Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: WhoDat on July 08, 2019, 12:53:41 PM
It isn't entirely Walsh's fault. The players have to take some responsibility, but there still seems to be this overriding opinion that the squad will suddenly come good with a change of management. I don't see it myself. Walsh didn't have them playing a pretty style but they lack some mental fortitude and often seem to get ahead of themselves in games.

100% correct, there is blame to be shared around here. I don't think that they will suddenly come good either if there is a change but KW's term has reached a natural end, the development I expected to see this year from Galway simply hasn't happened and it's in fact regressed.
The likes of Brolly talking about "an embarrassment of riches" in Galway just proves to me that spoofers like him don't actually watch that much of or know enough about the vast majority of inter county squads, it's a ludicrous statement. The obsession with comparing Corofin with the county team has to stop as well, there is no comparison with the standards at top club level and top inter county, light years apart. There was 4 Corofin lads on the starting 15 last Saturday, all of them were amongst the worst performers for Galway.

Farrandeelin

Would that be down to fatigue, the Corofin contingent not being their usual standards?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 08, 2019, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 08, 2019, 12:53:41 PM
It isn't entirely Walsh's fault. The players have to take some responsibility, but there still seems to be this overriding opinion that the squad will suddenly come good with a change of management. I don't see it myself. Walsh didn't have them playing a pretty style but they lack some mental fortitude and often seem to get ahead of themselves in games.
There was 4 Corofin lads on the starting 15 last Saturday, all of them were amongst the worst performers for Galway.

You could argue Power, Farragher and Silke were our 3 worst players. Power with his terrible howler. Silke completely out of sorts all Summer. And Farragher had a nightmare. Shortly after Mayo's 2nd goal, Cooke was clean through for a goal and Farragher totally undercooked the hand pass and landed it behind Cooke who had to check his run. Burke was a bit like Silke. Out of sorts all championship.

As poor as Galway played for large parts had one or two things been done more competently they would have been right in that game in the final few minutes.

seafoid

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 08, 2019, 01:32:48 PM
Would that be down to fatigue, the Corofin contingent not being their usual standards?
Galway remind me of Roscommon last year. McStay got to the end of the road with them and was very pessimistic about their prospects.
Cunningham came in with new ideas ...

Galway's workrate was nowhere near good enough. You can tell a lot by the spread of scorers

10. P Cooke (0-4), 9. M Daly (0-1); 12. J Heaney, 11. S Walsh (1-3, 1-2 frees and 45), 23. S Kelly; 17. E Brannigan (0-2), 14. M Farragher, 15. I Burke.

It's time for a change.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

It's a good question. They could do with a break no doubt about that.
Ian Burke showed last year the quality that he has but has been a shadow of that player this year.
I have always rated Liam Silke highly but have been really really surprised how rank bad he has been for Galway in the championship this year.
But he's not alone there. Shane Walsh was brilliant throughout last season and has been quiet overall this year.
Power is a quality keeper - he will recover from Sat night for sure.
Martin Farragher is an unknown quantity - Saturday was his first ever start in a Galway jersey at any level as far as I know (I don't think he played minor and was a sub for the 21s) - so the jury is out as to whether he has what it takes for senior county football.
All I can say is that he deserves his chance given the performances he has been putting in for Corofin.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2019, 05:52:13 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 01:28:24 AM
"disastrous year all round for Galway GAA"  maybe so if judgement is only made on the senior championships for both senior Hurling and football teams.  The senior footballers stayed up in Div 1 that has to be one plus? U17s have All Ireland quarter final and the U20s have a Connacht final to play this week.
By the standards of recent years it has been poor. The hurlers never got going. They have to
go back and find new young lads and rebuild the team.

The footballers have reached the end of something . The KW years were
a dead end . D1 is good but the constant underperformance is not . Fair play to Ros but Galway should be able to defend a lead .

A good few players may have to be shown the door.

Galway fans have high expectations. We have had a good decade and expect success
The average over the last decade is more than one All Ireland per year.

County team all Irelands this decade

U21 football 2011 2013
U21 hurling 2011
Minor hurling 2011, 2015, 2017, 2018
Senior hurling 2017

Senior Club all Irelands

Hurling 2011 2014
Football 2015 2018 2019

Galway hurlers seem to have gone back to the where they were before Anthony Cunnigham arrived e.g a bunch of talented players but flaky.

Roscommon were on the same boat as Galway footballers last year, lost a provincial final because they didn't hold onto a half time lead and never recovered from that defeat that summer but the rossies under new management have improved and it should be interesting to how Galway now do as i expect under new management in 2020.

