All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2017, 02:16:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2017, 01:40:37 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2017, 01:31:23 AM
Quote from: giveballaghback on August 24, 2017, 09:05:53 PM
Take out the free taking and thats the true scoring stat, Kerry look out ye are beaten already, Mayo supporters offering to exchange hurling final tickets for football final tickets with Galway supporters ::)
It's always good to plan ahead

You know the way you can for the FBD in January

Big talk from a county scared shitless of a pensioner.

You mean the man that has more all stars than Roscommon have won in over a quarter of a century?

Piss off back to the U-17 thread

Someone's drowning their sorrows a little early this year..

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2017, 02:23:24 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2017, 02:16:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2017, 01:40:37 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 25, 2017, 01:31:23 AM
Take out the free taking and thats the true scoring stat, Kerry look out ye are beaten already, Mayo supporters offering to exchange hurling final tickets for football final tickets with Galway supporters ::)
It's always good to plan ahead

You know the way you can for the FBD in January

Big talk from a county scared shitless of a pensioner.

You mean the man that has more all stars than Roscommon have won in over a quarter of a century?

Piss off back to the U-17 thread

Someone's drowning their sorrows a little early this year..

He's like some sort of non giving up Roscommon guy...

rosnarun

Frees count , most frees scored  are caused by a foul when the opposition are in a scoreable position sometimes in with a goal chance .
the vast majority of the time the top scorer is the free taker
It only when your free taker is  off form you realize his  Value
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on August 25, 2017, 10:25:34 AM
Frees count , most frees scored  are caused by a foul when the opposition are in a scoreable position sometimes in with a goal chance .

This only applies if you don't have multiple component free takers. Otherwise the value of any single free taker is vastly reduced.

Most teams have a left-sided free-taker, right-sided free-taker, and a long range free-taker. COC's stats are heavily inflated by being all three most days for Mayo.

It's surprising Mayo haven't produced any free takers of note from long range in particular - COC isn't much of a 45 taker so it wouldn't take Bryan Sheehan to unseat him.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 25, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
Best of luck to Mayowestros on Sunday (genuinely!).

Thanks - but would mean more for tomorrow ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Syferus

bucko

I suppose it'll come down to the old cliche who improves the most from last Sunday will win it. Question is who has more to improve on? I reckon if we can get some better return from our own kickouts and pressure Kerry's a bit more we'll be a good way there. That alone would impact Donaghy's influence just by depriving possession. We lost over 50% of our own kickouts in the first half while Kerry got a 75% plus return on theirs. Also if we if we can cut out the stupid costly errors/turnovers we'll be in a good position, 2-1 of Kerry's scores originated from poor passes on our behalf. These are things well within managements and players' control, I'd be hoping for an improvement on both. The other question is can Kerry shore up their defence from the last day without taking away from their resources further out the field. Given that defence seems to have been a problem all season for Kerry and that Fitzmaurice seems to have done little about it so far it's looking like a big problem to sort out in a week. Expecting another tight one tomorrow.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on August 25, 2017, 01:54:52 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 25, 2017, 01:45:53 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 25, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
Best of luck to Mayowestros on Sunday (genuinely!).

Thanks - but would mean more for tomorrow ;)

Take what you're given.
OK best of luck whenever th'oul game is on.
Hard to keep up with all them adult game things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Can't remember what last years stats were but COC's free taking isn't what it used to be. Think the stat I saw earlier was he's 33% from over 35m, i'd be very confident that he was a lot better than that 2 years ago.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 25, 2017, 05:47:18 PM

Can't remember what last years stats were but COC's free taking isn't what it used to be. Think the stat I saw earlier was he's 33% from over 35m, i'd be very confident that he was a lot better than that 2 years ago.
Strangely he's better from play and worse on frees this year. Open to correction i think Andy Moran in less game time has scored more from play this summer than COC.

yellowcard

Is there anyone else playing for Kerry apart from Donaghy. This Mayo obsession with Donaghy is getting tiresome and must be music to kerry's ears

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on August 25, 2017, 06:39:52 PM
Is there anyone else playing for Kerry apart from Donaghy. This Mayo obsession with Donaghy is getting tiresome and must be music to kerry's ears
I think it's the media's obsession with how Mayo deal with Kerry - to be fair!

The media love writing/talking about Mayo, definitely more than any other team in either code. Though mostly to take the mick out of them it seems! If they lose to Kerry, it'll all be about what Mayo did wrong. But if they beat Kerry, they will praise them to high heaven and build them up to the sky.

It reminds me a lot of Pillar's Dubs, who were probably also the most entertaining team of their time. And also, like the current Mayo team, always seem to (inadvertently perhaps) do things that brings even more media attention to them!

Really looking forward to the game. Very hard to call, two very evenly matched strong teams. I'm edging towards Mayo, but if Kerry win it'll be Geaney man of the match.

Syferus

Quote from: Hound on August 25, 2017, 07:29:26 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 25, 2017, 06:39:52 PM
I think it's the media's obsession with how Mayo deal with Kerry - to be fair!

The media love writing/talking about Mayo, definitely more than any other team in either code. Though mostly to take the mick out of them it seems! If they lose to Kerry, it'll all be about what Mayo did wrong. But if they beat Kerry, they will praise them to high heaven and build them up to the sky.

It reminds me a lot of Pillar's Dubs, who were probably also the most entertaining team of their time. And also, like the current Mayo team, always seem to (inadvertently perhaps) do things that brings even more media attention to them!

Really looking forward to the game. Very hard to call, two very evenly matched strong teams. I'm edging towards Mayo, but if Kerry win it'll be Geaney man of the match.

If it wasn't Mayo's obsession too Rochford wouldn't have overthought it and put AOS at FB..

Maroon Manc

Fairly sure the stat was Kerry scored 0-3 from their own short kick out whilst Mayo scored 1-6 from their own whilst neither side dominated their own kickout when they went long.

Kerry have a greater scope for improvement when looking at some of the stats obviously this doesn't mean they necessarily will. Mayo made so many more tackles then Kerry and made my turnovers than them too. I think Kerry will play the same way tactically but Fitzmaurice will make changes in that full back line.