All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Keane on August 21, 2017, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 21, 2017, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 21, 2017, 04:41:29 PM
Quote from: highorlow on August 21, 2017, 04:39:11 PM
QuoteYou didn't happen to count how many steps Colm Boyle took before his goal by any chance?

When did was the over carrying rule re-introduced? It doesn't count for goal chances. That one balanced up the penalty we weren't awarded for the ground touch in the square picked up by Dessie Dolan in real time.

That was a square ball first. Cillian O'Connor followed the ball in, and then when Andy Moran kicked at it, Cillian was in the square.
Square ball? In open play? Ah lads get with the programme!

Not sure if you're serious but the rule is you can't be in the square until after the ball is kicked. You can see from the below that O'Connor is well inside the square when Andy takes his shot, Cillian draws on it after and Griffin paws it away on the ground.

There is an exception to the rule

(i) If an attacking player legally enters the small rectangle, and the ball is played from that area but is returned before the attacking player has time to leave the area, provided he does not play the ball or interfere with the defence, a foul is not committed.

There was also a foot block in that same play as Andy's shot was heading for the goal
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Zulu

macdanger2

I thought our ball handling in the FF line in such bad conditions was exceptional, can't remember too many balls being spilled

ballinaman

Quote from: Zulu on August 21, 2017, 09:51:16 PM
It wasn't an illegal foot block.
Could have been Griffins shoulder alright.

Watched the game back in full there.
Surprised at Kerry's shooting, Geaney and JOD two frees...Donaghy up and under that Geaney did well to keep alive.

Short free kick in injury time was very poor, Mayo would be rinsed if they coughed up something like that leading to an equaliser.

moysider

Quote from: Jinxy on August 21, 2017, 06:02:51 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on August 21, 2017, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:32:29 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on August 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
Whats the most amount of matches a team has played in a single seaaon? If Mayo win the replay, after the final (barring any further replays) will have played 10 matches, two of which have gone to extra time

Tyrone played 10 championships matched in 05.
Meath played 10 championship games in 1991 also.

Was that the year they had all the replays against dublin?

Yes 4 games with Dublin,two games with Wicklow, and one game against Offaly,Laois,Roscommon and Down.  It has been said the break they had for All Ireland final killed their momentum.

It's also been said that Down killed it.

Colm O'Rourke getting cholera killed it.
By the way, just checking that people know the origin of the 'lions led by donkeys' phrase and understand that Sweeney didn't randomly decide to call the Mayo management 'donkeys'.
I always think that phrase is more of a compliment to the lions than a criticism of the donkeys.
Anyway, what's wrong with being a donkey?

Nothing, except you just feel like an ass all the time!

Keane

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2017, 09:40:30 PM
Quote from: Keane on August 21, 2017, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: Ballaghman on August 21, 2017, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 21, 2017, 04:41:29 PM
Quote from: highorlow on August 21, 2017, 04:39:11 PM
QuoteYou didn't happen to count how many steps Colm Boyle took before his goal by any chance?

When did was the over carrying rule re-introduced? It doesn't count for goal chances. That one balanced up the penalty we weren't awarded for the ground touch in the square picked up by Dessie Dolan in real time.

That was a square ball first. Cillian O'Connor followed the ball in, and then when Andy Moran kicked at it, Cillian was in the square.
Square ball? In open play? Ah lads get with the programme!

Not sure if you're serious but the rule is you can't be in the square until after the ball is kicked. You can see from the below that O'Connor is well inside the square when Andy takes his shot, Cillian draws on it after and Griffin paws it away on the ground.

There is an exception to the rule

(i) If an attacking player legally enters the small rectangle, and the ball is played from that area but is returned before the attacking player has time to leave the area, provided he does not play the ball or interfere with the defence, a foul is not committed.

There was also a foot block in that same play as Andy's shot was heading for the goal

He played the ball and interfered with the defense  ???

Mayo4Sam

Keane

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 21, 2017, 10:58:01 PM
He did neither while in the small rectangle

We'll have to agree to differ there I suppose.

Jinxy

Ye should do the decent thing and offer them a replay.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Keane on August 21, 2017, 11:04:49 PM

Sure it was Cillian who played the ball back across the second time for Griffin to handle on the ground.

PS, is that rule still active, that if you are lying on the ground you can play the ball away from yourself, even if you play it on the ground? It was there as a safety thing I think.

bucko

PS, is that rule still active, that if you are lying on the ground you can play the ball away from yourself, even if you play it on the ground? It was there as a safety thing I think.
[/quote]

Only if the player playing the ball was originally in possession.

1.2 (ii) Any player who falls or is knocked to the ground while in possession of the ball may fist or palm the ball away on the ground, and may score by so doing.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 22, 2017, 08:46:48 AM
Quote from: Keane on August 21, 2017, 11:04:49 PM

Sure it was Cillian who played the ball back across the second time for Griffin to handle on the ground.

AZ look at the video, he was outside when he played it back across

It's a fairly pedantic point but there should have been two penalties and not the free out that WUM
Is claiming