John Morrison RIP

Started by bloody mary, February 12, 2019, 01:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloody mary

John Morrison once told a group of players at a training session to go over to a skip at the side of the pitch and throw their negative thoughts into it. Way ahead of his time. Lovely man and a great GAA man. RIP. I'm sure everyone has their own story about John..

imtommygunn

Ah that's sad. He definitely thought outside the box. RIP.

BennyHarp

Very sad - one of the GAA's great personalities. RIP John.
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Massive loss for all involved. A great man.

Captain Obvious

Great coach that was ahead of his time. Pure gent RIP John.

macdanger2

Oraisteach

balladmaker

RIP John, a great Gael and way ahead of his time.

Tubberman

RIP - he was unique in his methods for sure!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Insane Bolt

R.I.P. John. Definitely way ahead of his time. Back in late 70's early 80's John was introducing us to strength and conditioning......and yoga.....of course we laughed....little did we realise then that he was spot on. Condolences to all the family.

J70

That's sad to hear. Seemed a larger than life character and a nice man. Definitely liked during his stint with Donegal.

Rufus T Firefly

As I mentioned on another thread, John's sudden passing has come as a shock. A larger than life character and a giant of our Club over the last fifty years, having been Chairman in the late seventies and early eighties when we acquired and redeveloped our ground at Abbey Park. He was deservedly inducted into our Hall of Fame in recent years.

The end of John's long Championship career with Armagh Harps coincided with my own Championship debut, when he played full back in front of me, marking Peter Rafferty of the Grange - May 1988 in Ballymacnab - fond memories indeed.

Beefer was one of the few players at our Club who made the ball 'whistle' during shooting practice, such was the force he used to generate with that left peg of his! Not an enjoyable experience trying to stop them. His loss will be felt not just in the Morrison household, but in our Club and in Armagh City generally. 

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam. 

Kickham csc

Quote from: Insane Bolt on February 12, 2019, 01:58:13 PM
R.I.P. John. Definitely way ahead of his time. Back in late 70's early 80's John was introducing us to strength and conditioning......and yoga.....of course we laughed....little did we realise then that he was spot on. Condolences to all the family.

Really struggle with this one.
As a person, I thought he was genuine, a man who cared about the squad and was really into the spiritual wellness of the players. Nice guy.

As a coach I thought he was overrated. He seemed to follow a textbook format approach, very organized but don't deviate from his drills. His training didn't feel like it was grounded from a natural football intuition point of view. Also in later years, he would preach about player protection. Something he didn't practice.   

BennyCake

Read some of his Gaelic Life columns. One in particular stood out for me.

Basically it was aimed at those coaching, especially young kids. Or even for parents with kids. Basically, nurture kids, let them express themselves, don't be belittling or criticising. Never be afraid to try or fail.I'm sure we all can relate to things said to us about our sporting life, education, behaviour etc, and how some people may have said something that just put us off ever participating in that thing again.

Some kids are good at things, others not. But everyone has their own talents, which should be nurtured and encouraged.

Whatever about his training methods, his columns like that one described, is more valuable.

RIP John

mayo.mick

John was really liked by all supporters here in Mayo as well as all the squad. Its a pity they'd such a short stint here in '06, who knows what himself and Micky would have achieved if they'd a longer spell with Mayo. RIP John, condolences to all his family.
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick