All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 09:26:32 PM
Was Walsh not starting ever much of a blow even in his prime? To be honest, he always came across as just another 'guy', a player that wouldn't leave a gaping hole in a team but who never would be the winning of a game either. Kerry's Jason Doherty, so to speak. Certainly not in the Paul Galvin or TOS class, and not even in the David Moran or JOD class either.

I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.

You are so clueless it's amazing really!

You always come back with some stupid remark, but just for fear you might get some sense, do you recall the 2013 semi final where Donnacha Walsh totally bamboozled Jack McCaffrey for example? If a player can do that, surely he's not a total plodder,no?

Walsh is no silky, skillful player and has limitations but he's had a serious effect in a lot of high quality games in the last 7/8 years. His loss on Sunday (pulled hammer in training I'm hearing) makes the squad a bit weaker. O'Brien does well off the bench but has a mixed record starting games. Mikey Geaney is just a Fitzmaurice pet-project and it's a bit annoying. He's a glaring weakness.

Wet day, frees and discipline will be crucial, so this game looks tighter as we get closer to it.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 18, 2017, 09:41:22 PM
Was Walsh not starting ever much of a blow even in his prime? To be honest, he always came across as just another 'guy', a player that wouldn't leave a gaping hole in a team but who never would be the winning of a game either. Kerry's Jason Doherty, so to speak. Certainly not in the Paul Galvin or TOS class, and not even in the David Moran or JOD class either.

I think in this sport we have a tendancy to reward longevity with unwarranted plaudits - Padraig Joyce was being lauded as the best forward Connacht had ever seen on his retirement, lest we forget.

You always come back with some stupid remark, but just for fear you might get some sense, do you recall the 2013 semi final where Donnacha Walsh totally bamboozled Jack McCaffrey for example? If a player can do that, surely he's not a total plodder,no?

Walsh is no silky, skillful player and has limitations but he's had a serious effect in a lot of high quality games in the last 7/8 years. His loss on Sunday (pulled hammer in training I'm hearing) makes the squad a bit weaker. O'Brien does well off the bench but has a mixed record starting games. Mikey Geaney is just a Fitzmaurice pet-project and it's a bit annoying. He's a glaring weakness.

Wet day, frees and discipline will be crucial, so this game looks tighter as we get closer to it.

Was Jack Mc out of nappies in 2013? Is that really your example that disproves what I said? An old vet beating a talented but raw young lad?

macdanger2

Durcan in for Keegan although there will surely be changes

O'brien, young & Maher in for Walsh, Fitzgerald & Barry

Mayo4Sam14

He was 29 then, McCaffrey was 19.
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 09:44:37 PM

Was Jack Mc out of nappies in 2013? Is that really your example that disproves what I said? An old vet beating a talented but raw young lad?

"You always come back with some stupid remark"..QED.  ::)

If you're good enough to start for Dublin, what difference does age make? He was outstanding for most of that year, won young POTY etc. Anyway forget it, you've proved that logic is no part of the equation with you numerous times.

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 18, 2017, 10:06:42 PM

If you're good enough to start for Dublin, what difference does age make? He was outstanding for most of that year, won young POTY etc. Anyway forget it, you've proved that logic is no part of the equation with you numerous times.

What difference does it make? He was a teenager FFS, going up against a fully grown man about 30.

If experience doesn't matter why is the average age of the key players on Sunday so high? Surely if you're good enough to play for Mayo or Kerry it should matter if you're 18 or 28?

You're trying to take some sort of intellectual high ground but all you've done is call me playground names and say that experience and physical conditioning doesn't matter in senior IC..

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 10:10:19 PM

What difference does it make? He was a teenager FFS, going up against a fully grown man about 30.

If experience doesn't matter why is the average age of the key players on Sunday so high? Surely if you're good enough to play for Mayo or Kerry it should matter if you're 18 or 28?

You're trying to take some sort of intellectual high ground but all you've done is call me playground names and say that experience and physical conditioning doesn't matter in senior IC..

Yes exactly, phyiscal conditioning, speed etc is seriously important at the highest level. Jim Gavin deemed Jack McCaffrey up to the standard of starting in an All-Ireland winning team in 2013, the year in question, despite his lack of experience.

And I've no problem calling you an idiot, based on your posting record. I won't be alone there either.

AZOffaly

Syferus was grand and quiet there for a while for some reason, but I think the U17s winning last weekend has emboldened him again :)

Syferus

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on August 18, 2017, 10:16:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on August 18, 2017, 10:10:19 PM

Yes exactly, phyiscal conditioning, speed etc is seriously important at the highest level. Jim Gavin deemed Jack McCaffrey up to the standard of starting in an All-Ireland winning team in 2013, the year in question, despite his lack of experience.

And I've no problem calling you an idiot, based on your posting record. I won't be alone there either.

You really need to stop digging on this one. Anyone can see that a very mature Walsh doing a job on a green Jack Mc is not proof of being some great player. As I said before, he's always been just a 'guy' - that's no insult either, but you chose to take it as one because you dislike the messenger.

You think being alone makes you wrong or not being alone makes you right? Wow.

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 18, 2017, 10:18:31 PM
Syferus was grand and quiet there for a while for some reason, but I think the U17s winning last weekend has emboldened him again :)

I was on holidays in Majorca. If any of ye think any result or any abuse is going to make me bat an eyelid at this point I don't think you get how easily it all bounces off me.

Mayo4Sam14

Fact is Walsh was younger - closer to prime, McCaffrey was further
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

blast05

Interesting strategy by Dublin all the same that they would play a lad who was physically incapable of competing for ball.
There was me thinking they had a bigger pick than Leitrim and wouldn't be forced into such strange selections.  ::)

PS ... Walsh was the difference between the sides in '14 (the dirty cheating p***k ... a compliment i guess). I'm delighted he is out cos i was sure he would have been targeted with ensuring Keegan did not score. Not like they don't have history

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Anyway, Durcan surely will start and possibly Doherty to lose out for Mayo?

I'd imagine Barrett on JOD, Harrison on the real Geaney, Vaughan on Donaghy, Higgins sweeper. Very interesting to see how that battle goes. Harrison v Geaney is a serious one. 2 very effective players.

The concern for Kerry is Keegan getting space/time to attack. The other Geaney will have zero effect on the game most likely. O'Brien works hard but is hit and miss when starting although to be fair, had an excellent game in the wet v Tyrone in 2015.

I think this is going to be a tight, niggly game with a goal being crucial either way. Discipline and frees also obviously will be massive.

Unless Kerry have a very bad day around the middle and only get 45% possession or less, I think we'll do enough.

Farrandeelin

Best of luck to Mayo on Sunday. Hope they can bridge the 21 year gap. I predicted a 2 point Kerry win. Sticking to that.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 18, 2017, 11:10:14 PM
Best of luck to Mayo on Sunday. Hope they can bridge the 21 year gap. I predicted a 2 point Kerry win. Sticking to that.

Thanks for that Farr! You could have written us off a bit more?