Started by Syferus, June 20, 2017, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: BennyCake on June 20, 2017, 06:56:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 20, 2017, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 20, 2017, 05:46:15 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 20, 2017, 04:53:33 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 20, 2017, 04:10:20 PM
CP execs are rubbing their hands at this.

Only a matter of time before all food and drink are banned from being taken in. Another example of the €€€€ coming before the people

What?  :o With everything that happened in the UK and France recently, plus Ireland being listed by ISIS as a high target, it's a necessary course of action.

Something could easily happen outside as inside. Jones' Road is thronged with fans on big days. How would you police that? No bags allowed beyond the motorways?

What kind of nonsensical argument is that? You can't expect people to stop living, but it's hardly too much not to ask people to take a bag into a location with 82,000+ people.

I don't expect people to stop living. I'm merely saying that anyone intent on doing damage will do damage. They know things are tighter security so what's to stop them doing damage outside a stadium like Croke Park? And there could be more damage done there than inside. Yes bag checks is good, but that only protects people in the stadium. The blast in Manchester wasn't actually in the arena, don't forget.

If you follow that logic though, there's no point in putting checks anywhere.

There are plenty of things to criticise the gaa about but this isn't one of them imo

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2017, 05:38:30 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 20, 2017, 05:31:24 PM
Could the stupid f**kers not just check bags. Sure how can you bring kids to a game without a bag? Why only Croke park?

What sort of yokes are you putting in kids bags that you'd need it to be bigger than A4-sized?

Actually maybe don't answer that.

In order to maintain self-sufficiency, the average Cavan family out for the day has to carry 47lbs of provisions.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Itchy on June 20, 2017, 07:30:45 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 20, 2017, 05:33:15 PM
Could the stupid f**kers not just check bags. Sure how can you bring kids to a game without a bag? Why only Croke park?

Checking 83,000 people isn't easy.

83000 people won't all have backpacks, I'd say maybe 5% would at a guess although Armagh people would probably have more to carry in their buckfast.

The poor stewards would have their work cut out if Cavan ever got to Croker, with Cavan families bringing in as much cheap food and drink to avoid the extortionate prices inside the ground. The place would be full of rucksacks.

Jinxy

Quote from: yellowcard on June 20, 2017, 09:04:31 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 20, 2017, 07:30:45 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 20, 2017, 05:33:15 PM

Checking 83,000 people isn't easy.

83000 people won't all have backpacks, I'd say maybe 5% would at a guess although Armagh people would probably have more to carry in their buckfast.

The poor stewards would have their work cut out if Cavan ever got to Croker, with Cavan families bringing in as much cheap food and drink to avoid the extortionate prices inside the ground. The place would be full of rucksacks.

Many's the child from Cavan that was brought into Croke Park in a rucksack.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dire Ear

Clonliffe College Car Park -
The Clonliffe College car park is situated 5 minutes from Croke Park Stadium. The car park has 2,000 spaces which include 100 disabled spaces and is accessible via Drumcondra Road Lower. Parking is available for just €10 on specified match days only and you will need to purchase your pass in advance
When did this start, booking in advance ??

Avondhu star

Quote from: TheOptimist on June 20, 2017, 05:12:31 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 20, 2017, 04:53:33 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 20, 2017, 04:10:20 PM
CP execs are rubbing their hands at this.

Only a matter of time before all food and drink are banned from being taken in. Another example of the €€€€ coming before the people

What?  :o With everything that happened in the UK and France recently, plus Ireland being listed by ISIS as a high target, it's a necessary course of action.

Then why only Croke Park?  ???

Its only Croke Park have issues with running on to the pitch. Look at Thurles last Sunday
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Avondhu star

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 21, 2017, 07:33:01 PM
Clonliffe College Car Park -
The Clonliffe College car park is situated 5 minutes from Croke Park Stadium. The car park has 2,000 spaces which include 100 disabled spaces and is accessible via Drumcondra Road Lower. Parking is available for just €10 on specified match days only and you will need to purchase your pass in advance
When did this start, booking in advance ??

Since the Corporate Health and Safety gobshites butted in
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Taylor

You can bet your bottom dollar the GAA will make money out of this.

