Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

town1980

Ok I'm wrong they love Laois and all the people in it Eddie called it as it is I will too

burdizzo

I didn't say that either. No need to be a tool.

Giovanni

Quote from: ohara on November 15, 2020, 11:50:34 PM

Eddie cares about eddie...best interests of laois hurling aren't really his concern.  good manger hopefully we keep him, outside managers who come with a "fee"in general dont care about best interests of county (this is obvious)

I suppose there's not much point in this post but, in truth, nothing could be further from being obvious. Almost all management theory and practice shows that external people are often good for the operation. That's why top people from large companies are regularly poached and put into senior positions in competitor firms. The board of Miscrosoft are not going to look at someone from Paypal and say, "He's from Paypal. What the hell does he care about Microsoft"? Liverpool don't seem to be harmed by the fact that Klopp is a German. Ireland didn't seem seem to be harmed by Joe Schmidt or Jack Charlton. The idea that you can only be invested in the job if you're from the area, is a faulty one I would say

Laois Rising

Outside managers like Eddie Brennan or Mike Quirke with ambition to manage higher up the food chain in years to come are going to give total commitment to current job as they need to show their capabilities now or they wont be considered for other jobs in the future- which ultimately benefits Laois for the period they stay with them.

In order to compete at senior intercounty level you need a core group of players to be together for minimum of three years totally dedicated to upping their physicality and skill set. That's the sort of buy in required nowadays to get to the level where you can complete properly with the Wexfords, Dublin or Kilkenny in Leinster championship hurling. Unfortunately, the last number of years we have seen a revolving door with a number of hurlers coming in and out of the squad. Ultimately, you cannot make real progress in this situation- where players do return, realistically they cannot reach the requisite peak condition in six months or so to seriously challenge.

For that reason I would like to see Eddie continue on but only if he can commit to another two years. Continue with the squad of players that have been committed since he came in and are truly willing to maximise their efforts to complete in a Leinster championship with the likes of Kilkenny, Wexford and Dublin next year with the longer term aim of being in a position to have a right crack at teams come the 2022 Leinster championship (providing we avoid relegation in 2021).     

Giovanni

This would be the smart way to approach it.

They should be using the moral high ground to extract a longer term commitment from him rather than looking to get rid of him.

seafoid

Quote from: Giovanni on November 16, 2020, 09:12:42 AM
Quote from: ohara on November 15, 2020, 11:50:34 PM

Eddie cares about eddie...best interests of laois hurling aren't really his concern.  good manger hopefully we keep him, outside managers who come with a "fee"in general dont care about best interests of county (this is obvious)

I suppose there's not much point in this post but, in truth, nothing could be further from being obvious. Almost all management theory and practice shows that external people are often good for the operation. That's why top people from large companies are regularly poached and put into senior positions in competitor firms. The board of Miscrosoft are not going to look at someone from Paypal and say, "He's from Paypal. What the hell does he care about Microsoft"? Liverpool don't seem to be harmed by the fact that Klopp is a German. Ireland didn't seem seem to be harmed by Joe Schmidt or Jack Charlton. The idea that you can only be invested in the job if you're from the area, is a faulty one I would say

Agree. Laois hurling needs an outsider who can bring local talent with him to get Laois playing at the top table.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Laoisred

Some good points made by Gio & LR there. It is hard to know what way that meeting will go. If it is a review (looking beyond the podcast interview) then EB needs to be challenged on 1) his continuous media & social media engagement (which in many respects has caught up with him), 2) performance of the team in championship, (awful v Dublin in both halves, played for one half v Clare when a weakened Clare were down to 14 men) 3) why certain players will not commit to a Laois Hurling Team under him 4) combined plan to improve things in 2021. If its just about the interview and the content, then it is a missed opportunity.

I hope EB is retained because he has helped improve things - Joe McDonagh performances were much better last year and league form in 2020 was an improvement on 2019. The team has an identity and shows some really good qualities. But he needs to be challenged too to help drive the standards that will help build momentum from the senior team down.

