All Ireland Football semi-final;Mayo v Kerry,Sunday Aug 20

Started by maigheo, August 08, 2017, 03:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Quote from: moysider on August 15, 2017, 12:50:14 AM

Boyle cant be dropped. We wouldn't be here without him. It would be a disgrace to drop him. Paddy Durcan's game is not about marking a player like James O Donoghue. Something he's never done and I wouldn't ask him to do with now. We have 3 players that can mark now. Harrison, Barrett and Keegan. That's not so bad.

Durcan marked McManamon in the drawn AIF last year and Andrews in the replay. Held them both scoreless while getting forward well himself. Would be the ideal type of marker for O'Donoghue IMO.

moysider

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 15, 2017, 12:53:41 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 15, 2017, 12:37:51 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on August 15, 2017, 12:35:58 AM
Harrison marking Geaney, Vaughan on Donaghy and Durcan on JO'D - don't think Barrett would have the pace for him. Half back line of Keegan, Barrett, Higgins. Boyle on the bench for this one is harsh on him but 7 backs into 6 positions doesn't go. Playing backs as forwards hasn't worked for us before so I would avoid that.

We'll need savage work rate from the middle 8 players to put pressure on the ball going in. No full back in the country will out field Donaghy if Moran et al can pick their passes freely.

Play boyle wing back, higgins sweeper?

We would then presumably leave out Doherty or DO'C which would reduce our shooting options as they are both good for a score or 2 per game. It would be letting the Kerry defence off lightly as Higgins' shooting is much more wayward.

In any case, we'll need good backs, like Boyle, coming on in the second half to counter Kerry's bench.

Can't leave out Doherty, Diarmuid O Connor or Boyle. What it boils down to is Vaughan or Keegan. Unless you drop Seamie or Tom and play Keegan in midfield and Vaughan at full back. Or the other way around.
I can't imagine how Boyle would be able to counter Kerry's bench. Boyle has been our best leader for years. Need him on pitch and for as long as possible. Madness to drop him.

moysider

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 15, 2017, 12:56:22 AM

Boyle cant be dropped. We wouldn't be here without him. It would be a disgrace to drop him. Paddy Durcan's game is not about marking a player like James O Donoghue. Something he's never done and I wouldn't ask him to do with now. We have 3 players that can mark now. Harrison, Barrett and Keegan. That's not so bad.

Durcan marked McManamon in the drawn AIF last year and Andrews in the replay. Held them both scoreless while getting forward well himself. Would be the ideal type of marker for O'Donoghue IMO.

Good point. Christ! it would wreck your head!.

thewobbler

If it was up to me, I wouldn't let Vaughan anywhere near the team. He's an eejit and Kerry love putting eejits to the sword. Especially don't put him anywhere near Donaghy, as Star loves nothing more than a rash tackler hanging off him.

Parsons has to play as put simply, Mayo always play better when he's on the field.

JOD isn't worth all the worry lads. Injuries mean he's really not the player he was, not even close. If Kerry's management are taking this seriously, he won't be involved.

Tubberman

Vaughan is tough as nails and great engine, great going forward etc, but he makes rash tackles - can't afford tongue Donaghy easy frees or a penalty and black card
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

blast05

Quote from: MayoBuck on August 15, 2017, 12:56:22 AM

The single biggest reason for Cork getting back into the game in Limerick was the guy Durcan was marking when he came on had free reign. Durcan great on the front for in that game but terrible at picking up his man

Mayo4Sam

The Mayo news podcast mentioned Keegan at midfield on Moran with AOS helping on the kick outs. I think that would really give Kerry something to think about
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 15, 2017, 09:15:45 AM
The Mayo news podcast mentioned Keegan at midfield on Moran with AOS helping on the kick outs. I think that would really give Kerry something to think about

Lee Keegan on a big, slow midfielder is madness. Whoever suggested that really needs to shut up shop.

yellowcard

If Mayo are focussing on Moran and O'Donoghue then that will surely be music to Kerry's ears. Moran is excellent from kick outs but from open play he moves slowly around the pitch. If you take restart situations out of the game he is certainly not a man that needs any extra attention. Also it is hard to believe that Geaney seems to get less attention than O'Donoghue despite the fact that he is a much better player. O'Donoghue is a one trick pony who relies on blistering pace, putting the head down and running hard and direct at the goals. At his best he can be devastating but that hasn't happened consistently since 2014. Geaney on the other hand has been the best forward in the country for the last 2 years and he is the one they need to stop most. 

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Syferus on August 15, 2017, 09:40:22 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 15, 2017, 09:15:45 AM

Lee Keegan on a big, slow midfielder is madness. Whoever suggested that really needs to shut up shop.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

yellowcard

David Brady now suggesting that Aidan O'Se should go to full back to mark Donaghy. How some of these pundits get air time, I don't understand. 

Tubberman

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2017, 10:22:29 AM
David Brady now suggesting that Aidan O'Se should go to full back to mark Donaghy. How some of these pundits get air time, I don't understand. 

He's there mainly for comic relief in fairness.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ballaghman

Quote from: thewobbler on August 15, 2017, 06:49:45 AM
If it was up to me, I wouldn't let Vaughan anywhere near the team. He's an eejit and Kerry love putting eejits to the sword. Especially don't put him anywhere near Donaghy, as Star loves nothing more than a rash tackler hanging off him.

Parsons has to play as put simply, Mayo always play better when he's on the field.

JOD isn't worth all the worry lads. Injuries mean he's really not the player he was, not even close. If Kerry's management are taking this seriously, he won't be involved.
Extremely harsh and untrue comment about Vaughan. Vaughan should start every game in Croke Park in my opinion such is his engine and the power he brings. He should not start at full back though. He's not a man marker and because of a horses for courses situation he may indeed lose out but I'd be trying to find a place for him.
It would melt your head thinking of the match ups. Someone mentioned Durcan against Cork and how poor he was. That was a blip imo. The job he did on McManaman and Andrews last year is the real Durcan and he could do a job on O'Donoghue. He would be a loss from an attacking point of view but these lads bomb forward anyway and he should do that whoever he's marking.
Kerry will be bringing on Barry John Keane, Stephen O'Brien and Darren O'Sullivan so we'll need to bring in some fresh legs anyway. If Boyle, Vaughan or Durcan don't start then they will come in to counteract this. Keegan to midfield isn't a bad call either. The freedom he would have would be good for us and he would destroy Moran on the ground. Don't envy Rochford this week, he has some job to get these match ups right. In fairness he usually does.
With all that said, I actually have a feeling we have a sweeper plan not mentioned yet and I'm not going to say it as I wouldn't want to give any Kerry bucks the slightest bit of an advantage. Fitzmaurice is known to be an avid follower on here!

macdanger2

Stephen O'Brien is quality, wouldn't be surprised if he starts, maybe ahead of Mike Geaney

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 15, 2017, 12:49:53 PM
Stephen O'Brien is quality, wouldn't be surprised if he starts, maybe ahead of Mike Geaney

He's mighty at over-carrying and not being called on it alright, but besides that..