Another Kerry player fails a doping test

Started by Il Bomber Destro, May 28, 2017, 11:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

There are 2 questions in this case:

1) What was the name of the contaminated supplement?
2) Why were other Kerry squad members not told not to take this supplement when they were aware that there was a danger of a positive test.

You have an eejit like Parkinson saying that there is absolutely no issue with drugs in the GAA, that it's filthy sports like athletics and cycling that have the problems. How does he even know this, it's a case of batten down the hatches and hear no evil see no evil. He has his own media interests and access rights to protect so he tows the line. The GAA authorities and media outlets shouldn't just pretend that this is not a potential issue because it is. I don't believe it is widespread but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are individual players who are acting alone in seeking out any physical advantage they can get. Anyone who has ever played the sport knows of players who would have carried the contents of a small pharmacy in the side pocket of their gear bag. More often than not, these were players who were big into physical fitness and gym work. Where a gym culture exists there always exists a danger that players will take short cuts.   

GalwayBayBoy

I found Parkinson's views on it very puzzling. For someone who has basically built his GAA media career on being anti the old farts and conservatives in the upper echelons of GAA bureaucracy he has adopted a virulent "there's nothing to see here" approach to doping in the GAA. Even rowing with players like Eamonn McGee and Aidan O'Rourke over articles they wrote over the weekend. Or in O'Rourke's case I think he gave his views on Twitter rather than in an article.

He view seems to be because not very many GAA players have actually been caught it's not a problem.

ballinaman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 30, 2017, 02:05:11 PM
I found Parkinson's views on it very puzzling. For someone who has basically built his GAA media career on being anti the old farts and conservatives in the upper echelons of GAA bureaucracy he has adopted a virulent "there's nothing to see here" approach to doping in the GAA. Even rowing with players like Eamonn McGee and Aidan O'Rourke over articles they wrote over the weekend. Or in O'Rourke's case I think he gave his views on Twitter rather than in an article.

He view seems to be because not very many GAA players have actually been caught it's not a problem.
Yeah, his main argument was that he hadn't seen any doping during his time so that's enough evidence for him. Hate to break it to Wolly, his time is over.

tonto1888

I dont know how anyone can say there is a problem of doping in the GAA when there have only been a couple of positive tests in the last number of years. That said, didn't yer man on the GAAHour say there was only something like 96 tests carried out last year so certainly there needs to be a lot more testing. You cant also make sweeping statements like people are in the gym more and more therefore ther will be doping - not aimed at anyone on this board but a twitter user.
Last point, its not like GAA has a history of this type of thing like say cycling does.

Regrading the Kerry players identity not being released was that not more to do with the fact he was appealing?
I'm prepard for people to tell me I'm burying my head in the sand.Im not. If there are people in the GAA doping I want them found out and banned, I just don't think you can say there is a culture of it. Certainly not with what we know at the moment

bennydorano

If the bans are secret how do you know what's really going on, that is (part of) the point. This was exposed by a Journo, there was no declarations by Kerry Gaa or Sport Ireland. As Kimmage said it smacks of managing a problem rather than dealing with it.

tonto1888

Quote from: bennydorano on May 30, 2017, 05:01:58 PM
If the bans are secret how do you know what's really going on, that is (part of) the point. This was exposed by a Journo, there was no declarations by Kerry Gaa or Sport Ireland. As Kimmage said it smacks of managing a problem rather than dealing with it.

Wasn't it kept under wraps because the guy kept appealing it

Saffrongael

Tomas OSe took the "shut look Des there is nothing going on here"
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

yellowcard

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 30, 2017, 05:26:13 PM
Tomas OSe took the "shut look Des there is nothing going on here"

Hear no evil see no evil, ach sure look Des he's a lovely fellow. Which he could well be, but what has that got to do with whether he took a performance enhancing product or not.

According to Marc O'Se on the Matt Cooper show, the players never knew anything about it until the story broke in the last few days. Aw c'mon Matt, sure I sat beside him in the dressing room and he's not the sort of fella who would be into that sort of stuff. A lovely young fella, sure look, he wouldn't be into fast cars or money or any of that sort of thing. Next question please Matt.

DJGaliv

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 30, 2017, 03:58:29 PM
I dont know how anyone can say there is a problem of doping in the GAA when there have only been a couple of positive tests in the last number of years. That said, didn't yer man on the GAAHour say there was only something like 96 tests carried out last year so certainly there needs to be a lot more testing. You cant also make sweeping statements like people are in the gym more and more therefore ther will be doping - not aimed at anyone on this board but a twitter user.
Last point, its not like GAA has a history of this type of thing like say cycling does.

Regrading the Kerry players identity not being released was that not more to do with the fact he was appealing?
I'm prepard for people to tell me I'm burying my head in the sand.Im not. If there are people in the GAA doping I want them found out and banned, I just don't think you can say there is a culture of it. Certainly not with what we know at the moment

Sorry now, but totally disagree with you there.

This is going round in circles - nobody is saying GAA has a big doping problem so don't know who you are arguing with.
What is feeding the flames of this debate is this type of deflective attitude when coming under pressure for one of the players in a top 2 team failing a drug test. "Sure we're not like cycling, leave the lads be".

