We need to talk about the Dubs - get it off your chest

Started by The Hill is Blue, July 18, 2017, 02:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 19, 2017, 10:45:26 PM
The Hoganstand.com would appear to be deficient a right idiot.  :-\

You still don't get it and yet I'm the idiot lmfao!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 19, 2017, 10:50:50 PM

Get your homework ready for next school term, like a good boy.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Kilkevan

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 19, 2017, 11:01:14 PM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 19, 2017, 10:50:50 PM

Get your homework ready for next school term, like a good boy.

Did Carlsberg do you lol?

Rossfan

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 19, 2017, 05:51:51 PM
Thinking, as I do, that Gaelic football is a pure scutter of a sport
Better than that hurley shtuff with lads uncontested hitting a ball wut a shtick over the bar from 100 metres. Non stop fouling but the ref only blows for a free when he needs a rest. Ridiculous game confined to Norman parts of the Country unlike football which is  played by the true Gaels.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

I think this thread shows why a few good posters haven't been around in quite a while such is the level of 'debate' in here.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2017, 09:05:44 PM
Quote from: Buttofthehill on July 19, 2017, 01:49:35 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 19, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
Leinster Minor titles  2009, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017

Leinster under 21 titles  2009, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Leinster Senior Titles 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

All Ireland Minor 2012

All Ireland u-21 2010, 2012, 2014, 2017

All Ireland Senior 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016

This Phenomenal group a really doing the business! I mean how lucky are Dublin football to suddenly fall on such riches (excuse the pun) of talent! I know it is only a fad and will pass! :P

Throw up Kerry's record too.not too shabby I'd guess.

Kerry

Munster Minor 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Munster under 21 2008, 2017

Munster Senior 2005, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Minor AI 2014, 2015, 2016

Under 21 AI 2008

Senior AI 2009, 2014

Meath

Leinster Senior 2010

Leinster u-21

Leinster Minor 2006, 2008

AI Senior

AI under 21

AI Minor

I think other Munster teams really have to have a look at the Kerry money now, the wealthiest sponsorship in Irish sporting history and when you can put GPS systems on players at a u-16 girls match you really need to look at it. Pooling the sponsorship together and then letting other teams access their new centre of excellence they are going to build which cost millions.  Waterford footballers for example.

You were not asked to post Meath stats, who cares about Meath, Had a few good years in the 90s and won a few championships for being the most violent team in history with a couple of star players, that's it. Dublin were and are always going be ahead of the rest in Leinster. Kildare will be challenging Dublin now and with years to come, they have good underage teams beating and competing with Dublin.

When Mayo won 5 in a row in Connaught, where were the calls for change?

manfromdelmonte

Thinking, as I do, that Gaelic football is a pure scutter of a sport, am I alone on this forum in not giving a bollix about Dublin?
how much do the Kilkenny footballers get for playing in the junior competition, in Britain!!

Kilkevan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2017, 09:02:48 AM
Thinking, as I do, that Gaelic football is a pure scutter of a sport, am I alone on this forum in not giving a bollix about Dublin?
how much do the Kilkenny footballers get for playing in the junior competition, in Britain!!

That's literally how little we care about it!

Quote from: Rossfan on July 20, 2017, 12:53:08 AM
Better than that hurley shtuff with lads uncontested hitting a ball wut a shtick over the bar from 100 metres. Non stop fouling but the ref only blows for a free when he needs a rest. Ridiculous game confined to Norman parts of the Country unlike football which is  played by the true Gaels.

Cú Chulainn never played "big ball blasting"!

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 09:49:44 AM

He was a good man for the javelin. A true gael like yourself.

Kilkevan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 20, 2017, 09:53:36 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 09:49:44 AM

He was a good man for the javelin. A true gael like yourself.

Lmfao is this conversation still continuing? Jeez some of ye are fair touchy... If only ye wouldn't be so arrogant in thinking a GAA Discussion board should only include "big ball blasting". I really would have thought the (Captain) Hook, line (dancing) and sinker (of ships, Uncle Albert) would have put an end to the squabbling and revealed my angle but anyway lol...

...I'm off back to the real sport section of the forum...

seafoid

Westmeath could be the next fuball superpower

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ministers-discuss-creation-of-new-city-to-stop-choking-of-dublin-1.3160483
Ministers have discussed the possibility of creating a new city in the midlands or northwest to ensure that population growth does not choke Dublin.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2017, 12:32:07 PM

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ministers-discuss-creation-of-new-city-to-stop-choking-of-dublin-1.3160483
Ministers have discussed the possibility of creating a new city in the midlands or northwest to ensure that population growth does not choke Dublin.
time to split Westmeath into two.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2017, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 20, 2017, 12:32:07 PM

time to split Westmeath into two.
Already is, hurling north of the N4 and the rest football.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 09:57:46 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 19, 2017, 09:43:26 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on July 18, 2017, 04:27:17 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2017, 04:11:32 PM
Up to the other 31 to put a Motion to Congress - Dublin to be made a Province and 4 Co Boards.
Dublin City pop 550k
Fingal pop 296k
Sth Dublin pop 218k
Dun Laoghaire Rathdown pop 218k.

