26 County General Election 2020

Started by Snapchap, January 09, 2020, 06:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be makeup of the next government?

FF/SD/Lab/Green
FG/SD/Lab/Green
FG/FF
FF/Green
FG/Independents
FG/Independents
FG/Green
FF/SF
FF/Green/Independents
FF Minority
FG Minority
FG/SF
FF/Lab/Green
FF/Lab
FF/Lab/Green/Independents

Snapchap

Sounds like it will be imminent. Which I find surprising as I'd have thought Leo would want to afford himself as long a period as possible between the Black and Tans/RIC controversy and having to face the electorate.

Some burning questions though. Will this controversy affect their chances? Will their record on health and homelessness come back to bite them? Will the equally objectionable partitionist Micheal Martin be the first FF leader to never become Taoiseach? Will SF's slide continue or is their recent decent showing in the by-elections a sign of an up turn in fortunes?

Thoughts?

(Poll above - lets see how smart we are with our predictions)

Rossfan

Greens probably get 10 seats.
FF will find it difficult to complain about the Government's record as they backed/facilitated them all the way
FF 55
FG 40
Shinners 16
Labiur 11
Greens 10
Loonielefties7
Independents of all sorts, Healy Raes, Denisheen Naughten etcetc 29
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on January 09, 2020, 07:23:15 PM
Greens probably get 10 seats.
FF will find it difficult to complain about the Government's record as they backed/facilitated them all the way
FF 55
FG 40
Shinners 16
Labiur 11
Greens 10
Loonielefties7
Independents of all sorts, Healy Raes, Denisheen Naughten etcetc 29
FF hard to know. It's only a decade since the bailout
Independents and Labour could do well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

I threw FF in big for the craic but them and FG will likely get around 90 between them.
How those 90 split will decide who leads the next Government which could be a right hotch potch again.

magpie seanie

Clearly the Greens should do well, based on their Euro elections showing. Can see FF gaining a few seats and FG losing a few. Not sure how we'd see a big improvement for Labour. Social Democrats will be hampered by their small organisation - if they could get enough candidates and structures I think they could eat Labour up. To me SF are going to struggle to rise above their current seat level. Even though I wouldn't blame them for it, the NI Assembly stand off hasn't done them any favours. PbP, solidarity etc will do well in their working class strongholds but to because really serious players they need to develop their message to attract left leaning middle class voters.

I'm hoping for a government with a strong left and Green agenda. We cannot continue the mistakes of the past - it's time for us to get real about the challenges our society at home and around the world face.

shark

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 10, 2020, 09:24:44 AM
Clearly the Greens should do well, based on their Euro elections showing. Can see FF gaining a few seats and FG losing a few. Not sure how we'd see a big improvement for Labour. Social Democrats will be hampered by their small organisation - if they could get enough candidates and structures I think they could eat Labour up. To me SF are going to struggle to rise above their current seat level. Even though I wouldn't blame them for it, the NI Assembly stand off hasn't done them any favours. PbP, solidarity etc will do well in their working class strongholds but to because really serious players they need to develop their message to attract left leaning middle class voters.

I'm hoping for a government with a strong left and Green agenda. We cannot continue the mistakes of the past - it's time for us to get real about the challenges our society at home and around the world face.

Can't see an improvement for Labour either. They will be down one seat immediately with Willy Penrose retiring, and no hope of Alan Mangan (of Westmeath 2004 Leinster winning team) holding that seat.

magpie seanie

Quote from: shark on January 10, 2020, 09:56:55 AM

Can't see an improvement for Labour either. They will be down one seat immediately with Willy Penrose retiring, and no hope of Alan Mangan (of Westmeath 2004 Leinster winning team) holding that seat.

Labour need new, young leadership that can put them back to being what a proper Labour Party is. Pushing a social democratic agenda. Looking out for everyone, not just big business.

seafoid

The electorate has been very volatile since the crash.
They dumped FF.  They may give FG a kick up the arse- it's all very uncertain.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

The choices aren't exactly great..
Flanagan, Madigan, Regina etc
Willie O'Dea, Barry Cowan.....
Howlin
Maryloo
Sourpussed loonylefties
Donnelly who's been through a few Parties and is always right about everything
Healy Raes, Mattie McGrath, Grealish...
Greens.
FF will probably come up with a super duper housing plan to try and grab the younger voters (and look after builders of course).

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 10, 2020, 10:49:15 AM

Labour need new, young leadership that can put them back to being what a proper Labour Party is. Pushing a social democratic agenda. Looking out for everyone, not just big business.

Those nasty big businesses, creating all those jobs.

