Padge Kehoe R.I.P.

Started by Bud Wiser, February 04, 2007, 06:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Sad to hear of the passing of Padge Kehoe the great Wexford Hurler.  As one of the older members of the board I remember growing up with scissors in hand to cut pictures of his like from the Sunday Press and despatch them to the scrap book to take their place among my heroes of the time.   A few years ago I had a meeting with his son Brian and we were discussing the fact that RTE on its Merchandise promotions were offering a cassette audio tape of Micheal O'Hehir broadcasting the 1956 All-Ireland between Wexford and Cork.

Padge played in that All-Ireland rated to be the greatest of all time.   Brian remarked to me that it was a pity they did not have TV cameras then because Padge scored a cracking goal in the second minute.   Well they had cameras then(Pathe News) and an insider in RTE who will remain nameless provided me with a full tape of both the minor (I think Eddie Keher played minor against Watwerford)and senior game of that day, Padges day, in 1956.  I had Premium Seats at that time and I was a little chuffed to be able to give Brian two tickets for himself and the  his famous Dad to see Kilkenny and Wexford in the Leinster Final, along with a copy of both tapes.

I am sure some will say there was more than one Cuchullains Son in Wexford and I am equally sure that the Blackstairs men will be out in force tomorrow morning at Glencarrig, Enniscorthy to say farewell to a great man.  Condolences to Brian and family.  May he Rest In Peace.