The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Might take a week, might take a fortnight. Either way, it's not kept in the drinks cabinet for guests or special occasions.

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on December 09, 2014, 04:30:15 PM
Might take a week, might take a fortnight. Either way, it's not kept in the drinks cabinet for guests or special occasions.

Stay away from the stuff myself. We have a bottle opened about 5 years ago that is still over half full.
MWWSI 2017

Jell 0 Biafra

A week at the outside in my house.  But it's my go-to tipple--wouldn't really drink much beer in the house.

Canalman

Was in an offlicense in America some years ago and only the Jameson whiskey bottles had the security cap on them. Pricier spirits etc didn't have them.
Seems to be very popular over there which is to say the least a good thing.

Puckoon

Jameson is a huge market name in America for Irish Whiskey. My local just raised the prices of Jameson due to their supplier raising it. This meant that in turn they raised the prices on all the rest, Paddy, Powers, Bushmills - as they didn't want to sell more of any of those than Jameson.

Couple hefty ice cubes and 3 or 4 fingers of Bushmills is my go-to on the Whiskey. Mostly from September through April. Don't tend to drink much of it in the summer. And if I have to answer one more time if I'm a protestant because I drink Bushmills, I might just move home!

TabClear

I haven't drank whiskey since my student days. however, I won a bottle of Macllan 10 y.o at the weekend and am debating whether to give it to the oul boy as a Christmas present or sample it myself.

. I've been told its a decent bottle but it might be wasted on a novice like me.

CD

Quote from: Puckoon on December 09, 2014, 07:01:48 PM
Jameson is a huge market name in America for Irish Whiskey. My local just raised the prices of Jameson due to their supplier raising it. This meant that in turn they raised the prices on all the rest, Paddy, Powers, Bushmills - as they didn't want to sell more of any of those than Jameson.

Couple hefty ice cubes and 3 or 4 fingers of Bushmills is my go-to on the Whiskey. Mostly from September through April. Don't tend to drink much of it in the summer. And if I have to answer one more time if I'm a protestant because I drink Bushmills, I might just move home!
Interesting that everyone takes it differently. For me, it has to be poured into a hot class. Ice and water would destroy it. I used to work in pubs years ago and the old lads would have it with a dribble of room temp water and a bottle of stout of the shelf.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

aontroim abu

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2014, 03:51:49 PM
Quote from: aontroim abu on December 09, 2014, 03:28:49 PM
was thinking of getting her dad a bottle for Christmas - best place in Belfast anyone??
The vineyard on the ormeau road has a decent selection

thanks, i'll give there a lash

deiseach

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 09, 2014, 05:44:04 PM

A week at the outside in my house.  But it's my go-to tipple--wouldn't really drink much beer in the house.

Yeah, whiskey has replaced beer as the relax-in-front-of-the-telly poison in our house. It's much more cost effective. Even one beer a night would come to far more than a bottle of whiskey over the space of a week. That's why buying the expensive stuff feels, well, expensive.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: deiseach on December 10, 2014, 11:26:31 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 09, 2014, 05:44:04 PM

Yeah, whiskey has replaced beer as the relax-in-front-of-the-telly poison in our house. It's much more cost effective. Even one beer a night would come to far more than a bottle of whiskey over the space of a week. That's why buying the expensive stuff feels, well, expensive.
You should try tea. Much more cost effective.

deiseach

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2014, 01:28:38 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 10, 2014, 11:26:31 AM
You should try tea. Much more cost effective.

That's low dose poison.

heganboy

Quote from: CD on December 09, 2014, 08:14:04 PM

Interesting that everyone takes it differently. For me, it has to be poured into a hot class. Ice and water would destroy it. I used to work in pubs years ago and the old lads would have it with a dribble of room temp water and a bottle of stout of the shelf.

Everyone has their own way of drinking the stuff, the recommended route is what the auld fellas do, in a tumbler, add the whiskey, and then add about the same amount of room temperature water, give it a minute and proceed to consume.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Santino

Tony Baloney

I feel like I'm missing something by not liking it. What is a decent beginners whiskey?

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
I feel like I'm missing something by not liking it. What is a decent beginners whiskey?

Yes.

Beer.

Mmmmmmmm....

MWWSI 2017