I'm especially interested to see how Galway will fare under a new offensive game plan that many supporters are calling for. To play such a game you require very physical hard nosed defenders Mayo have that in Boyle,Keegan etc i'm not sure have Galway got those type of defenders.

seafoid

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 03:09:22 PM
"disastrous year all round for Galway GAA"  maybe so if judgement is only made on the senior championships for both senior Hurling and football teams.  The senior footballers stayed up in Div 1 that has to be one plus? U17s have All Ireland quarter final and the U20s have a Connacht final to play this week.
By the standards of recent years it has been poor. The hurlers never got going. They have to

a dead end . D1 is good but the constant underperformance is not . Fair play to Ros but Galway should be able to defend a lead .

Galway fans have high expectations. We have had a good decade and expect success

U21 football 2011 2013
U21 hurling 2011
Senior hurling 2017

Senior Club all Irelands

Hurling 2011 2014
Football 2015 2018 2019

Galway hurlers seem to have gone back to the where they were before Anthony Cunnigham arrived e.g a bunch of talented players but flaky.

Roscommon were on the same boat as Galway footballers last year, lost a provincial final because they didn't hold onto a half time lead and never recovered from that defeat that summer but the rossies under new management have improved and it should be interesting to how Galway now do as i expect under new management in 2020.

I'm especially interested to see how Galway will fare under a new offensive game plan that many supporters are calling for. To play such a game you require very physical hard nosed defenders Mayo have that in Boyle,Keegan etc i'm not sure have Galway got those type of defenders.

The hurlers were awful before AC arrived
https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-have-galway-become-a-soft-touch-26743621.html

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GalwayBayBoy

U21 football 2011 2013
U21 hurling 2011
Senior hurling 2017

Senior Club all Irelands

Hurling 2011 2014
Football 2015 2018 2019

I don't think they were that flaky this year to be honest. They just never really got going at any point. Never really played that well all year apart from parts of the Kilkenny game. Actually a fair while now since they were flaky. They've been super consistent for the best part of the last 6 or 7 years.

QuoteI'm especially interested to see how Galway will fare under a new offensive game plan that many supporters are calling for. To play such a game you require very physical hard nosed defenders Mayo have that in Boyle,Keegan etc i'm not sure have Galway got those type of defenders.

I think Donegal might be a better comparison. Donegal get players behind the ball but they are still conceding a fair few scores but when they turn over the ball at least they try and break with pace and with numbers. Galway turn over the ball and the ball goes sideways a few times first and sometimes even backwards.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: galwayman on July 08, 2019, 02:17:11 PM
Ian Burke showed last year the quality that he has but has been a shadow of that player this year.
I have always rated Liam Silke highly but have been really really surprised how rank bad he has been for Galway in the championship this year.
But he's not alone there. Shane Walsh was brilliant throughout last season and has been quiet overall this year.
Martin Farragher is an unknown quantity - Saturday was his first ever start in a Galway jersey at any level as far as I know (I don't think he played minor and was a sub for the 21s) - so the jury is out as to whether he has what it takes for senior county football.
All I can say is that he deserves his chance given the performances he has been putting in for Corofin.

Burke would certainly benefit from playing Comer at this level, allows him more space and they complement each other very well;I'd like to think it would suit him if Galway played in a more positive manner, more often than not he makes the right pass but this year and all to often this year he's found himself in possession either very isolated or surrounded by a mass defence.

Farragher will likely get another chance but he's not going to nail down a starting place if Comer is fit. Antaine O'Laoi has had a really good first season but don't know where his best position is.

An Fhairche Abu

To be a really top class player you have to do it consistently game in game out, every year for a sustained period at inter county level, forget the club performances. None of the Corofin contingent have done that this decade, Lundy had a fantastic 2014 in a Galway jersey but never got near those heights again. Ian Burke was electric last year, nowhere this year, Silke majestic for UCD and Corofin, hasn't done it in a Galway jersey to those heights ever. Has their exertions with the club had an effect in the summer? Lack of game time to integrate in the league? Plenty will blame Kevin Walsh and the system but I'm not sure about that.

