"His Mother was from Fiji,his father a Fermanagh man"

Started by seanobrien12, September 02, 2007, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanobrien12

As Micheál O Muircheartaigh prepares to convey this years All Ireland Hurling and Football finals to radio listeners across Ireland, Europe & Indeed the world,I begin to wonder how many more All Ireland's this Wiley old campaigner he has left in him?

O Muircheataigh turned 77 two days ago and is now 8 years older than Micheal O Hehir before he retired from broadcasting due to health issues in 1985

People said O Hehir was irreplaceable,but O Muircheartaigh proved us all wrong. Now I Begin to think O Muircheartaigh may be irreplaceable? There is not a broadcaster in the world with such a magnificent way with words as O Muircheartaigh.However,over the last two seasons,I myself have realized that Micheal is aging.

Micheal O Hehir had the uncanny knack of making the most dower of sporting events sound exciting with his high tone and powerful speech and language,but I would prefer Micheal O Muircheartaigh simply because of his wit.

Who would/will replace a colourful character like Micheal O Muircheartaigh?Thoughts welcome!

Just Some of his Magnificent comments over the years.....

Anthony Lynch the Cork corner back will be the last person to let you down - his people are undertakers"

"I saw a few Sligo people at Mass in Gardiner street this morning and the omens seem to be good for them, the priest was wearing the same colours as the Sligo jersey! 40 yards out on the Hogan stand side of the field Ciaran Whelan goes on a rampage, its a goal. So much for religion."

"Colin Corkery on the 45 lets go with the right boot. Its over the bar. This man shouldn't be playing football. He's made an almost Lazarus-like recovery from a heart condition. Lazarus was a great man but he couldn't kick points like Colin Corkery. "

"1-5 to 0-8.. well from Lapland to the Antarctic, that's level scores in any man's language". "Pat Fox has it on his hurl and is motoring well now ... but here comes Joe Rabbitte hot on his tail ...... I've seen it all now, a Rabbitte chasing a Fox around Croke Park!"

"I see John O Donnell dispensing water on the sideline. Tipperary, sponsored by a water company. Cork Sponsored by a tae company. I wonder will they meet later for afternoon tae."

"Teddy looks at the ball, the ball looks at Teddy"

"Danny "The Yank" Culloty. He came down from the mountains and hasn't he done well"

"He grabs the sliotar, he's on the 50......he's on the 40......he's on the 30..........................he's on the ground"

"In the first half they played with the wind. In the second half they played with the ball".

"He kicks the ball lan san aer, could've been a goal, could've been a point.............it went wide."

"Stephen Byrne with the puck out for Offaly....Stephen, one of 12......all but one are here to-day, the one that's missing is Mary, she's at home minding the house.....and the ball is dropping i lar na bpairce...."

"Pat Fox out to the forty and grabs the sliothar, I bought a dog from his father last week. Fox turns and sprints for goal, the dog ran a great race last Tuesday in Limerick. Fox to the 21 fires a shot, it goes to the left and wide..... and the dog lost as well."

"Sean Og o Hailpin.... his father's from Fermanagh, his mother's from Fiji, neither a hurling stronghold"

"Teddy McCarthy to Mick McCarthy, no relation, Mick McCarthy back to Teddy McCarthy, still no relation "

Denn Forever

It will be tough when he retires.  Who can we get to replace him?  Nobody oin the current team would have the same "blas". (how do you get the fada on the a?)

Are there any local radio commentators out there that could do a job?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Rossfan

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 03, 2007, 01:33:26 PM
  Nobody oin the current team would have the same "blas". (how do you get the fada on the a?)

There's no fada in the word blas. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Denn Forever

Is it not pronounced Blaaas, long a,  hence the need for a fada.  Oh well. :-\
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Armagh4SamAgain

grate man all together. I always listen to him on sundays durin the NFL. i love it when he shouts out in Irish all of a suden even thou i dont understand a word
'We just go out to play our football and let the critics say what they want. They usually do anyway"

DoYerJob Linesman

If I have to read those same qoutes again, I 'll f'ing scream!!!

>:(
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

parttimeexile

Quote from: DoYerJob Linesman on September 03, 2007, 10:58:59 PM
If I have to read those same qoutes again, I 'll f'ing scream!!!

>:(

Sure why don't you just not read them, if it saves you a lot of anguish! ;)

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: Denn Forever on September 03, 2007, 01:33:26 PM
It will be tough when he retires.  Who can we get to replace him?  Nobody oin the current team would have the same "blas". (how do you get the fada on the a?)

Are there any local radio commentators out there that could do a job?

Eddie Moroney from Tipperary

orangeman

JP Graham - you're taking the piss !

Micheal as well as being a legend is a real gentleman - apparently their mother died young and they were reared by an aunt in a very remote part - a very intelligent man and a true Gael.

Bensars

there was another thread ( maybe on the old board) with many more quotes.   

Does anybody have access to it?

Will Hunting

Maybe he's beginning to lose it a bit. After last week's semi between Kerry and Dublin he said that the Kerry v Cork Final will be the first time teams from the same province will contest the football final. It's happened in hurling he said, but not football!! :o

dodo

Quote from: Will Hunting on September 04, 2007, 12:25:33 PM
Maybe he's beginning to lose it a bit. After last week's semi between Kerry and Dublin he said that the Kerry v Cork Final will be the first time teams from the same province will contest the football final. It's happened in hurling he said, but not football!! :o

The fecker  :P

From the Bunker

Have great respect for the man. Brought a great sence of vision and colour to the spoken radio commentary. But like all celebrities has often annoyed me with side-steps on controversial topics. Also hated that commentary to music he did a few years ago. Really weakened his stock! Still a legend, and unlike Marty M. never shows bias to the weaker, popular or home county. LIVING LEGEND