Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 27, 2017, 11:03:17 PM
God, the amount of Arse licking on this thread would make you sick. This is the beginning of semi-pro. What Dublin are already. As I said earlier. Dublin will play all their games at home in Croker. The spin (to use the pun) of them travelling to Ballybofey is for those on cloud cocoo land. Asking lads who have jobs to tog out nearly every week in July and August is really taking advantage. But hey Sky sports will be happy and corporate boxes have to be used and abused.

And the amount of unfounded moaning is fairly sickening too. There's been lads on this boarding heralding every change as the start of professionalism in the GAA and they were, like you are now, wrong. The numbers don't add up.

Jesus, complaining about lads playing football must take the biscuit. Do lads not play games every week in the league, or do they not work in the spring? They'll play and then do two easy training sessions and play again. Ideal for many young fit athletes.

It's clear there are a lot of lads who will complain and throw unfounded criticisms based on their own unsupported views. Lets see how this works out and if it's the world ending disaster some here believe it will be then we can go back to the current format.

screenexile

Quote from: Zulu on February 27, 2017, 11:36:54 PM
God, the amount of Arse licking on this thread would make you sick. This is the beginning of semi-pro. What Dublin are already. As I said earlier. Dublin will play all their games at home in Croker. The spin (to use the pun) of them travelling to Ballybofey is for those on cloud cocoo land. Asking lads who have jobs to tog out nearly every week in July and August is really taking advantage. But hey Sky sports will be happy and corporate boxes have to be used and abused.

And the amount of unfounded moaning is fairly sickening too. There's been lads on this boarding heralding every change as the start of professionalism in the GAA and they were, like you are now, wrong. The numbers don't add up.

Jesus, complaining about lads playing football must take the biscuit. Do lads not play games every week in the league, or do they not work in the spring? They'll play and then do two easy training sessions and play again. Ideal for many young fit athletes.

It's clear there are a lot of lads who will complain and throw unfounded criticisms based on their own unsupported views. Lets see how this works out and if it's the world ending disaster some here believe it will be then we can go back to the current format.

f**k the lads playing 3 weeks in a row what about Sligo/Carlow/Antrim/Waterford who have a real chance of playing 2 games within 3:4 weeks and then none in the height of summer?

Interesting to note it's the Dubs mostly in favour of this... hilarious what passes for democracy these days GAA is a worse system than the Electoral College FFS! Members of our club certainly weren't balloted on the Super 8 issue and I'd wager very few clubs around the country were either!

Zulu

You're proving my position by again and it's far from just Dubs supporting this. But you ask about Waterford and the like, ok what's your solution then? Duffy, nor anyone else said this was the solution to all our issues but I'd like to hear how we can keep the provincials and provide the weaker teams more games, in the height of summer no less???

So, screenexile let's hear your proposal that provides the weaker teams meaningful games in the height of summer and gives the clubs more time with their IC players as well.

ha ha derry

I don't see any right minded player or manager wanting to play three extra matches at that stage of a competition. No benefit to the teams. increased injury risk and fatigue when you least need it.

Hound

Quote from: screenexile on February 28, 2017, 01:05:22 AM

f**k the lads playing 3 weeks in a row what about Sligo/Carlow/Antrim/Waterford who have a real chance of playing 2 games within 3:4 weeks and then none in the height of summer?

But these counties want to keep the provincial system, and they want to stay in the All Ireland series, rather than have a B/Intermediate competition.

So yes, the weakest teams will stay as they are. No change from the current system, apart from the 2nd game is likely to be played a bit earlier.

A minimum of two championship games. And if that results in two losses, then it's back to their clubs to play club football in the height of the summer and the club footballers are happy that their competitions can proceed.

ballinaman

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 28, 2017, 09:18:36 AM
I don't see any right minded player or manager wanting to play three extra matches at that stage of a competition. No benefit to the teams. increased injury risk and fatigue when you least need it.
Shouldn't be a problem if the mid week training is adjusted accordingly. However, with the amount of dinosaurs still taking sessions there might be problems...workrate wasn't high enough last Saturday lads, let's train the bollox off ye Wednesday to get us right for next Saturday..that'll do the trick.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Zulu on February 27, 2017, 11:36:54 PM

From the Bunker, I'll restrain myself to say that I just disagree with you.

