All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on August 18, 2017, 11:12:52 PM

Walsh was very effective in both games in 2014.

He was especially effective in the second game.  Wonder why?  ;)

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2017, 11:30:58 PM

Indeed. First day he did a little petulant dance to get Keegan sent off. Got away with persistent checking and cheap pulling and dragging both days. He was a massive player in both matches. I'm sorry in a way he is missing this.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on August 19, 2017, 12:01:50 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 18, 2017, 11:30:58 PM

Indeed. First day he did a little petulant dance to get Keegan sent off. Got away with persistent checking and cheap pulling and dragging both days. He was a massive player in both matches. I'm sorry in a way he is missing this.

Yes, he done some dance that day!  ;D

moysider

I suppose his choir boy style and fonzy hairstyle kept him under the radar. A couple of tattoos and a tighter haircut and he would have been no good at all.

theyellowbus

Mayo I feel will win this.The Roscommon game the last day seem to have awoken the bear from its slumber and it was a more cohesive performance than we had seen all year.
Lads like Harrison Higgins and Boyle are really playing great stuff and driving the team forward with parsons hopefully to start he seems to be the rough diamond in mayo's set up at the moment and is sure to be very effective with his mobility and power and I also see a big game from cillian o Connor tomorrow.
Kerry on the other hand are very much under cooked this far into championship and if mayo can hit the ground running I can see them win by three or four.
Walsh is a huge loss to Kerry and JOD hasn't seem to reach the heights we thought he would so hard to know what to expect from him either very good or very bad
There is something more steely about this mayo team this year and I think this resolve will help them reach the final.
Anyway here's to a good game either way

Lar Naparka

From the most recent posts here, I take it that the lineups have been announced but I haven't seen them anywhere. I would have thought someone here would have posted them by now.

PS Farr, only two points?
Geez, I was waiting for you to come up with at least a six or seven point drubbing and now I'm getting a bit windy. We might even lose at that rate of going.  ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Zulu

I fancied Kerry to win the All Ireland at the start of the year and still feel they are best equipped to beat Dublin but the closer we get to this game the more I'm siding with Mayo. I think Walsh is a massive loss for Kerry because they have less impact from the bench. I think Maher starting also weakens their bench as Barry, for all his talent, could be asked to come in and turn the tide against one of the best middle 8's in the business and that's a big ask for a young player. O'Donoghue is classy but if he is managing an injury that limits his training he could find it tough going in a game of this intensity. Basically, if Mayo can keep tabs on Kerry's FF line to a reasonable degree and their defence is as good as anyone to do it they can win this.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 09:26:32 PM
I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.

Don't tell me. It's Frankie Dolan isn't it?

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 19, 2017, 02:59:38 PM
I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.

Wind your big neck the fúck in.

The point is its a very subjective accolade and despite Joyce never doing anything to separate himself from the many other great Connacht forwards he was lauded as the best when he retired, mainly off the back of his long career.

PW Nally

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2017, 03:13:39 PM

The point is its a very subjective accolade and despite Joyce never doing anything to separate himself from the many other great Connacht forwards he was lauded as the best when he retired, mainly off the back of his long career.
Cregger?

maigheo

No its got to be Senan.Didnt Paddy Joe anoint him as the best player in Ireland a few years ago ;D

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Syferus on August 19, 2017, 03:13:39 PM

Having a long career is one of the things that makes a great player great.

Il Bomber Destro

I would have thought there'd be absolutely no debate at all that Joyce is/was the best inside forward to come out of Connacht in the past 25 years.

heffo

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 05:39:50 PM
I would have thought there'd be absolutely no debate at all that Joyce is/was the best inside forward to come out of Connacht in the past 25 years.

Me either

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: heffo on August 19, 2017, 05:45:51 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 19, 2017, 05:39:50 PM

Me either

We can start a thread on it in the winter to kill the time. In the meantime, let's stick to Mayo v Kerry.