Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Out of the Championship again at the first possible opportunity.  No home.  Division Four.  Meanwhile CARLOW are having fun.  WATERFORD are having fun.  FERMANAGH are having fun.  Someone remind me how much longer we have to wait before the Saffron Vision can be questioned?

BrendanAntrim

Go ahead Sportacus. Ask away. Now is the time to blame our Co Board on Carlow and Waterford winning matches and on SF / DUP not doing a deal to get into Government and make a planning decision on Casement. That  Saffron Vision shower. Bringing millions of euro into the development of our games, putting the Gaelfast project in place. Who do they think they are?

Sportacus

Brendan I said 'question', not 'blame' - two very different things.  Saffron Vision are clearly working hard to bring finance in which will make things happen.  For that hard work we should all be grateful.  But is it not fair to question what seems to effectively be zero progress on the pitch, and the buck stops with the leadership (normally).  We can't just say oh well that's it for another year.     

BrendanAntrim

So what are your questions then?

Sportacus

Football has continued to decline so the question is simple, have football decisions thus far been a failure, or part of a longer term something? 
If there's a turning point up ahead then great, but it's fair to question what's been going on considering we are basically bottom of the pile.

BrendanAntrim

Ok, fair enough. What do you think is the answer to that question? I wasn't at today's match so can't really comment in detail. But take say the drawn league game v Wicklow which was really the damaging game in terms of promotion. Should a member of the county board come on to take the last, late free to win the game? Who, the treasurer, or vice Chairman? Or in the championship game v Down...should the Chairman have pressed up on the Down kickouts, or maybe the PRO? 

Sorry man, but sniping from the sidelines is just poor form. We are all hurting today, course we are. But throwing blame on the night of two defeats is no good to anyone.

ManInBlackandGreen

Its a simple scenario  " The more things change, the more they stay the same" the SV concept raising funds has been very successful and to be commended however and not to labour the point but below the initial senior positions its the same people for years and years just with different titles, couldn't do it then cant do it now... They need to purge the whole set up ... and before the usual rhetoric starts about volunteer's etc most of them have been doing this for so long god help them they've nothing else at this stage.... Fermanagh got it right in less than 12 months right people in the right place...

Sportacus

Brendan, your analogies about the County Board are ridiculous. If you are going to spend your time slaying anyone who 'questions' (not 'blamed') how we've got to this low ebb then there won't be many lessons learned. 

Belfast GAA man

Brendan, I think you are missing the point of discussion boards i.e. to facilitate debate
We all know the guys on the county board and are working extremely hard to turn Antrim around and its also obvious that no improvements are yet visible on the pitch

IMO we need the following

- Program for Belfast primary schools - achieved
- Program for Belfast secondary schools
- Support program for clubs coaching
- Financial support for clubs who want do develop their facilities
- Casement open

With only one of these in place to start we have many more years in the doldrums I fear..........

All opinions welcome to be heard on this !

paddyjohn

The problem is that to many posters on this board have their own agenda to promote and their own mates to protect.

Lenny may or may not get it right in the second year, I don't know, what I do know is that if you doing what you always did, you'll get the same results as you always have.

Milltown Row2

Poor enough end to the season for Antrim in both codes and thats becoming the norm now.... There is a mindset I believe that Antrim players have settled for less than they deserve... Pride in the jersey has been missing, yes Baker brought us to an Ulster final and we scared Kerry one day, but thats been one period in over 40 odd years..

Some sort of think tank with clubs/players/managers and concerned Antrim Gaels needs to be done, I'm sure it has been done in the past but a frank and open debate on the best foot forward.. and none of it should be throwing dirt and people, constructive conversations, because at the minute there is, I suppose always has been a cancerous element within Antrim which has dragged us down even further (if thats possible)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

belfastsaff

what was the issue with mckeever on Saturday ?

paddyjohn

I think one thing we can all agree on is that we are totally scunnered with the lack of success over the last few years. Now that can be laid at the door of the old guard and they can be blamed, Saffron Vision maybe changed it.

Telling a lad on the bus down he isn't starting and then putting him on and taking him off isn't really decent man management is it?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 11, 2018, 12:18:52 PM
I think one thing we can all agree on is that we are totally scunnered with the lack of success over the last few years. Now that can be laid at the door of the old guard and they can be blamed, Saffron Vision maybe changed it.

Telling a lad on the bus down he isn't starting and then putting him on and taking him off isn't really decent man management is it?

What was the circumstances to that? Its not ideal, I'd a similar problem in a Club hurling semi final once..possibly slightly different but the manager is only doing his best for the team, and none of it is personal with the players..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 11, 2018, 12:18:52 PM

What's wrong with it, he was informed he wasn't starting. He came on and the manager thought he wasn't performing or he was injured and he was replaced. Seriously wtf is wrong with it