Billy Rackard RIP

Started by magpie seanie, March 24, 2009, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Sorry to hear of the passing of one of the legends of the game. Really enjoyed his story told through his book. RIP.

From RTE.ie

Billy Rackard dies at 79

The late Billy Rackard
Tuesday, 24 March 2009 11:00

Wexford hurling legend Billy Rackard died on Monday evening at the age of 79.

The Killanne native, who played club hurling with Rathnure, enjoyed long and distinguished service with the Model men.

Rackard made his inter-county debut in 1950 and went on to make over 40 championship appearances for the county at corner back, wing back and centre back in a career that spanned 14 years.

He hurled alongside brothers Nickey and Bobby in Wexford's 1955 and 1956 All-Ireland victories and surpassed his brothers with a third Liam McCarthy success in 1960. Two years later, he was captain of the Wexford side defeated by Tipperary in the 1962 All-Ireland Final

EddieMerx

The GAA

Reillers

Sad to hear. A legend of a man.
RIP

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam dilis.

youngfella

Poor old billy. Our elders should be taken for granted, we can learn much from them.

thoughts are with his family and friends

Pull hard and early

orangeman

I would love to have seen these lads play live. I wonder what he would have made of the Cork dispute ?

RIP

Galwaybhoy

Silky

RIP. A great player who will always be remembered.

Reillers

Om you are really classy.

heffo

slow corner back

RIP Billy, was he the last of the brothers left alive?

magpie seanie

I believe he was the last surviving brother.

rackard

I have read all the lovely comments about Billy Rackard and what a great sportsman he was ,Ihave the great honor to be part of the Rackard family my father was John who passed away on the 15th feb it has been a great comfort to to read all these messages and all the brothers are gone now Ihave two aunts left .Iwould like to say watch out for our next generation of Rackards Shane ,Jason ,Conor,Eoghain,and Gavin hopefully please god they will fill my uncles boots or try anyway

thejuice

RIP Billy Rackard. Only old enough to have heard and read stories about him. Sounded like quite hurler.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016