There will be more scrutiny on the meeting (and the statements thereafter) because of the podcast interview. To be honest I'm not sure there would have even been a review if it weren't for that. My gut is telling me that he won't be Manager much longer and both he and Corcoran will have plenty of suitors.

blueandwhite1

Here is the job spec for next senior hurling manager:

- Doesn't stir the pot or throw the county board under the bus or highlight it's ineptness
- Doesn't cost much
- Has enough of a profile that the county board said they got their man but not so much as that he can't be sacrificed when things go wrong
- Ability to bring the county forward - optional

Joeythelips

Im not really a hurling man but I do follow the country team as best I can, down the years with Laois its usually we have a few decent players and an average set up with several good players not committing to the cause for whatever reason. Laois would put it up to certain teams but once they stepped up to play a top tier side they would get bet out of the gate.

It is not easy getting a decent manager for a county team like ours and we have had plenty of journey men who have been a shambles with the 10-20 conceded to Cork 9 years ago a stand out moment. Cheddar was even tasked with seeking a manger and had to take the job himself, I was at the Galway game i what was. a huge improvement in terms of standard from Laois. But Laois could not push on and it seemed like they might fall back to the doldrums and Eddie Brennan could have been yet another journey man manager.

From an outsider looking in it was clear that Brennan was the real deal, again there was talk of some layers who were not on board, but this was ignored by management who were just interested in players committing and preparing a team to compete which they did, not only did they win the Joe McD cup they then went on to beat a highly fancied Dublin team and even gave eventual AI champions a run for their money until they were reduced to 14 men. After such a hugely successful year you would imagine it would have the 'Micko' effect of everyone pulling together to make sure the players have the best possible opportunity of competing at the highest level. Yet we heard players would not be available this year and wondered would this be another fall from grace, the Dubs put us to the sword but the lads bounced back and really gave it everything against Clare. For me it shows that Brennan has the potential to be a top manager and I would not be surprised to see hm manage the Cats in future.

Laois really need to do all they can to keep him in charge and address any areas he feels we are lacking or we will look back on this period as an opportunity missed. I get that people are upset over his comments but it was meant to off the record and a bit of a joke that it got released, Parkinson should be ashamed of himself if it was indeed a genuine mistake. Im sure worse things have been said about county boards up and down the country off the record.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on November 16, 2020, 03:26:26 PM
Here is the job spec for next senior hurling manager:

- Doesn't stir the pot or throw the county board under the bus or highlight it's ineptness
- Doesn't cost much
- Has enough of a profile that the county board said they got their man but not so much as that he can't be sacrificed when things go wrong
- Ability to bring the county forward - optional

100% box ticking exercise

Giovanni

To be fair to the country board, I think they've generally done a good job in selecting hurling managers. Cheddar's appointment was clever (even if it kinda happened by accident) and Eddie Brennan's appointment was inspired. There is always an element of luck in every recruitment effort (especially for the small fish) but here I think they've done pretty well in both codes but especially hurling, at least in recent years. It would be a real shame to undo those good decisions now.

on the hop

Enjoyed rickie cashin's interview on laois people. If his comments about secondary school hurling participation in certain schools is true, things won't improve

The PRO

Quote from: Giovanni on November 16, 2020, 08:23:57 PM
To be fair to the country board, I think they've generally done a good job in selecting hurling managers.
Jeepers, I'm no "bash the county board" merchant but we've had some terrible managers too. Teddy McCarthy, Peter Creedon, O Fatharta, Eamonn Kelly.
Different boards of course.

clonadmad

Quote from: on the hop on November 16, 2020, 11:10:58 PM
Enjoyed rickie cashin's interview on laois people. If his comments about secondary school hurling participation in certain schools is true, things won't improve

There's more lads available to play cricket in the CBS in first year this year than there is to play hurling

But it's even too late at second level.

The work needs to be put in at national school level by the teachers,the clubs and the parents and it isn't

High Fielder

Let's hope common sense prevails whenever this meeting takes place. Eddie needs to apologise and the CB need to see what's good for the hurlers. Any deviation from that, on either side, and it's game over. Assuming this all ends peacefully, Eddie and Mike Quirke need to sit down with the CB and spell out exactly what they want. If that goes past the point at which the CB are able to fund it, then the CB need to say this to the Laois public, and see if there is a willingness to put hands in pockets