All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

QuoteYou didn't happen to count how many steps Colm Boyle took before his goal by any chance?

When did was the over carrying rule re-introduced? It doesn't count for goal chances. That one balanced up the penalty we weren't awarded for the ground touch in the square picked up by Dessie Dolan in real time.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

AZOffaly

Quote from: highorlow on August 21, 2017, 04:39:11 PM
QuoteYou didn't happen to count how many steps Colm Boyle took before his goal by any chance?

When did was the over carrying rule re-introduced? It doesn't count for goal chances. That one balanced up the penalty we weren't awarded for the ground touch in the square picked up by Dessie Dolan in real time.

That was a square ball first. Cillian O'Connor followed the ball in, and then when Andy Moran kicked at it, Cillian was in the square.

Keane

As AZ said, that was a fairly black and white square ball. That's 1-1 in the first half alone from the ref who was still somehow biased against Mayo.

It never stops.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 21, 2017, 04:19:08 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 21, 2017, 04:09:27 PM
David Gough the ref for Saturday. Prob the best ref out there, so happy enough with that.
One of the best refs no doubt but I'm a bit surprised he's the ref for Kerry All Ireland semi final so soon after this. http://www.the42.ie/david-gough-dublin-kerry-kevin-mcmanamon-peter-crowley-3296683-Mar2017/
I just saw the announcement on the official GAA Facebook page and there was one positive comment. The rest were all negative.

A lot of talk about how amateur players shouldn't be subjected to abuse but it seems referees are fair game.

Dubhaltach

Well I think yesterday's game showed up some of the buffoonery that passes for Gaelic Football punditry out there. We've heard everything from there being a top 3 only to the old classic of Mayo having no inside forwards. Then again, maybe we should be thankful as, to some extent, I think Fitzmaurice bought into the narrative about the Mayo forwards. He left his full back line totally isolated, similar to the way we used to in days gone by.

There has been a massive clamour within Mayo recently for a complete return to the running game. While, I agree there is times when it's needed, yesterday vindicated managements persistence in sticking with a kick passing game. I know a draw isn't enough for this group or indeded for the county, however, I feel we would have been facing the usual Kerry victory had Mayo not had the kicking game in their arsenal.

Looking ahead to the replay, I reckon Kerry have the bigger challenge facing them. Mayo's scope for improvement revolves massively around the kickout. We lost 8 of our own first half kickouts, that is astronomical and we probably would have won the game had it not been for this. Although Clarke must take some of the blame, I think he was instructed by management to go long. Things changed for the better in the second half when he went short but he should have been instructed to change tack far earlier. We also need to press the Kerry kickout far more than we did.

Kerry on the other hand face the conundrum of what to do with their full back line. Do they employ a sweeper? or stick to their guns and hope the result falls on their side the next day. Knowing Kerry and replays, they will probably change things up but it is very hard to get a sweeper system right when you have not been using it all year. And even if they do change it up, that should give more space to the Mayo runners to attack from deep. This is the major benefit of Mayo having 2 different attacking game plans. Despite what many say, this is a very good Kerry team and they are capable of coming up with the answers but I am hopeful that Mayo will close it out the next day.

Syferus

What sorts of tits have watched David Gough and think he is a bad ref? Fûck right off.

He's quite lieterally the best ref I've ever seen.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 21, 2017, 04:19:08 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 21, 2017, 04:09:27 PM
David Gough the ref for Saturday. Prob the best ref out there, so happy enough with that.
One of the best refs no doubt but I'm a bit surprised he's the ref for Kerry All Ireland semi final so soon after this. http://www.the42.ie/david-gough-dublin-kerry-kevin-mcmanamon-peter-crowley-3296683-Mar2017/
The best referee in the country. Fair play to him for being able to admit that mistake last year and explain why he felt he got it wrong.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thewobbler

Quote from: Dubhaltach on August 21, 2017, 05:01:25 PM
Well I think yesterday's game showed up some of the bufoonery that passes for Gaelic Football punditry out there. We've heard everything from there being a top 3 only to the old classic of Mayo having no inside forwards. Then again, maybe we should be thankful as, to some extent, I think Fitzmaurice bought into the narrative about the Mayo forwards. He left his full back line totally isolated, similar to the way we used to in days gone by.

There has been a massive clamour within Mayo recently for a complete return to the running game. While, I agree there is times when it's needed, yesterday vindicated managements persistence in sticking with a kick passing game. I know a draw isn't enough for this group or indeded for the county, however, I feel we would have been facing the usual Kerry victory had Mayo not had the kicking game in their arsenal.

