Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keane

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2017, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2017, 08:46:48 AM
Quote from: Keane on August 21, 2017, 11:04:49 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2017, 10:58:01 PM
He did neither while in the small rectangle

We'll have to agree to differ there I suppose.

Sure it was Cillian who played the ball back across the second time for Griffin to handle on the ground.

PS, is that rule still active, that if you are lying on the ground you can play the ball away from yourself, even if you play it on the ground? It was there as a safety thing I think.

AZ look at the video, he was outside when he played it back across

It's a fairly pedantic point but there should have been two penalties and not the free out that WUM
Is claiming

You're back to claiming there was a foot block now are you?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2017, 06:02:51 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on August 21, 2017, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:32:29 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on August 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
Whats the most amount of matches a team has played in a single seaaon? If Mayo win the replay, after the final (barring any further replays) will have played 10 matches, two of which have gone to extra time

Tyrone played 10 championships matched in 05.
Meath played 10 championship games in 1991 also.

Was that the year they had all the replays against dublin?

Yes 4 games with Dublin,two games with Wicklow, and one game against Offaly,Laois,Roscommon and Down.  It has been said the break they had for All Ireland final killed their momentum.

It's also been said that Down killed it.

Colm O'Rourke getting cholera killed it.
By the way, just checking that people know the origin of the 'lions led by donkeys' phrase and understand that Sweeney didn't randomly decide to call the Mayo management 'donkeys'.
I always think that phrase is more of a compliment to the lions than a criticism of the donkeys.
Anyway, what's wrong with being a donkey?
Yeah, I know where he got that from and I'm not too impressed with what he had to say. For starters he could have indicated that he was referencing another quote and not (I hope) saying that Rochford is a complete jackass. After all, there are many who weren't Blackadder fans or know wtf Sweeney was on about.
With the benefit of hindsight, little is impossible and it's easy to say that Rochford cost Mayo victory by planting O'Shea between Donaghy and the goalmouth and leaving him there throughout the game.
But Sweeney has a short memory if he forgot what Donaghy did to Mayo's chances in Limerick in the '14 replay.  Cormac Reilly wasn't the sole cause of Mayo's defeat that day as Donaghy roasted Ger Cafferkey as he outfielded him time after time as high balls came in.
It was obvious that Fitzmaurice was going to use the same plan again if he could and Kerry did indeed lob a few in on top of Donaghy and AOS until he found it wasn't going to work and decided to use plan B instead.
It's easy to say that putting O'Shea at midfield or further out field somewhere would benefit Mayo but in that case Kerry would have resorted to plan A  again. It was a case of damned if he did and double damned if he didn't as far as Rochford was concerned.
Things might have been different and we'd be hailing Rochford as a tactical genius if only Keegan had been fit. Who knows?
BTW, Joe Brolly reckoned the best way for Mayo to set up for the replay was to move Aido to midfield and drop Seamie as he's too ponderous. That would allow Paddy Durcan in to cornerback and put Harrison on Donaghy. I agree with him on this one.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tiempo

Quote from: bucko on August 22, 2017, 10:46:37 AM

PS, is that rule still active, that if you are lying on the ground you can play the ball away from yourself, even if you play it on the ground? It was there as a safety thing I think.

Only if the player playing the ball was originally in possession.

1.2 (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.
[/quote]

Canavan 95 v Dublin?

AZOffaly

Sure it was Cillian who played the ball back across the second time for Griffin to handle on the ground.

It's a fairly pedantic point but there should have been two penalties and not the free out that WUM
Is claiming

Outside the square? Hmmm.

Keane

I think most people will be able to admit that it's fairly cut and dry. 'Two penalties'! Mother of god  ::)

Halfquarter

Quote from: Keane on August 22, 2017, 12:22:18 PM
I think most people will be able to admit that it's fairly cut and dry. 'Two penalties'! Mother of god  ::)
You'd be a good man to ask , what do the Narries handle Donaghy when they are playing the Stacks.
He doesn't seem to do a lot of damage ?

Keane

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 22, 2017, 01:30:13 PM
You'd be a good man to ask , what do the Narries handle Donaghy when they are playing the Stacks.

Ah he does plenty a lot of the time. He's in and out from midfield with Stacks a lot which curtails him but at that level when he's fired up it's just damage limitation.

Our full back line wouldn't be the biggest so it's generally just a case of trying to get as many bodies around him as you can (and hoping the weather is bad).

Halfquarter

Quote from: Keane on August 22, 2017, 01:47:53 PM

Ah he does plenty a lot of the time. He's in and out from midfield with Stacks a lot which curtails him but at that level when he's fired up it's just damage limitation.

Our full back line wouldn't be the biggest so it's generally just a case of trying to get as many bodies around him as you can (and hoping the weather is bad).
Yeah, I think you know you are doing well when you see him drifting out the field .
He looks slow in the middle of the field.

Syferus

Quote from: Halfquarter on August 22, 2017, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: Keane on August 22, 2017, 01:47:53 PM

Yeah, I think you know you are doing well when you see him drifting out the field .
He looks slow in the middle of the field.

Not really. He started doing it of his own accord after 20 hellish minutes against Galway.

Treating Donaghy as something special rather than a limited footballer is where most teams make their first error with regards marking him.

blast05

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2017, 12:12:08 PM

Is claiming

Outside the square? Hmmm.

Clearly stopped the video a fraction too soon there AZ .... he hadn't made contact with the ball in your one!!

AZOffaly

Keane

Mayo4Sam14

Lads its done the ref is going to go back and give a free out or a penalty at this stage 😂
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 22, 2017, 02:16:39 PM
Lads its done the ref is going to go back and give a free out or a penalty at this stage 😂

True for you :)

blast05

Quote from: Keane on August 22, 2017, 02:15:33 PM
This is seriously f**king absurd.

Not at all .... its great crack ;D
His foot has clearly left the area.