And by top class I don't mean necessarily hitting the 9/10 performance every day but remaining influential throughout, taking the right options in general and never having a really bad day out any time on the pitch, the likes of TJ Reid, James McCarthy, Lee Keegan, Brian Fenton, Declan O'Sullivan. Over the last few years Keegan might have a quietish game but he'll never have an awful one.
I was at nearly every league and championship Galway match this year and from fuzzy recollection the most consistent player who was hovering in around the 7/10 mark most days was John Daly along with Tom Flynn up until the Roscommon game (when he was clearly not 100%), so the most consistent player for Galway this year that started on the pitch the last day was a kid and our best player in the backs on the day was Kyne who hadn't played since the FBD league, this is madness and not a good look for the players or management.
Shane Walsh was robbed of an All Star last year when he was by a mile Galway's best player but he's not backed that up this year, he's 26 now and should be the main man for Galway day in day out like PJ was in his heyday. Instead he is still missing frees that should be converted, he hit the post from a 21 yard free in front of the posts against Roscommon in the league, the very best generally don't do that.
Don't get me wrong we'd be far worse off without him and this is ultra harsh on good players but that's the bar for greatness, what Galway player would fulfil that at the moment?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 08, 2019, 04:32:36 PM
To be a really top class player you have to do it consistently game in game out, every year for a sustained period at inter county level, forget the club performances. None of the Corofin contingent have done that this decade, Lundy had a fantastic 2014 in a Galway jersey but never got near those heights again. Ian Burke was electric last year, nowhere this year, Silke majestic for UCD and Corofin, hasn't done it in a Galway jersey to those heights ever. Has their exertions with the club had an effect in the summer? Lack of game time to integrate in the league? Plenty will blame Kevin Walsh and the system but I'm not sure about that.

And by top class I don't mean necessarily hitting the 9/10 performance every day but remaining influential throughout, taking the right options in general and never having a really bad day out any time on the pitch, the likes of TJ Reid, James McCarthy, Lee Keegan, Brian Fenton, Declan O'Sullivan. Over the last few years Keegan might have a quietish game but he'll never have an awful one.
I was at nearly every league and championship Galway match this year and from fuzzy recollection the most consistent player who was hovering in around the 7/10 mark most days was John Daly along with Tom Flynn up until the Roscommon game (when he was clearly not 100%), so the most consistent player for Galway this year that started on the pitch the last day was a kid and our best player in the backs on the day was Kyne who hadn't played since the FBD league, this is madness and not a good look for the players or management.
Shane Walsh was robbed of an All Star last year when he was by a mile Galway's best player but he's not backed that up this year, he's 26 now and should be the main man for Galway day in day out like PJ was in his heyday. Instead he is still missing frees that should be converted, he hit the post from a 21 yard free in front of the posts against Roscommon in the league, the very best generally don't do that.
Don't get me wrong we'd be far worse off without him and this is ultra harsh on good players but that's the bar for greatness, what Galway player would fulfil that at the moment?

Out of interest if everyone was fit who would be your starting 15 next year?

twohands!!!

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2019, 03:39:45 PM

U21 football 2011 2013
U21 hurling 2011
Senior hurling 2017

Senior Club all Irelands

Hurling 2011 2014
Football 2015 2018 2019

I don't think they were that flaky this year to be honest. They just never really got going at any point. Never really played that well all year apart from parts of the Kilkenny game. Actually a fair while now since they were flaky. They've been super consistent for the best part of the last 6 or 7 years.

QuoteI'm especially interested to see how Galway will fare under a new offensive game plan that many supporters are calling for. To play such a game you require very physical hard nosed defenders Mayo have that in Boyle,Keegan etc i'm not sure have Galway got those type of defenders.

I think Donegal might be a better comparison. Donegal get players behind the ball but they are still conceding a fair few scores but when they turn over the ball at least they try and break with pace and with numbers. Galway turn over the ball and the ball goes sideways a few times first and sometimes even backwards.

Someone I was watching the game with said he felt that the Galway players looked massively risk averse (looked like lads who were fearful of having to justify any turnover or wide the statsman spotted against them) Also Galway seemed seriously unwilling to commit enough men forward when attacking even when chasing the game late on.  It's far more common to see a team's approach to stuff like this change when a new voice comes in as opposed to under a manger who has been in place for a few years.

macdanger2

Who actually played MF for Mayo with AOS? Was it Vaughan or Coen? It was hard to see on the TV

kerryforsam19

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 08, 2019, 04:38:48 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 08, 2019, 04:32:36 PM

Out of interest if everyone was fit who would be your starting 15 next year?

Power
Kerins
Kyne
Silke
Molloy
McDaid
J.Daly
Flynn
Duggan
Heaney
M.Daly
Mick Farragher
Walsh
Comer
Burke

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2019, 03:39:45 PM

U21 football 2011 2013
U21 hurling 2011
Senior hurling 2017

Senior Club all Irelands

Hurling 2011 2014
Football 2015 2018 2019

Galway hurlers able to beat Kilkenny and then knocked out of the championship by Dublin whom themselves got knocked out yesterday against the odds was far from super consistent this summer.

How far will Donegal get under this new system of play though? they are talked up as the number 2 team at the moment but will they reach the heights of what McGuinness did with them i'd wonder. Paddy McGrath, Neil McGee are still in their defence delivering the type of experience that Barrett,Higgins do for Mayo.  Most experienced defenders Galway have are Bradshaw,O'Donnell and many question why they keep getting starts.