Connacht for Comparison
Galway 218k
Mayowestros 134k(including Ballagh)
Sligo 65k
Rest of Ros 64k
Leitrim 32k.

Dublin senior football teams playing population is adult football leagues division 1-3 , take out clubs second teams too and then please calculate?

Population argument is the poorest.
Not quite sure what you mean by 'population.'
Are you referring to the numbers actively engaged in club football or the general population of the county.
Either way, I'm afraid the facts don't support your argument.
It's not the number of clubs that count but the number of players in such clubs.
As  far back as the early 90s, a report commissioned by Central Council found that 5 Dublin clubs had more juvenile players than any one of 5 named counties. With rural numbers steadily decreasing and their urban counterparts growing all the while, the imbalance is even worse now.
Sure many kids drop out but those who survive to senior level are the pick of those who have risen through the ranks. Players that show promise will be encouraged to stay on and those who don't make it drop out or are pushed and many will drift away from the club and from the GAA in general.
During this year's club championships. St Vincents with a total membership of 971, (website figures) played a small midlands club that had only half that number of people in the half parish it represented.
You will also find that some Dublin's mega clubs will have more resources at their disposal than some of the smaller counties. It isn't the number of players in a club that counts, it's the number the club has to to pick from.

If you are talking about the general population, I'd really like to see what your reasons for making that statement are. To me, there is no room for argument here but I'd love to hear from anyone who thinks otherwise.

So what's the problem? Dublin always had big numbers, why didn't someone bring this up in the 90s?

China and India also have big numbers playing football. An argument can swing either way.

Dublin will always will have big numbers and its something you wont get an apology for, its the best thing to happen in Dublin and great to see so many children playing our national game in our capital city, id say you would agree, only solution is grouping clubs and counties together.

A women in work from Kildare said she can get over the amount of kids at the Cul Camps down there in the Newbridge area etc. Kildare to be the next big team down the line, following by Meath, by pure demographics of the spread of urbanisation  to the those counties.
Believe it or not, it was brought up in the 90s. The very small percentage of the public at large that was involved in GAA activities was one issue to be looked at and the rise of mega clubs in the city was another. The report that was commissioned by the then Uachtaran Peter Quinn, recommended that Dublin be split in two, amongst other things and, unfortunately, when that recommendation was understandably shot down a lot of otherwise sane practical  suggestions went by the wayside also.
Mega clubs are all very well and without doubt the senior players in such clubs have a head start over all others but the drop off in numbers from, say, u10 to senior is horrendous. The Dublin GAA model caters for the elite, whereas soccer is based on much smaller, park style teams where players can engage in all sorts of mickey mouse competitions and won't be forced out as they grow older and the number of teams fielded decreases as the age level goes up.   
Sure China and India have big numbers playing soccer and yet neither are super powers, so what?
I'm told there are 10 million bicycles in Beijing yet a Chinese rider never won the Tour de France. I never said that sheer weight of numbers alone was the reason for Dublin's stranglehold on the intercounty scene. But there are indirect implications involved here that benefit Dublin greatly.
How about sponsorship? There are a right couple of tulips on this board who claim that Denis O'Brien is the mother of all sugardaddies to the Kerry team. Anything they want, they get.
There is no logical reason for any commercial entity to shovel sponsorship money into any cause- no matter how worthy, unless the benefits of advertising warrant it. Put it another way, if a company is considering a deal with Dublin GAA and a county with a much smaller population, say, Leitrim, would it be inclined to invest the same amount of money in both?
Money, above all other considerations is what needed to get to the top, at least where football is concerned.
Doctors, masseurs, psychologists and sundry quacks have to be paid and they don't come cheap.
With acknowledgements to manfromdelmonte, Dublin have a lot of facilities that other counties can't match.
Dublin have the world class gym in the national GAA centre in Abbotstown for all their teams
Westmeath have a converted shed in the old barracks in Mullingar, with a very basic range of equipment

Dublin have access to UCD, DCU, Trinity pitches as well as other centres around the capital
Westmeath have to beg for pitches - no training pitch, no centre of mediocrity

Dublin have a highest value of sponsorship (sorry partners) for their teams. among them: AIG, O'Neills, Skins, Lifestyle Sports, Ballygowan, Subaru, Jack Jones, Energise Sport, Aer Lingus, Linwoods, Gibson Hotel, ROS Nutrition, Gourmet Food Parlour. Their players get free cars to drive around in from other garages!
In areas of high density, players are more likely to live, work and train without having to travel long distances to get from one to the other. The O'Connor brothers and many other students have upwards of 1,000 kilometres a week to face during the training season.
Why didn't Dublin prosper in the 90s? I thought the answer to that is blindingly obvious. The money needed to keep them out in front of all others wasn't there to be spent like it is today.
Like I said, money is what it's all about. You have heard of The Blue Wave I'm sure. No such wave back in the 90s; not even a blue ripple on a duck pond.
Finally, and at long effin' last, I don't see much point in moaning about Dublin's long, long list of unfair advantages over every other county.
It's a fact of life. It's a case of cause and effect. I'm worried about the long term effect and the cause or causes ain't going to alter that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Buttofthehill

So how do you account for the Kerry team of 75-86 Lar?

Beating everybody out of sight and rampaging through Munster?