Can there not be a number of lads taking supplements bought online without there being a culture of it. 20 years ago you wouldn't have lads weighing their food, and making quinoa salads - all looking for that extra percentage. It's that strive for the extra percentage that's gonna make 1% of lads go overboard and take the risk. Because that's what it is when you buy supplements yourself outside the team dietician, you are taking a risk.

Sport Ireland even have a page dedicated to managing that risk if you do, against their advice, decide to purchase supplements.

Load of lads commenting in media basically making two points deflecting away.

1) I didn't take any dodgy supplements, wouldn't do it, and didn't see anyone do it in my time er go there's no doping in GAA.
2) He's a good guy and not that kind of player

1) Sport is a different world today than what it was 10, or even 5 years ago. The margins are getting even tighter, lads are pushing the boundaries all the time. I think lads secretly go down these roads by themselves rather than any culture or organisation to it. Probably handful of lads doing it, but doing it nonetheless.

2) This is same defence lads who get sent off for a bad tackle get said about them afterwards. If you did it you are that kind of player. These dopers are regular joe soaps, unremarkable lads. Some people have this notion that dopers are easy to spot, like as if there's a Rasputin looking character muttering 19th century Russian getting ready for a Meath trial in a changing room in Dunshaughlin.

yellowcard

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 30, 2017, 06:30:23 PM

This is going round in circles - nobody is saying GAA has a big doping problem so don't know who you are arguing with.
What is feeding the flames of this debate is this type of deflective attitude when coming under pressure for one of the players in a top 2 team failing a drug test. "Sure we're not like cycling, leave the lads be".

Can there not be a number of lads taking supplements bought online without there being a culture of it. 20 years ago you wouldn't have lads weighing their food, and making quinoa salads - all looking for that extra percentage. It's that strive for the extra percentage that's gonna make 1% of lads go overboard and take the risk. Because that's what it is when you buy supplements yourself outside the team dietician, you are taking a risk.

Sport Ireland even have a page dedicated to managing that risk if you do, against their advice, decide to purchase supplements.

1) I didn't take any dodgy supplements, wouldn't do it, and didn't see anyone do it in my time er go there's no doping in GAA.

1) Sport is a different world today than what it was 10, or even 5 years ago. The margins are getting even tighter, lads are pushing the boundaries all the time. I think lads secretly go down these roads by themselves rather than any culture or organisation to it. Probably handful of lads doing it, but doing it nonetheless.

2) This is same defence lads who get sent off for a bad tackle get said about them afterwards. If you did it you are that kind of player. These dopers are regular joe soaps, unremarkable lads. Some people have this notion that dopers are easy to spot, like as if there's a Rasputin looking character muttering 19th century Russian getting ready for a Meath trial in a changing room in Dunshaughlin.

Agree with that 100%.

mcklatchee

Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2017, 02:09:09 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/osullivan-says-contaminated-supplement-caused-positive-test-451156.html

"Last weekend, the42.ie revealed that five teams missed drugs tests since 2015 – Dublin hurlers, Mayo and Armagh footballers in '15 and Kilkenny's hurlers and Carlow's footballers (twice) in '16. Kilkenny, Carlow and Armagh explained change in training venues as reasons. Inter-county players are required to be available for drugs tests as part of their Government funding".

The low level of testing, the seeming ease with which tests can be avoided, the seeming lack of consequences for avoiding a test, the non publication of the test failure by the authorities and the overall circling of the wagons are all as worrying as O'Sullivan's test failure. 

The authorities are in dock for first 4 of these

There really has to be answers
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

tonto1888

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 30, 2017, 06:30:23 PM

Yeah, I could have been clearer. I wasn't putting that out against anyone on here but some in twitter are saying good there is a big problem. One particular person saying that as the gym has become. Ore and more a part of GAA then so has doping.
I never said leave the lads be. I said if anyone is doping then I want them caught and banned. I also never mentioned soiled supplements as an excuse. The guy failed a drugs test. That's on him.
My point about cycling was that if we had anywhere near the number of failed tests as cycling does, or athletics, then we could say there is a culture.
I'm not trying to deflect at all. I also mentioned the small number of tests carried out. We need more testing I think. 
Your post was a good one. I enjoyed reading it

Il Bomber Destro

What strikes me about the two Kerry lads who have failed these doping tests is that they did it post game - both after national finals. Call me a cynic here but that doesn't seem like naivety.

macdanger2

Agree 100% with DJGaliv.

There may or may not be a culture of doping but failed tests indicates that more needs to be done to investigate and eliminate it. Sticking your head in the sand and saying there's no problem doesn't make it so

I'd imagine it's very easy to get these drugs and the chances of being tested are minimal - 96 tests last year works out at <1/5000 chance of being tested on any given day for an intercounty player. Particularly guys who are on the fringes of panels/teams, there's huge incentive and tiny risk.

Ball Hopper

From the Irish Examiner today:

"It is believed O'Sullivan sought an alternative tablet form to the caffeine gels his Kerry colleagues were taking, and made the mistake of sourcing the product over the counter from a health store.

He was unfortunate that the particular batch he bought was found in subsequent testing to be contaminated.

He has acknowledged his "rookie error" with regard to not going through Kerry team nutritionist Kevin Beasley or team medic, Dr Mike Finnerty."

Very foolish of him, to put it mildly, just because he didn't like the taste of the "official" supplement.