderness but he was very mixed until the assist for Martial's goal after which Stoke basically folded. Lost possession a few times and left the middle wide open. United were very lucky not to concede one or two between Valencia and Martial's goals. He did plenty of good stuff too but lets be balanced. I really don't like him as one of the two central midfielders.

Gap down to 12. Realistically though United need to start beating the top sides if there's to be any remote hope of narrowing the gap further. Spurs away coming up and Burnley. Need 6 points out of those two.

GJL

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2018, 09:36:59 AM
Quote from: GJL on January 16, 2018, 12:20:07 AM

Again I'm the voice in the wilderness but he was very mixed until the assist for Martial's goal after which Stoke basically folded. Lost possession a few times and left the middle wide open. United were very lucky not to concede one or two between Valencia and Martial's goals. He did plenty of good stuff too but lets be balanced. I really don't like him as one of the two central midfielders.

Gap down to 12. Realistically though United need to start beating the top sides if there's to be any remote hope of narrowing the gap further. Spurs away coming up and Burnley. Need 6 points out of those two.

He has not been involved in a Utd defeat in his last 35 league games! I think you are under estimating his influence. His strength on the ball is excellent and his long range passing is the best in the league.

Maroon Manc

Pogba & Matic in the first half were both culpable for Stoke's chances. Ireland drifted in behind them and they didn't react. For Diouf's chance near the end Smalling was dreadful. I thought Jones was very good and has improved on the ball and shows a lot more composure in possession whilst Smalling is just a donkey. He's no better a player then when he first arrived 7 or 8 years ago, hope to see the back of him this summer.

As for Martial he has 8 league goals in 21 matches, can't imagine he's played to many 90 minutes either. Hazard has 6 league goals in 19 matches. I'm sure Martial's goals per minutes ratio will be very impressive and he's had plenty of assists too. Martial has just turned 22 and is one of the most talented players of his age, I'd probably say he's actually the most talented 22 year old in Europe alongside Sane.

Megaman

i think it was Matic & Smalling who caused the chances, mostly Smalling as highlighted by Neville, im still not sold on Matic, he started of the season good, but imo he hasnt been that good for a while now.

magpie seanie

Pogba played against Bristol so that stat is a bit meaningless. I'm not saying he's useless, far from it, just think we need to appreciate he has weaknesses and is better deployed farther up the field.

One raking pass to Shaw on the left last night was really sublime.

Martial is thankfully back doing his stuff. I was worried his personal problems and badgering by the manager might make him decide to leave but thankfully not.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2018, 10:18:58 AM
Pogba played against Bristol so that stat is a bit meaningless. I'm not saying he's useless, far from it, just think we need to appreciate he has weaknesses and is better deployed farther up the field.

Martial is thankfully back doing his stuff. I was worried his personal problems and badgering by the manager might make him decide to leave but thankfully not.

You're very harsh on Pogba, Matic was just as culpable last night and his form is a far greater worry. Apart from the West Brom game  he's been very average the last month.

Pogba is a potential world player of the year if he sorts out the defensive side of his game, he's already a world class player but can go to the next level with improvement.

Shaw did better last night defensively, lets hope he can continue to improve. I'd given up on him but he has the rest of the season to convince the manager.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 16, 2018, 11:22:03 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2018, 10:18:58 AM

You're very harsh on Pogba, Matic was just as culpable last night and his form is a far greater worry. Apart from the West Brom game  he's been very average the last month.

Pogba is a potential world player of the year if he sorts out the defensive side of his game, he's already a world class player but can go to the next level with improvement.

Shaw did better last night defensively, lets hope he can continue to improve. I'd given up on him but he has the rest of the season to convince the manager.

I agree with everything you say. I am harsh on Pogba because I see how great he can be. Matic has been very ordinary recently. I know you'd given up on Shaw but I was always hopeful for the lad. Fingers crossed he's injury free and continues to play at this level.

Denn Forever

So it looks like Sancez is going to Man U,  Where does he fit into the team and who loses out?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

GJL

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 16, 2018, 12:00:24 PM
So it looks like Sancez is going to Man U,  Where does he fit into the team and who loses out?

Right side of attack where various players have been tried but he could fit in anywhere up front.

magpie seanie

Unless there's a change in formation then Martial/Rashford or Lingard will be the losers from this. Mata has played a number of games in a row on the right - maybe he could be in bother. Who knows.

Jeepers Creepers

A very good player who is one of the of the select band in world football who can hit the ground running. However sigining a played who has admitted that he would rather go elsewhere casts some doubt over him in an Utd shirt.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2018, 12:09:08 PM

Unless there's a change in formation then Martial/Rashford or Lingard will be the losers from this. Mata has played a number of games in a row on the right - maybe he could be in bother. Who knows.

I'd like to think Mourinho would try Sanchez on the right with his usual roaming role. That was his position when he played for Udinese. If he can play well from out there it would solve a huge problem for United.

Sanchez can play anywhere though, up front or behind a striker or out left so he'll give United plenty of options.

United have an option to give Mata a years extension but haven't done so far even to protect his value which they've done with Shaw, Herrera & Blind. I reckon United are contemplating letting him leave on a free and bringing in Ozil, i'd be happy with that as Ozil is certainly an upgrade on Mata.