Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

so the sensible approach wasn't taken.

ah well, its a double header and a chance to see two games for a neutral which is handy for everyone
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 01:47:27 PM

ah well, its a double header and a chance to see two games for a neutral which is handy for everyone

What's the reason for the big delay in getting the semi finals played?

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 01:47:27 PM

27th?

All finalists are known. That's four weeks between county finals and Ulster semi-finals.

Am I missing something?

marty34

Slaughtneil probably have football?

Na Glinntí Glasa

no idea at all. the Derry champs dont play in it till the 3rd of November in the Ulster football so the timing behind it makes no sense at all.
hurl like f**k boi!

Baile an tuaigh

After watching the two semifinals I thought Dunloy would win it outright. Cushendall got a lucky goal in the first half and the score line slightly flattered them at that stage as Dunloy were doing most of the hurling.

I wonder where Cushendall would be at without McManus he's a serious hurler. The young skinny corner forward I think his name is Delargy looks a good prospect.

Ulster not that easy to predict. I expect a big drive from Slaughtneil this year they seem very focused on their preparations.

I thought the half time break was very long for the players. Also thought TNAG should have had the cameras set up on the opposite side of the field. At least you would see the huge crowd with Fairhead and Knocklayde in the background.

Can't forget to mention the referee I thought he done a good job. As for the Dunloy keeper he made up for his mistake with a couple of great second half saves.

Any team that can beat Cushendall are very good. That's why I think Ulster will be well represented in the semifinals.

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 02:45:20 PM
no idea at all. the Derry champs dont play in it till the 3rd of November in the Ulster football so the timing behind it makes no sense at all.

But they have semi-final this week-end and the county final, if they win, after that.

Na Glinntí Glasa

they do but thats not any concern for the other 3 teams at this stage who have to wait 4 weeks for another game.

its actually more farcical for the senior camogie finalist in Antrim who have to wait over a month to play their Ulster Final.

hurl like f**k boi!

johnnycool

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 04:22:39 PM
they do but thats not any concern for the other 3 teams at this stage who have to wait 4 weeks for another game.

its actually more farcical for the senior camogie finalist in Antrim who have to wait over a month to play their Ulster Final.

The camogie thing takes me to the cleaners.

Clonduff won the AI intermediate title and are still in the Ulster intermediate grade.

How does that work?

marty34

True DR but it's probably best way. Dual clubs should be supported.

I'm not sure what way it was last year or year before. 

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on October 02, 2019, 04:38:13 PM

Clonduff won the AI intermediate title and are still in the Ulster intermediate grade.

How does that work?

Strange alright. Grading is an issue.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: marty34 on October 02, 2019, 04:40:09 PM

True DR but it's probably best way. Dual clubs should be supported.

I'm not sure what way it was last year or year before.

I do agree, coming from a dual club as well, but it does all seem to be badly planned out each year.
hurl like f**k boi!

Na Glinntí Glasa

How does that work?

Senior in Ulster only has Antrim v Derry. No semis etc, just them two into a final.

Intermediate only has Down v Tyrone. same as above except its the two senior teams from each county who enter it.

Junior is a bit more messed up. the Antrim reps are the countys Intermediate champs, same with Down, Armagh etc. The Cavan senior champs etc

they have then a Junior B and then a shield comp as well.

Its a complete joke of a set up where teams win ulster (and potentially an all ireland) and stay in the same competition each year.

Clonduff should of moved up to senior but then it would leave Tyrone in limbo as intermediate on their own. Corsserlough from Cavan won Ulster Junior 2 years on the trot so Cavan should of moved up into intermediate but hey ho no one thought of all of that.
hurl like f**k boi!

marty34

Quote from: Dunloy realist on October 02, 2019, 04:50:10 PM

How does that work?

Senior in Ulster only has Antrim v Derry. No semis etc, just them two into a final.

Intermediate only has Down v Tyrone. same as above except its the two senior teams from each county who enter it.

Junior is a bit more messed up. the Antrim reps are the countys Intermediate champs, same with Down, Armagh etc. The Cavan senior champs etc

they have then a Junior B and then a shield comp as well.

Its a complete joke of a set up where teams win ulster (and potentially an all ireland) and stay in the same competition each year.

Clonduff should of moved up to senior but then it would leave Tyrone in limbo as intermediate on their own. Corsserlough from Cavan won Ulster Junior 2 years on the trot so Cavan should of moved up into intermediate but hey ho no one thought of all of that.

In hurling there was a rule where if you won an Ulster, you were 'barred' from that competition for the next 5 years!!  Tough on smaller clubs etc.

Rule was relaxed, iirc, to maybe 2 years, a few years ago.  I stand to be corrected.

Funny if you look back at Kilkenny's club teams, who win their Junior and Intermediate etc., when they go up the following year, they are never far away.  Clara were a good example and there was another few teams who won or nearly won their championship, when they moved up the following year.

Maybe that means there's not much difference in their gradings at sen, int. and junior level.  Other counties seem to have a massive gap between them.

imtommygunn

Tyrone in the football were like that too where Trillick lost intermediate one year and won senior the next. I think it depends on the breadth in the county. In football and hurling in our county there is a big gap between the worst and the best in the championship. You wouldn't bet on very many teams winning the senior hurling but thankfully the number of potential winners in the senior  football is growing. You would say the same for all the championships in both codes.