Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 01:28:24 AM
"disastrous year all round for Galway GAA"  maybe so if judgement is only made on the senior championships for both senior Hurling and football teams.  The senior footballers stayed up in Div 1 that has to be one plus? U17s have All Ireland quarter final and the U20s have a Connacht final to play this week.

By Galway standards it's been a horrendous Summer. Last year the hurlers were in a AI final, footballers a semi final, both minor teams reached the AI final, U-21 hurlers won Leinster. People just get used to all teams getting to semi finals at least and it's not really possible every year.

Serious step down this year even though the minor teams are still alive. And the U-20 footballers.

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2019, 02:22:03 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2019, 01:08:00 AM
Quote from: whitey on July 08, 2019, 12:55:55 AM
Obviously they're biased, but the commentators on MidWest stated that Galway were starting aggro all over the pitch just before the throw in. Can anyone who was actually there confirm or deny this

Sure they also said McQuillan was giving all the decisions to Galway.  ;D

All the Mayo fans around me though he was riding us as well. Galway folk though he was doing them!
Now Cormac Reilly really did do us in 2014 in Limerick. No debate there.
Walsh on about agendas driven from the top, pathetic.

An Fhairche Abu

Obviously they're biased, but the commentators on MidWest stated that Galway were starting aggro all over the pitch just before the throw in. Can anyone who was actually there confirm or deny this
They are wrong, from my position in the stand the closest pairing to me for the throw in was O'Donnell and Jason Doherty, GoD extended the handshake which was accepted but returned along with a massive dig into the chest, which then led to the two of them hanging out of one another. If I was to say who started it then it was clearly Doherty but if it was left another second would GoD have started it up himself? Quite possibly. I'm sure it could be pointed out that Cillian McDaid was the instigator at midfield. It's nonsense for MidWest to say that Galway were starting aggro all over the pitch, there was very much two teams at it.
Local radio is not the place to get an unvarnished account of any match, to hear that they thought McQuillan was harsh on Mayo is mind blowing to me. In fairness Galway Bay is just as ridiculous in these respects as well.

"disastrous year all round for Galway GAA"  maybe so if judgement is only made on the senior championships for both senior Hurling and football teams.  The senior footballers stayed up in Div 1 that has to be one plus? U17s have All Ireland quarter final and the U20s have a Connacht final to play this week.
Senior is the only true barometer.

Maroon Manc

Great post by AFA as usual.

I've always supported Kevin Walsh whilst progress was been made and like AFA said the right time to judge him was at the end of the season; He has been very unlucky with injuries which didn't attract the same attention in the media like the Mayo injuries had, prior to the game I read several former players tipping Galway because of Mayo's injuries yet Galway started the game without 5 of their 6 midfielders on the panel and were also without Comer, Duggan & Bradshaw. In addition McDaid, Kyne (I thought he was excellent) & Brannigan have barely kicked a ball all year and all had injuries which kept them out for around 4 months whilst Cooke had an injury which kept him out for 3 months. Injuries have been a huge blight on this year but you've got to wonder is it a coincidence or is their an underlying issues somewhere, you'll always have a few injuries but not to the extent Galway have had.

Then there's the Paddy Tally affect, how much of a miss has he been? I'd know a fair bit about Tally and I think he's been a huge loss and looks like to me he had a big affect on what happened last year, he's been a huge success with every backroom team he's been involved with and another reason for me why Walsh has to go. Tally had such a positive effect on the likes of Sean Andy & Kerin but this year their form has both dipped and been over zealous in the tackle and given away far too many frees between them; They've lacked the discipline they had last year.

Galway have been abysmal since half time in Tyrone game, reports of poor performances in challenge games through to the London, Sligo, Roscommon & Mayo games where Galway were just appalling at times. Prior to the Roscommon game I was still felt Galway would give us a performance but after that I feared the worst like many on here after that and we were proved right.

There's just been far too many games in this last 4 years where Galway have fallen apart although I wouldn't be as harsh on others with the Monaghan game last year as Galway who'd already qualified for the semi played a team with everything riding on it. The players need to take responsbility for this too but it just feels like the negative style of play is having a knockon affect on the mentality of the players. As Sean Cavangagh pointed out last night there's a clear lack of cohesion to Galway's attack which is not good enough.

Its not all doom and gloom, Galway football is in its best place since 2001 (I know thats not too difficult). There's a very good panel of about 25 with very few of them nearing retirement and we've had some very brilliant underage teams in the last 5 years so there should be plenty of talent coming through

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2019, 09:41:52 AM

By Galway standards it's been a horrendous Summer. Last year the hurlers were in a AI final, footballers a semi final, both minor teams reached the AI final, U-21 hurlers won Leinster. People just get used to all teams getting to semi finals at least and it's not really possible every year.

Serious step down this year even though the minor teams are still alive. And the U-20 footballers.
Yeah but that's the problem with people in Galway. They just expect our teams to win all the time at every level and if they don't they're branded useless. Sport doesn't work like that of course.