Latest from IDA this week:

Wednesday, January 8th 2020 – Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Heather Humphreys and IDA Ireland, the Irish Government agency responsible for attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) to Ireland, today announced that employment levels in its client companies have now reached 245,096 -  the highest ever number employed in the multinational sector, exceeding targets set by Government contained in IDA Ireland's Strategy – Winning: Foreign Direct Investment 2015-2019. The results announced today show another strong performance in 2019, which saw 250 investments made with 21,844 jobs created in FDI companies in the final year of IDA Ireland's current strategy.

Rossfan

What percentage in the BMW I wonder?

Lar Naparka

If the election was held at the present time, I can't see anything other than a hung Dáil, much the same as we have now.
The election is Fianna Fail's to win but there is no sign that they will attract enough votes to become the largest party in the new Dail, never mind winning an overall majority.Martin just doesn't have the mass appeal needed to demolish Varadker in a head-to-head and in this media-centred age, their TV confrontations will have more influence on proceedings than any amount of spoof about policy differences.  Manifestoes  won't matter a whole lot as both major parties break their election assurances once they get into power.
Martin is a hangover from the days of Bertie and Brian Cowan and, until he and Willie O'Dea and anybody else who held ministerial office back then has stepped down, Fianna Fail won't have the mass appeal needed to return to government. The electorate seems to have long memories in this regard.
At least, that's what I find when talking to those around me and that's my personal feeling also.
Sinn Fein didn't do well at the European election; I think it's fair to say Mary Lou isn't performing well since she replaced Gerry Adams. She has gone backwards in the popularity stakes. A loss of only 3 or 4 would be a good result for the Shinners.
The Greens stand to pick up at the very least five seats- with the complexity of our PR system, it's difficult to predict the outcome in most constituencies with any confidence. The last seat , or maybe two, in a large number of them will be decided by a handful of votes. But the Greta Thunberg factor and the greater awareness of environmental issues could see the Greens coming back with double figures.
Labour will be lucky to hold what they have. Brendan Howlin hasn't been a success as a party leader and all of their main spokespersons are largely anonymous. We are going to wind up with a proliferation of mini parties and loony lefties, much the same as at present.
I'll go with:
FF 58
FG 48
Shinners 16
Labour 12
Greens 15
The Rest 19
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hound on January 10, 2020, 01:48:03 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 10, 2020, 10:49:15 AM

Those nasty big businesses, creating all those jobs.

Latest from IDA this week:

Wednesday, January 8th 2020 – Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation, Heather Humphreys and IDA Ireland, the Irish Government agency responsible for attracting foreign direct investment (FDI) to Ireland, today announced that employment levels in its client companies have now reached 245,096 -  the highest ever number employed in the multinational sector, exceeding targets set by Government contained in IDA Ireland's Strategy – Winning: Foreign Direct Investment 2015-2019. The results announced today show another strong performance in 2019, which saw 250 investments made with 21,844 jobs created in FDI companies in the final year of IDA Ireland's current strategy.

And when the EU come for our Corporation Tax rate/regime, which they will, then what? Those companies are not here out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't pay a fair share of tax and in a country where we can't run a health service, can't house people, can't provide clean water or fix busted pipes, can't provide a proper transport system I'd say it's high time we started looking at another, more sustainable way of developing our country. How many of those jobs will be there in 10-20-30 years time? How are we going to cope with income/wealth distribution when there are very few jobs that aren't done by machines? What is our approach to the climate emergency apart from taxing carbon and trying to not upset farmers?

Foreign Direct Investment has played an important role in Ireland's development but the time to plan for alternatives is long overdue. We've no plan. We lurch from crisis to crisis - some day we'll hit one we can't overcome by screwing working people.

five points

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 10, 2020, 04:47:41 PM
And when the EU come for our Corporation Tax rate/regime, which they will, then what? Those companies are not here out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't pay a fair share of tax and in a country where we can't run a health service, can't house people, can't provide clean water or fix busted pipes, can't provide a proper transport system I'd say it's high time we started looking at another, more sustainable way of developing our country. How many of those jobs will be there in 10-20-30 years time? How are we going to cope with income/wealth distribution when there are very few jobs that aren't done by machines? What is our approach to the climate emergency apart from taxing carbon and trying to not upset farmers?

Foreign Direct Investment has played an important role in Ireland's development but the time to plan for alternatives is long overdue. We've no plan. We lurch from crisis to crisis - some day we'll hit one we can't overcome by screwing working people.

The only alternative to dependence on the multinationals is to rely on SMEs, which are currently being smothered by high tax rates and unsustainable regulation. If the government response is to sacrifice rural businesses including agriculture and food production on the altar of a bogus 'climate emergency', we'll be more reliant on the multinationals than ever before. But maybe that's their plan.