Super 8 Dark Horses

Started by slippery dodger, May 24, 2018, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

In the league final Carlow really dominated for large parts of the game and they uncharacteristically malfuntioned in front of goals, especially Broderick who missed a 13 yard free in front of goals. I'd have them as slight favourites against Laois and they would be a trickier opponent for anyone in the last 12. They are also more likely to make Dublin get out of 1st gear in the Leinster final.

slippery dodger

I'd love to see a somewhat competitive Leinster Final for 40/50 minutes at least. Laois have played an excellent 3 halves of football so far in championship and scored 4-13 the other day. Then you have Carlow who play a real percentage based game with very few risks taken. I can't decide who would get closer to the Dubs. I suppose for the story it would be nice to see Carlow in it. I would give whoever wins the semi-final a great chance of making the Super 8's

slippery dodger

A question on the Super 8's. Don't rugby league have copyright over the Super 8's name? Have the GAA come out and officially called it the Super 8's? It seems like the media christened it and it has just stuck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_League_Super_8s

Ball Hopper

Quote from: slippery dodger on May 29, 2018, 03:22:51 AM
A question on the Super 8's. Don't rugby league have copyright over the Super 8's name? Have the GAA come out and officially called it the Super 8's? It seems like the media christened it and it has just stuck.

It's officially called the "All-Ireland Quarter-Final Group Stage".

Also note any contest requiring a free-taking contest to decide a qualifier round winner will have the frees taken from 33 metres out. 

Rossfan

Media and the general public have been calling it "Super 8s".
Obviously lazily borrowed the term from that other stuff.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Joeythelips

Quote from: slippery dodger on May 29, 2018, 03:20:36 AM
I'd love to see a somewhat competitive Leinster Final for 40/50 minutes at least. Laois have played an excellent 3 halves of football so far in championship and scored 4-13 the other day. Then you have Carlow who play a real percentage based game with very few risks taken. I can't decide who would get closer to the Dubs. I suppose for the story it would be nice to see Carlow in it. I would give whoever wins the semi-final a great chance of making the Super 8's

Going on what we have seen so far I don't think there would be a whole lot of difference result wise, Carlow might keep the Dubs scoring down as they play a blanket defence but it would not a good match to watch. Laois have a poor defence which spells trouble for them but they have a shrewd manager and their strength is in attack so if they pushed up on Dublins kickouts they could post a decent score (although you could say Wicklows 1-11 against Dublin was a decent score). If either side puts in a decent showing against the Dubs they would not be too down mentally for the next round, getting to Super 8s for either side is basically their All Irealnd seen as both came from Div 4.

rosnarun

anything to be said for the middle 8s and the less than super 8s
have a cup for each name after a former player like Brendan or Nicholas murphy . 
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

Quote from: Ball Hopper on May 29, 2018, 04:50:59 AM
Also note any contest requiring a free-taking contest to decide a qualifier round winner will have the frees taken from 33 metres out.

back in the day when we had Oisin we'd have taken that, but that's 2018 Armagh stuffed, in the unlikely event of reaching that stage in a game. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: rosnarun on May 29, 2018, 12:16:20 PM
have a cup for each name after a former player like Brendan or Nicholas murphy .

How about ''The not so Gr8's'' and ''You sh1te and accept your Fa8 (fate)''

Aristo 60

I prefer:

Super 8's
Trooper 8's
Looper 8's

8)

CJ2017

Maybe just the "final eight", "make the eight" or "last eight" like the Australians.
AFL do call it the AFL Final Series. GAA have never officially called it the "Super 8" etc

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

Snow white and the 7 dwarfs would capture the power relations
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2018, 12:49:20 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 29, 2018, 12:16:20 PM

How about ''The not so Gr8's'' and ''You sh1te and accept your Fa8 (fate)''

Also called Division 2 and Division 3.

I suppose "the final 8" would be for Division 4.