Mayo4Sam

I was opposite McDonagh and he was getting dogs abuse.
Obviously there were two teams at it all day but I felt Galway did initiate a lot of it but of course I'd be biased. Some strange decisions all day. AOS went up for a kick out and got a blatant push from Heaney. Another ball on the sideline and I Think Vaughan just pushed the galway lad in the back and out over the line. Lots of incidents like that.

Anthony Larry was in front of me, doing his best not to shout for Mayo

I didn't see any of the comments, the galway people around me were as civil as could be for the whole game but I would agree it's gone toxic, I think it stems back to 2013 and the big win, they felt bullied and since then there's been a lot tougher edge to the games. I don't think Walsh's style of play suited either.

Galway will thank us in the long run, they actually had a free in our half just outside the 45 and kicked it back to their goalie, they were8 points down at the time
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

Any one who believes Walsh diversionary ,almost davy Fitz like, Tactics seriously need to watch the game again , Bad call were made on both side bif anything Galway got the benefit of the doubt. after watch ing the match on telly im still not convince that Barret foued for the penalty. and while have in 3 players sent to the line might look bad they were desperation last min stuff that thankfully no mayo player responded to , last thing we need for killarney is a few suspensions .
BTW did any one see what Mcdonagh was booked for just at half time ?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2019, 11:29:02 AM
Any one who believes Walsh diversionary ,almost davy Fitz like, Tactics seriously need to watch the game again , Bad call were made on both side bif anything Galway got the benefit of the doubt. after watch ing the match on telly im still not convince that Barret foued for the penalty. and while have in 3 players sent to the line might look bad they were desperation last min stuff that thankfully no mayo player responded to , last thing we need for killarney is a few suspensions .
BTW did any one see what Mcdonagh was booked for just at half time ?

Bit of grappling, the usual two yellows were dished out
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 08, 2019, 11:10:33 AM
Galway will thank us in the long run, they actually had a free in our half just outside the 45 and kicked it back to their goalie, they were8 points down at the time

To be honest I wouldn't even think it's absolutely certain that Walsh will step down. He may put the bad year down to just having a bad run of persistent injuries that never really cleared up in time. Would not be surprised if he hangs on even though he's been railing against "online trolls" on social media all year.

After 5 years though I think it should be a natural end at this point. There is no structure to the Galway play. Especially in attack where it's basically left to each individual to do something on his own for us to construct scores. They look poorly coached. Even in defence this year with Tally gone.

The plus side is it's a young squad and there have been some very good underage sides in recent years so more coming up underneath them. Probably a nice project for someone.

rosnarun

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 08, 2019, 12:06:53 PM
Obviously they’re biased, but the commentators on MidWest stated that Galway were starting aggro all over the pitch just before the throw in. Can anyone who was actually there confirm or deny this

To be honest I wouldn't even think it's absolutely certain that Walsh will step down. He may put the bad year down to just having a bad run of persistent injuries that never really cleared up in time. Would not be surprised if he hangs on even though he's been railing against "online trolls" on social media all year.

After 5 years though I think it should be a natural end at this point. There is no structure to the Galway play. Especially in attack where it's basically left to each individual to do something on his own for us to construct scores. They look poorly coached. Even in defence this year with Tally gone.

The plus side is it's a young squad and there have been some very good underage sides in recent years so more coming up underneath them. Probably a nice project for someone.

Barry cullniane  was on the mayo new podcast saying Walsh had earned the right to decide wheter to stay or go himself he has done such a wonderful job with galway , like he had won a scatter of All Ireland , would many people in galway hold that view or are they just buddies
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2019, 12:14:18 PM

Barry cullniane  was on the mayo new podcast saying Walsh had earned the right to decide wheter to stay or go himself he has done such a wonderful job with galway , like he had won a scatter of All Ireland , would many people in galway hold that view or are they just buddies
I think the over-riding mood is for change.  Kevin had done a pretty decent job over the past 5 years, well up to last year at any rate, but its now time for a fresh voice in the dressing room.  He was severely hampered by injuries right through this season but what transpired both on the pitch and sideline in the second half v Roscommon was just not acceptable.  His goose was cooked after that defeat regardless of last Sat evening. 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: rosnarun on July 08, 2019, 12:14:18 PM

I think most people definitely feel it's time for a change but Walsh was a tremendous player for Galway so I think a lot of people are reluctant to stick the boot in too much. And to be honest I don't think you want to see it get nasty. I heard reports that he copped a bit of abuse already at the game the last day so I think a mutual parting of ways would be best for all concerned.

WhoDat

It isn't entirely Walsh's fault. The players have to take some responsibility, but there still seems to be this overriding opinion that the squad will suddenly come good with a change of management. I don't see it myself. Walsh didn't have them playing a pretty style but they lack some mental fortitude and often seem to get ahead of themselves in games.

whitey

Would it be accurate to say that Galway u set Walsh we're playing not to loose instead of playing to win

Maroon Manc

I haven't watched the game back again, naturally you miss plenty at the match but like many thought McQuillan was poor.

From the highlights its very clear the pen was nailed on and was surprised nobody has mentioned that Coen took about 10 steps in the build up to the 1st goal.