NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMaster

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2019, 08:13:47 AM
The Dubs haven't been using the mark as Gavin knows come the championship they can handpass and solo teams to death on the break

Teams  are resorting to hand passing as teams like Roscommon  sticking 15 bodies behind with little ambition of attacking. If you  ever played football you know pointless into 3 full forwards against 14 full backs. Hard to implement zoning players in a half and wouldn't at club level.

Itchy

Quote from: TheMaster on February 05, 2019, 09:40:36 AM
The Dubs haven't been using the mark as Gavin knows come the championship they can handpass and solo teams to death on the break

Teams  are resorting to hand passing as teams like Roscommon  sticking 15 bodies behind with little ambition of attacking. If you  ever played football you know pointless into 3 full forwards against 14 full backs. Hard to implement zoning players in a half and wouldn't at club level.

Kerry regularly had 15 men behind the ball last Sunday and Cavan worked a number of great marks against them resulting in scores. This then had the effect of Kerry keep more men closer to the FF which then allowed us to run the ball through them. Worked a treat with the wind. Obviously a lot harder against the wind.

Its ideal if you practice on it as the forward just needs to make the catch, without the mark you make the catch turn around and are confronted by 5 defenders and you pass it back out again. I believe Monaghan did something similar against Dublin in Rd 1. Its a shame it isn't being left in place for championship in my opinion.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 04, 2019, 03:05:23 PM
Are you expecting Galway to reach the All Ireland final then Maroon Manc?

Not at all. I wouldn't be as negative on the team as many Galway supporters appear to be but since Kevin Walsh there has been slight improvements every year come the championship. Given Silke & McDaid are back and that Cooke looks to have improved too its not unreasonable to expect an improvement on last year and that doesn't necessarily mean getting to a final.

manfromdelmonte

you get the ball up the field quicker than they can drop 15 behind the ball
I have coached to quite a high level

TheMaster

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2019, 11:22:00 AM

you get the ball up the field quicker than they can drop 15 behind the ball
I have coached to quite a high level

I doubt that know. Majority of teams keep at least 10 bodies behind ball regardless if defending or attacking.  Kerry have the best footballers and they can't beat blanket defence
Donegal and Tyrone won sam Maguire with blanket defence but  they had top inside forwards .

weareros

In our two league games to date, Roscommon created more scoring chances than both Mayo and Monaghan, and more goal chances too. New manager has been only in the gig since mid November and is dealing with a huge turnover and injuries. I expect when players like Diarmuid Murtagh get back to full fitness, we will see that increase. But the above is fairly lazy analysis that you'd hear on a podcast like GAA Hour.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2019, 11:04:00 AM

Not at all. I wouldn't be as negative on the team as many Galway supporters appear to be but since Kevin Walsh there has been slight improvements every year come the championship. Given Silke & McDaid are back and that Cooke looks to have improved too its not unreasonable to expect an improvement on last year and that doesn't necessarily mean getting to a final.

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought in which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: Blowitupref on February 05, 2019, 12:08:06 PM

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.

I don't think an All Ireland final against the Dubs did Tyrone any good . Big tankings in CP on the big day are very hard psychologically
Galway should be thinking about positioning themselves for the post Dubs era
Clare won a handy all Ireland in 2013 when KK got dumped out of the championship early
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on February 05, 2019, 01:01:12 PM

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.

I don't think an All Ireland final against the Dubs did Tyrone any good . Big tankings in CP on the big day are very hard psychologically
Galway should be thinking about positioning themselves for the post Dubs era
Clare won a handy all Ireland in 2013 when KK got dumped out of the championship early

Yes, these things come in cycles. This Dublin cycle should be over in about 5 years, going by their age profile (and them blooding feck all players in the mean time  ;D ). Better for Galway to sit on their hands for now, win Connacht titles and just qualify for the Super 8 (hopefully on the opposite side of the draw to Dublin).  ;D ;D ;D

Rossfan

Dublin are gone 2 years past their end of cycle date so or did they start a new one in 2017?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

GK   1   Stephen Cluxton   
CB   2   Michael Fitzsimons   
FB   3   Rory O'Carroll   
CB   4   Cian O'Sullivan   
WB   5   James McCarthy      
HB   6   Ger Brennan   
WB   7   Kevin Nolan   
MF   8   Denis Bastick   
MF   9   Michael Darragh MacAuley   
WF   10   Paul Flynn      
HF   11   Barry Cahill   
WF   12   Bryan Cullen (c)   
CF   13   Alan Brogan   
FF   14   Diarmuid Connolly   
CF   15   Bernard Brogan

Above is the 2011 AI starting team! The lads in Bold are the players who started the 2018 All Ireland final!

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2019, 08:27:57 AM

Who can forget this classic the last time ye brought us to one of your many shitholes...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0212/852087-monaghan-and-cavan-play-out-uninspiring-stalemate/
Blaney could be perceived as a shithole but at least it's not Cavan.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on February 05, 2019, 01:46:20 PM
Quote from: Itchy on February 05, 2019, 08:27:57 AM

Who can forget this classic the last time ye brought us to one of your many shitholes...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0212/852087-monaghan-and-cavan-play-out-uninspiring-stalemate/
Blaney could be perceived as a shithole but at least it's not Cavan.

Ah main Street. You will be very welcome to Cavan in the summer to sit in the oldest ground in Ulster, steeped in wonderful history, with its brand new prunty pitch and it wonderful flood lights. You can go out the back and see pictures of famous Cavan all Ireland winners on the walls. Outside the ground you can view the exciting plans for a new centre of excellence. It will be a real treat for you and the travelling Monaghan supporters.

Maroon Manc

Yes McDaid and Silke are big additions but I'm not sure what can be described as improved season on last year? Another AI semi final would show consistency. Mayo in 2011 after shipping a heavy AI semi defeat went on to reach the AI final the following year. I'm intrigued to see how Galway perform this summer some Galway supporters reckon they won't improve further and become AI contenders once again until a new manager is brought in which I think is a bit harsh considering how far Galway have come in the last 5 years.

Wouldn't be as harsh on Kevin Walsh as some others, will reserve judgment until the championship but can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. I think Galway have the players to play in a more attacking way once everyone is fit although if Galway had opened up against them on Saturday the scoreline would have been a lot more embarrassing then it was given the players available.

I'd like to see Kevin Walsh be a little less pragmatic in his approach, only time will whether he can be.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 05, 2019, 02:40:23 PM

Wouldn't be as harsh on Kevin Walsh as some others, will reserve judgment until the championship but can see why others are getting a bit frustrated. I think Galway have the players to play in a more attacking way once everyone is fit although if Galway had opened up against them on Saturday the scoreline would have been a lot more embarrassing then it was given the players available.

I'd like to see Kevin Walsh be a little less pragmatic in his approach, only time will whether he can be.

Kevin is an accountant so it's no wonder he's so fond of mentioning the bloody end of year accounts so often. Most accountants I know would be fairly risk averse so I wouldn't expect him to change. He replaced Tally with Kevin Stritch who is probably best known for his work with Castleknock in Dublin and they were a very defensive outfit. I think Walsh is who he is at this point. A conservative coach.

That said due to circumstances it's probably unfair to judge him on the league this year. He's pretty much come out and said they are well behind last year's work and are only looking to stay up by any means necessary. Still if they go down there will be serious pressure on them to perform in the Summer. You have John Divilly up at UCD and PJ with the U-20's so there are some of his former teammates knocking around that might become more attractive propositions if he has a bad year.