While I appreciate the sentiment of keeping everyone safe there is no doubt they are now thinking about how €€€€ can be squeezed from the normal supporter with this.

With the added focus the GAA now have on the Health & Safety of our patrons I look forward to this rule being brought in at every GAA crowd where a crowd of more than say 20k can be expected.

It may be coincidence but the prices of the sweets/food/crisps may also go up by the odd 5 or 10 cent  :-\

ONeill

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 20, 2017, 03:44:27 PM
Bother for some families with a squad of children.

Armagh wans still bring their children in bags?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 08:18:18 AM

While I appreciate the sentiment of keeping everyone safe there is no doubt they are now thinking about how €€€€ can be squeezed from the normal supporter with this.

With the added focus the GAA now have on the Health & Safety of our patrons I look forward to this rule being brought in at every GAA crowd where a crowd of more than say 20k can be expected.

It may be coincidence but the prices of the sweets/food/crisps may also go up by the odd 5 or 10 cent  :-\

Are Croke Park running the food shops, or have they not just rented out to various companies. So if the prices go up, that wouldn't be a Croke Park decision I'd have thought?

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 08:45:48 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 08:18:18 AM

Are Croke Park running the food shops, or have they not just rented out to various companies. So if the prices go up, that wouldn't be a Croke Park decision I'd have thought?

Cmon AZ - you are not that niaive as to think the GAA are not a money making machine and out to squeeze as much money as possible from the normal supporter? Sky, ticket prices etc etc

This is a perfect opportunity for them to either directly or indirectly make money.

If safety is the only aspect at play here then I expect this directive to be brought in at every county ground immediately?

AZOffaly

I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I think they try to make their money at a higer levels, and they are making competitive decisions which are influenced by maximising revenue rather than promoting competitions, and that's bad. However I don't think they are gouging us in general. Ticket prices are a bit steep but apart from that it's not too bad.

Also, I suppose we should always remember that the GAA is using it's profits to promote and support the games. They give too much of it straight back to Dublin :) but the rest of us benefit from every euro they make too.

westbound

I really can't believe that people are questioning this decision by Croke park.

Imagine the outcry from people if this wasn't done and god forbid something terrible did happen? The GAA would be accused (rightly IMO) of doing nothing to prevent this and of having their heads in the sand.

Someone asked, why only croke park? Because it's the only stadium that holds over 80K people so lets start there!

There is no way in the world of 100% preventing an attack in this country, but reducing the risk of one makes absolute sense.

Taylor

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 09:58:47 AM
I'm not sure I agree to be honest. I think they try to make their money at a higer levels, and they are making competitive decisions which are influenced by maximising revenue rather than promoting competitions, and that's bad. However I don't think they are gouging us in general. Ticket prices are a bit steep but apart from that it's not too bad.

Also, I suppose we should always remember that the GAA is using it's profits to promote and support the games. They give too much of it straight back to Dublin :) but the rest of us benefit from every euro they make too.

Ticket prices are ludicrous AZ.
Qualifiers were introduced to generate more income - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Now the Super 8 will generate more money - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Sky deal - Joe Public has to pay for subscription to watch games

I could go on.

Hand on heart I can say my local club and local clubs around me have not seen any benefit from any of this additional revenue streams.

Westbound - the 80k figure is a moot point. 1 casualty or death is too many so I expect this ruling to be implemented at every county ground immediately. It isnt difficult to enforce.

westbound

Quote from: Taylor on June 22, 2017, 10:22:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 22, 2017, 09:58:47 AM

Ticket prices are ludicrous AZ.
Qualifiers were introduced to generate more income - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Now the Super 8 will generate more money - a lot of it from ticket sales from Joe public
Sky deal - Joe Public has to pay for subscription to watch games

I could go on.

Hand on heart I can say my local club and local clubs around me have not seen any benefit from any of this additional revenue streams.

Westbound - the 80k figure is a moot point. 1 casualty or death is too many so I expect this ruling to be implemented at every county ground immediately. It isnt difficult to enforce.

I don't agree it's a moot point.
I 100% agree that 1 casualty is too many, but the risk of an attack happening is greater in the bigger crowd.

Would you have no problem with this decision if it was implemented across ALL county grounds in the country?