All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

straightred

Quote from: yellowcard on August 20, 2017, 11:34:54 PM
People are obsessing too much about Donaghy. He is an average inter county footballer on the ground but is a huge aerial threat. Plenty of people thought he was done 2 years ago and yet he is being talked up as some sort of modern day phenomenon. I don't get it. He only played decently today because he had nobody marking him when low ball was played in. I think Mayo can get far too hung up on Donaghy to the detriment of other areas of the pitch.

He's a handful and causes panic. Whether you rate him or not he did a lot of damage today

Captain Scarlet

Just reading Johnny Doyle's piece on the 42,ie and he pointed that O'Connor didn't have as much frees to swing over. He points that AOS tends to often be fouled as the only means to stop him.
If that's the case even if he wasn't directing play you are losing on him drawing frees that tend to be converted.
Honestly can a Mayo person answer if Seamie would not have been a better option considering you lose less from sticking him in there?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trileacman

People are obsessing too much about Donaghy. He is an average inter county footballer on the ground but is a huge aerial threat. Plenty of people thought he was done 2 years ago and yet he is being talked up as some sort of modern day phenomenon. I don't get it. He only played decently today because he had nobody marking him when low ball was played in. I think Mayo can get far too hung up on Donaghy to the detriment of other areas of the pitch.

Donaghys not that good you're right. A blunt instrument. So employ another blunt instrument to negate him. Don't throw one of your main attacking fulcrums at the back when a midfielder would do.

It's the equivalent of sacrificing your queen to capture a knight in chess.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

stew

Quote from: trileacman on August 20, 2017, 11:55:08 PM

Donaghys not that good you're right. A blunt instrument. So employ another blunt instrument to negate him. Don't throw one of your main attacking fulcrums at the back when a midfielder would do.

It's the equivalent of sacrificing your queen to capture a knight in chess.

Thats a load of bollocks in fairness, Donaghy has been excellent this year and you need to man mark him, you put your best option on him no matter the position if you are Mayo and adjust accordingly depending on how the game is going.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BennyHarp

Has a team ever drawn 4 games against 4 different teams in one championship season before? I must admit a growing admiration for the resilience of this Mayo team.
That was never a square ball!!

Captain Scarlet

But was Mayo's best option a lad who has never played FB, who has been one of the main influences for the team all year??
His brother is much more of a mucker to throw back there.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

brianboru00

Donaghy directly contributed to 2-3. a further point occured when he was involved in the build up passing move. Another when he balooned his shot in the 69th minute and Kerry scored from the break.

He destroyed O'se - no doubt about it. O se I think only once was within touching distance when KD received it. For the first goal AOS is not within an asses roar - Higgins is closer but no tackle goes in on Donaghy and he sets up the goal even running on for the return pass to finish himself but he s not needed. AOS is as effective as a bollard in the same position.
For goal 2-  its typical of the threat. Firstly a pass out to AOS on the wing which was not as bad as some are saying - he appears to be way to casual and certainly it would have been possible to win that ball. In any case the ball goes in . SOS actually breaks it but  od course its nigh on impossible to break the ball of Donaghy with any accuracy and Kerry runners ensure they goal here.

How anyone could say it was anything other than a daft decision for AOS to pick himself Rochford to pick AOS at fullback is beyond me.  As said earlier the weather would have meant fewer long ball opportunities, Vaughan I think would have negated and probably stopped the first goal and a couple of the points.
There were also another couple of opportunities set up by Donaghy as well as a poor enough wide from himself.

Its actually stunning how much space and time Donaghy had on the ball - that would not happen against the Dubs or Tyrone.

Wildweasel74

I had said somewhere earlier in the year that Conor O`Shea should been tried at full back, but he seems well down the list, doesn't even come off the bench anymore

mrhardyannual

I don't know how anyone can attribute two goals to Donaghy. For the second goal, Donaghy comes for the ball but Swamie knocks it away from him. Unfortunately/fortunately the ball falls into Moran's hands and it is his work that creates the goal scored by Buckley.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 20, 2017, 11:48:37 PM
Just reading Johnny Doyle's piece on the 42,ie and he pointed that O'Connor didn't have as much frees to swing over. He points that AOS tends to often be fouled as the only means to stop him.
If that's the case even if he wasn't directing play you are losing on him drawing frees that tend to be converted.
Honestly can a Mayo person answer if Seamie would not have been a better option considering you lose less from sticking him in there?

I was thinking the same myself overall you'd have to say it was a v strange decision. Not sure if it worked. The media obsession with Donaghy is bizaare, put a big man on him, get in his face, break the high ball, he's easy enough to put off his game and doesnt adpat well, he thrives on confidence dont give him any.... 08final was the template, not difficult. Mayo have managed to revive his career by not adjusting for him in '14 and now by putting their talisman on him.

Aaron Boone

For all the huffing & puffing ref tactics, Mayo are still in it and live to fight another day.

Farrandeelin

I read a lot of the comments last night. Regarding the fullback conundrum, I was more than surprised to see AOS back there. I didn't work in my opinion as he stood off Donaghy too much. I can understand ONeill's opinion of O'Shea negating the high ball in on top of Donaghy influence though. I maintain that O'Shea should be midfield, period.

Clarke was poor on kickouts imo yesterday. Kerry pressed up well on them so I could be harsh on him. The other backs did well enough. 2-14 conceded probably tells another story however. One thing I cannot understand is the persistent substituting of Colm Boyle. I just can't get my head around it. I thought he was one of the better performers we had yesterday. Keegan wasn't influential either. Maybe the illness/injury took a bit out of him.

Midfield was always going to be a battle. Thought we did well enough there. But how we missed AOS in that department. He has to start there the next day.

The half forwards didn't do much apart from Doherty in the first half imo. McLoughlin got on a lot of ball but he should have done more with it in scoring positions (I.e. score). Diarmuid O'Connor wasn't at the races I thought. Could have been taken off earlier. Andy Moran more than made up for them. 1-5 from play. Amazing from a man in the twilight of his years in a Mayo jersey. He's playing the best football of his life at the minute! Cillian was ok. Missed a sitter of a free early on. Fine margins and all that.

Rochford's continuing 'seeing something' in Drake which most others don't is quite worrying. He's not the man to put on to get a score. Loftus should have been brought on in his stead at the time for DOC. Agree with Bomber about Coen. He sadly hasn't lived up to his potential yet and I think Nally would be a better option than him.

I knew Kerry's defence was poor, but I never realised how bad the full back line were. I hope Mayo haven't missed the boat. Sadly though I think they have. In saying that no team deserved to lose it given the conditions yesterday. Up Mayo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ballinaman

Shane Nally excellent during the league, canon of a left peg off the bench vs Roscommon.

Coen/Drake are not shooters when the pressure is on, contrast Coens attempt to Barry John Keane down the other end. Very frustrating substitutions.

Syferus

Quote from: ballinaman on August 21, 2017, 07:57:36 AM
Shane Nally excellent during the league, canon of a left peg off the bench vs Roscommon.

Coen/Drake are not shooters when the pressure is on, contrast Coens attempt to Barry John Keane down the other end. Very frustrating substitutions.

It's bad when you're lusting after Barry John Keane. Against every big team but Mayo he's the game-loser-in-chief for Kerry.

Nally's nothing special, at least not yet. Even Drake scored against us that day so him scoring then is hardly worth noting. Ye don't have much of a bench no matter who comes on, it's as simple as that.