All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Looking at the extended weather forecast and it's looking like a pretty dry weekend overall. Dry sod and plenty of grip equals high ball raining in on top of the Mayo FB line ;)

Ballaghman

Quote from: Taylor on August 23, 2017, 04:29:45 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 23, 2017, 03:23:21 PM
Quote from: Taylor on August 23, 2017, 02:56:24 PM

If AOS had not ben marking Star on Sunday they would be out IMHO
Can you call way off your man as marking? too much thought was put into The Star by the too many cooks on the Mayo sideline. In Last years drawn AI final Mayos defence held the Dublin forward line to 0-2 from play any 6 Dublin forwards can cause more damage than one mid 30 year old forward.

AOS not "marking"  Donaghy on Saturday will prove even the Mayo management will know they got that gamble/experiment wrong last Sunday.

How many long high diagonal balls do Dublin play in (like they did when OGara was there).

How many long high diagonal balls did Kerry play in each game up until Sunday? One can only assume it was because AOS was there that they stopped this tactic
Of course that was the reason Taylor. People are saying it was because of the weather? Laughable. Kerry pump high ball into Donaghy no matter the weather. Remember 2014 drawn game and the conditions weren't exactly great that day.
I don't totally agree with AOS being left FB the next day but I can absolutely see the merit in it. He put Kerry off their aerial bombardment game. Them being the good team they are and Donaghy being the good player he is meant they adapted. Fair play to them you'd expect that. If Rochford sticks to his guns the next day two things have to happen. 1) AOS has to get tighter which he did in the 2nd half but must be better again. If Kerry play a sweeper then we'll have one too and that will help further 2)AOS needs to push forward and drive at Kerry and get Donaghy on the back foot, at least a few gallops a half and tire and test Donaghy that way. Donaghy wouldn't be able to handle him going in that direction

Mayo4Sam14

If you had a sweeper that you could trust to watch donaghy to relative degree and you let o'shea wander up to full forward a few times whod pick him up?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

macdanger2

Was talking to a kerryman earlier in the week who thought that although AOS did poorly in FB, the move threw the Kerry backs somewhat as Griffin had been earmarked for AOS

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 23, 2017, 05:35:29 PM
Was talking to a kerryman earlier in the week who thought that although AOS did poorly in FB, the move threw the Kerry backs somewhat as Griffin had been earmarked for AOS

Lining David Clarke at FF will seriously mess with their heads so.

Actually, if Rochford played Clarke at FB and Hennelly in goal it would have made more sense than what he actually did.

rrhf

Aidan o se didn't go near donaghy. Wasn't interested and didn't want to. Brolly talking through his hoop about a lifetime achievement award needed to play full back. Would he have went one on one if he was in full forward either. If there was a hedge in croke park he'd have jumped over it. Always a hider on the big day. Top 5 sub.

cornetto

Barry Moran will be the shock inclusion to mark, donaghey.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: cornetto on August 23, 2017, 08:59:48 PM

Hes played no football all year
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

AOS should play around the middle and drift back in to support the FB line when necessary.
Either that or stick him in the FF line.
He slows the play down massively when he's around the HF line as he insists on taking the ball into contact and he doesn't have the leg speed to 'break the line'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 23, 2017, 09:05:05 PM
Quote from: cornetto on August 23, 2017, 08:59:48 PM

Hes played no football all year

Played a small bit for Mitchels. Still looks the height of madness to carry him on the panel and drop Jason Gibbons. Rochford has a lot of questions that will be need to be answered in the post-season.

macdanger2

ballinaman

Quote from: rrhf on August 23, 2017, 08:19:06 PM
Aidan o se didn't go near donaghy. Wasn't interested and didn't want to. Brolly talking through his hoop about a lifetime achievement award needed to play full back. Would he have went one on one if he was in full forward either. If there was a hedge in croke park he'd have jumped over it. Always a hider on the big day. Top 5 sub.
Know the one too many, drink sensibly

Lar Naparka

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 23, 2017, 09:26:56 PM
Kirby would be a better option than AOS imo
I take it you are just mickey taking here. Kirby is a hefty lump of a garsĂșn alright but he's no more a match for Donaghy than I am!
I mean he hasn't come anywhere near staking a place on the team yet and he's around a while now. Taking him off the bench and putting him up against the cagiest, meanest and hardest unit on the pitch would be most unwise, to put it mildly!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 23, 2017, 11:05:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 23, 2017, 09:26:56 PM
Kirby would be a better option than AOS imo
I take it you are just mickey taking here. Kirby is a hefty lump of a garsĂșn alright but he's no more a match for Donaghy than I am!
I mean he hasn't come anywhere near staking a place on the team yet and he's around a while now. Taking him off the bench and putting him up against the cagiest, meanest and hardest unit on the pitch would be most unwise, to put it mildly!

I don't think it's likely to happen but I think he wouldn't fare any worse than AOS. And you'd have the benefit of playing AOS out the field

maigheo

Surprised nobody has mentioned Brehonys article in the Sindo today where he theorizes that maybe the players got together and decided that A.O.S playing FB gave them the best chance to win.Of course he mentioned the H and C saga again.Cannot believe I made the mistake of reading him but it will not happen again.