Looking ahead to the replay, I reckon Kerry have the bigger challenge facing them. Mayo's scope for improvement revolve massively around the kickout. We lost 8 of our own first half kickouts, that is astronomical and we probably would have won the game had not been for this. Although Clarke must take some of the blame, I think he was instructed by management to go long. Things changed for the better in the second half when he went short but he should have been instructed to change tack far earlier. We also need to press the Kerry kickout far more than we did.

Kerry on the other hand face the conundrum of what to do with their full back line. Do they employ a sweeper? or stick to their guns and hope the result falls on their side the next day. Knowing Kerry and replays, they will probably change things up but it is very hard to get a sweeper system right when you have not been using it all year. And even if they do change it up, that should give more space to the Mayo runners to attack from deep. This is the major benefit of Mayo having 2 different attacking game plans. Despite what many say, this is a very good Kerry team and they are capable of coming up with the answers but I am hopeful that Mayo will close it out the next day.

Despite their buffoonery they probably realised that Kerry pushed up on kickouts, which consequently forced Clarke to go long, which consequently meant mayo had limited opportunities to run from deep and also consequently meant that when they did win a kick out there was space in front of their full forwards which consequently would encourage any team to kick it in. Consequently.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: thewobbler on August 21, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on August 21, 2017, 05:01:25 PM
Well I think yesterday's game showed up some of the bufoonery that passes for Gaelic Football punditry out there. We've heard everything from there being a top 3 only to the old classic of Mayo having no inside forwards. Then again, maybe we should be thankful as, to some extent, I think Fitzmaurice bought into the narrative about the Mayo forwards. He left his full back line totally isolated, similar to the way we used to in days gone by.

Looking ahead to the replay, I reckon Kerry have the bigger challenge facing them. Mayo's scope for improvement revolve massively around the kickout. We lost 8 of our own first half kickouts, that is astronomical and we probably would have won the game had not been for this. Although Clarke must take some of the blame, I think he was instructed by management to go long. Things changed for the better in the second half when he went short but he should have been instructed to change tack far earlier. We also need to press the Kerry kickout far more than we did.

Despite their buffoonery they probably realised that Kerry pushed up on kickouts, which consequently forced Clarke to go long, which consequently meant mayo had limited opportunities to run from deep and also consequently meant that when they did win a kick out there was space in front of their full forwards which consequently would encourage any team to kick it in. Consequently.

Kerry tried to push up on Mayo kickouts in the 2nd half too. It was Mayo who changed it up at half time and CONSEQUENTLY only lost 1 one kickout in the 2nd half. You tell me which Mayo strategy was better, the 1st half or 2nd half one?

Il Bomber Destro

Who for the final so?

Think you can rule Deegan, Coldrick and Going out given they have taken charge of the semis. McQuillan? Lane?

Lane is the worst ref on the circuit right now and it would be a disgrace if he gets it.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 21, 2017, 05:48:09 PM
Who for the final so?

Think you can rule Deegan, Coldrick and Going out given they have taken charge of the semis. McQuillan? Lane?

Lane is the worst ref on the circuit right now and it would be a disgrace if he gets it.

McQuillan, has to be.

Or... Cormac Reilly?  ;)
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Quote from: vallankumous on August 21, 2017, 03:07:05 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:32:29 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 02:28:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on August 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
Whats the most amount of matches a team has played in a single seaaon? If Mayo win the replay, after the final (barring any further replays) will have played 10 matches, two of which have gone to extra time

Tyrone played 10 championships matched in 05.
Meath played 10 championship games in 1991 also.

Was that the year they had all the replays against dublin?

Yes 4 games with Dublin,two games with Wicklow, and one game against Offaly,Laois,Roscommon and Down.  It has been said the break they had for All Ireland final killed their momentum.

It's also been said that Down killed it.

Colm O'Rourke getting cholera killed it.
By the way, just checking that people know the origin of the 'lions led by donkeys' phrase and understand that Sweeney didn't randomly decide to call the Mayo management 'donkeys'.
I always think that phrase is more of a compliment to the lions than a criticism of the donkeys.
Anyway, what's wrong with being a donkey?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 06:01:26 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 21, 2017, 05:48:09 PM
Who for the final so?

McQuillan, has to be.

Or... Cormac Reilly?  ;)

Neilan. Did the business in the league final.

Ballaghman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 21, 2017, 04:41:29 PM

That was a square ball first. Cillian O'Connor followed the ball in, and then when Andy Moran kicked at it, Cillian was in the square.
Square ball? In open play? Ah lads get with the programme!

yellowcard

This talk about referee's by rival counties prior to the game is getting tiresome. Gough is arguably the best referee in the game and will let the game flow. His style of refereeing where he tends to apply common sense rather than going strictly by the rulebook lends itself to a good spectacle.