Giving out about lads playing every week. Isn't that what they bloody want? More games, less training.

You genuinely think that Dublin, after playing their first two Super 8 games, are going to play in Croke Park again? I don't.

And as for your arse licking comment. As the  young girls say, I just can't.................

ha ha derry

Quote from: ballinaman on February 28, 2017, 09:30:01 AM
Shouldn't be a problem if the mid week training is adjusted accordingly. However, with the amount of dinosaurs still taking sessions there might be problems...workrate wasn't high enough last Saturday lads, let's train the bollox off ye Wednesday to get us right for next Saturday..that'll do the trick.

So you reach the last eight in the championship and you're telling me that you would rather play three matches rather than one match to get to the semi final ???

Esmarelda

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 28, 2017, 09:43:01 AM

So you reach the last eight in the championship and you're telling me that you would rather play three matches rather than one match to get to the semi final ???
If you told a team in June that they had to play no games and that they'd go straight into the All-Ireland final I'd say they'd take that too.

The point is that players want to play more games during the summer months. It also makes it a more level playing field by making the path to the final for the likes of Dublin and Kerry more difficult. That's two problems that the Super 8 solves. If it creates a problem elsewhere then fair enough. But the claim is that the proposals tried to address some of the issues that GAA people had with the current system.

Dinny Breen

QuoteIt also makes it a more level playing field by making the path to the final for the likes of Dublin and Kerry more difficult.

Actually it makes it easier for Dublin to get to the final, they can now afford a bad day after Leinster and still have a chance, whereas a bad day in the quarters and they were gone.

Anyway I am all for change, however let's be brutally honest, if any county with a county ground capacity less than 15k have Dublin in the group stages not a hope in hell they will be allowed play Dublin at home, not a hope in hell.
#newbridgeornowhere

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2017, 10:04:42 AM
QuoteIt also makes it a more level playing field by making the path to the final for the likes of Dublin and Kerry more difficult.

Actually it makes it easier for Dublin to get to the final, they can now afford a bad day after Leinster and still have a chance, whereas a bad day in the quarters and they were gone.

Anyway I am all for change, however let's be brutally honest, if any county with a county ground capacity less than 15k have Dublin in the group stages not a hope in hell they will be allowed play Dublin at home, not a hope in hell.
But would it be moved to Croke Park?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 28, 2017, 10:08:49 AM

Hard to say, if a Leinster county probably, more than likely a neutral venue, Thurles, Limerick, Kilkenny or Clones. It would still give Dublin 2 home games and 1 neutral. All teams are equal some are just more equal than others.
#newbridgeornowhere

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 28, 2017, 10:20:58 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on February 28, 2017, 10:08:49 AM

Hard to say, if a Leinster county probably, more than likely a neutral venue, Thurles, Limerick, Kilkenny or Clones. It would still give Dublin 2 home games and 1 neutral. All teams are equal some are just more equal than others.
Well my point was that they wouldn't play their third game in Croke Park. It's clearly stated in the proposal that grounds would be subject to approval by the CCCC.

ha ha derry

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 28, 2017, 09:49:30 AM

If you told a team in June that they had to play no games and that they'd go straight into the All-Ireland final I'd say they'd take that too.

The point is that players want to play more games during the summer months. It also makes it a more level playing field by making the path to the final for the likes of Dublin and Kerry more difficult. That's two problems that the Super 8 solves. If it creates a problem elsewhere then fair enough. But the claim is that the proposals tried to address some of the issues that GAA people had with the current system.

So do club players (the GAA majority).

Esmarelda

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 28, 2017, 10:32:58 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on February 28, 2017, 09:49:30 AM

So do club players (the GAA majority).
I know. So what do you do? I see the Wicklow manager saying his players should go on strike because they only got two games last summer. The Wicklow club players will be able to play all of July, August and September next year. How do you keep everyone happy? What does the Wicklow manager want so that he gets more games? A second-tier championship that they can compete in? Nope, the very players he says are being treated like dogs don't want it.

So many complaints, so few answers.