All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: maigheo on August 21, 2017, 11:33:32 AM
Very unfair headline in the Sindo this morning about lions being led by donkeys.Article written by Eamonn Sweeny who usually is good but this is way below the belt.

I doubt Sweeney wrote the headline. Usually some sub editor does that. I saw it and thought it was very unfair too.

Zulu

Grand but which FB? You couldn't put Higgins, Boyle, Barrett on him as he'd win high ball all day. Harrison? What about Geaney, he did well on him. It can be too easy to criticise a management decision but not have an alternative solution that's any better.

Syferus

Quote from: Zulu on August 21, 2017, 01:21:53 PM
Grand but which FB? You couldn't put Higgins, Boyle, Barrett on him as he'd win high ball all day. Harrison? What about Geaney, he did well on him. It can be too easy to criticise a management decision but not have an alternative solution that's any better.

Vaughan. I don't rate him much, but he's a mucker and even if he's loose defending he understands the basics of it, unlike AOS. Strong enough too, and good enough to do at least a bit better of a job than AOS did, freeing AOS to do what he's actually good at.

That Kerry FB line would have shat bricks if AOS was on top of them yesterday.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2017, 01:25:34 PM

Vaughan. I don't rate him much, but he's a mucker and even if he's loose defending he understands the basics of it, unlike AOS. Strong enough too, and good enough to do at least a bit better of a job than AOS did, freeing AOS to do what he's actually good at.

But vaughan isnt a full back or able to compete under high ball with donaghy
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

maigheo

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 21, 2017, 01:20:19 PM
Quote from: maigheo on August 21, 2017, 11:33:32 AM
Very unfair headline in the Sindo this morning about lions being led by donkeys.Article written by Eamonn Sweeny who usually is good but this is way below the belt.

I doubt Sweeney wrote the headline. Usually some sub editor does that. I saw it and thought it was very unfair too.
I also thought that but the last line in the article says the same thing.He had a fair go at the players after the H and C fiasco ,basically calling them losers so surprised to see him go the other way.Would have expected this article from Brehony and his ilk but not from Sweeney

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 01:34:39 PM

AOS isn't a back, period. Vaughan is more suited than Ger Caff to marking Donaghy. You've going to have the likes of Higgins and Harrison providing cover anyways.

If Rochford was obsessed with over-thinking it and putting a midfielder back there, at least SOS has a higher work-rate than his brother.

ballinaman

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2017, 01:41:08 PM

AOS isn't a back, period. Vaughan is more suited than Ger Caff to marking Donaghy. You've going to have the likes of Higgins and Harrison providing cover anyways.

If Rochford was obsessed with over-thinking it and putting a midfielder back there, at least SOS has a higher work-rate than his brother.
SOS very poor yesterday IMO.
Consistently inconsistent.

JoG2

Vaughan's a big enough man himself and has been excellent the last couple of games...he's a shoe in to pick up Donaghy on Sat imo

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2017, 01:41:08 PM

Seamus Oshea is 6"2, Donaghy is 6"5

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: JoG2 on August 21, 2017, 01:45:10 PM

Vaughan's a big enough man himself and has been excellent the last couple of games...he's a shoe in to pick up Donaghy on Sat imo

Vaughan is 6"2 and not a particularly good fielder

JoG2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 01:45:45 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on August 21, 2017, 01:45:10 PM

Vaughan is 6"2 and not a particularly good fielder

nobody is asking him or expecting him to field the thing, more to wreck or curtail Donaghy's fielding ability and releasing AOS further up the pitch.

ONeill

Mayo need 2 points to become the highest scorers in a championship season. Beating us in 2005. Fcuk yiz.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Keyser soze on August 21, 2017, 12:54:40 PM
I thought that putting O'Shea to fb worked out ok for Mayo.

Firstly it negated the high ball into Donaghy on the square. Donaghy getting the ball 40 yards out on the wing is a completely different proposition to him getting the ball on the edge of the small square. The first goal was a result of S O'Shea sleeping on the ball and getting turned over, 2 or 3 Mayo players made no effort to get back with O'Brien leaving Aidan exposed. I definitely wouldn't blame him for that goal. His poor effort to stop the ball going over the line prior to the 2nd goal was a pure joke, lazy big ++++. Nothing to do with being fb tho.

Secondly I think Aidan O'Shea gets a lot of possession in most games but is is far too slow to move the ball, his default setting is a solo, maybe 2 and then a 3rd with his right foot before looking to part the ball, I feel it's no coincidence that Mayo tore Kerry apart with fast first time ball and lots of running support when he wasn't there to slow it down.

Not for the first time agree with everything you say Keyser, great game I drenched but worth it.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: sensethetone on August 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
Whats the most amount of matches a team has played in a single seaaon? If Mayo win the replay, after the final (barring any further replays) will have played 10 matches, two of which have gone to extra time

Tyrone played 10 championships matched in 05.
Meath played 10 championship games in 1991 also.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 21, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Quote from: sensethetone on August 21, 2017, 12:27:39 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 21, 2017, 12:18:20 PM
Whats the most amount of matches a team has played in a single seaaon? If Mayo win the replay, after the final (barring any further replays) will have played 10 matches, two of which have gone to extra time

Tyrone played 10 championships matched in 05.
Meath played 10 championship games in 1991 also.

Was that the year they had all the replays against dublin?