Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: johnnycool on January 29, 2021, 03:26:02 PM
Are Phil jones and Chris Smalling still on the books at Utd?

Got shot of Smalling in the last window.

Jones is still there. Half way through a four year contract that he should never have been offered. Has barely featured since signing it. Could have been a great player, but it was clear from about 2014/ 2015 that his body was always going to hold him back. Club officialdom seem to have a soft spot for him - not much other explanation for the millions he's been given over the last five or six years with so little return.

Rojo is another boy that was given a multi-year contract a few years ago and has offered nothing since. Probably also some logic about 'protecting value' with these absurd contract renewals - but that only works if anyone else ever wants to buy the duds.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on January 29, 2021, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 29, 2021, 03:26:02 PM
Are Phil jones and Chris Smalling still on the books at Utd?

Got shot of Smalling in the last window.

Jones is still there. Half way through a four year contract that he should never have been offered. Has barely featured since signing it. Could have been a great player, but it was clear from about 2014/ 2015 that his body was always going to hold him back. Club officialdom seem to have a soft spot for him - not much other explanation for the millions he's been given over the last five or six years with so little return.

Rojo is another boy that was given a multi-year contract a few years ago and has offered nothing since. Probably also some logic about 'protecting value' with these absurd contract renewals - but that only works if anyone else ever wants to buy the duds.
They seemed to be rewarding them for playing for Utd instead of paying what they were actually worth. Another Woodward and Judge genius move. Protecting your assets sounds good but you kept Jones, Rojo etc on massive contracts but let Herrera's run down because they offered him a pay cut.

Boycey

Rich Ricci

Utd all too happy to settle for not getting beat. No urgency shown to try and win that game.

nrico2006

Uniteds attack is still as blunt as ever. Seems to a misconception that they are a great attacking side when they aren't.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Cunny Funt

A fair result tonight and would have been a decent result if they hadn't lost midweek. A better result than Uniteds last two visits to Emirates Stadium which was two 2-0 defeats.

Mad to think this United side in transition has produced a club record unbeaten away run and it's mostly that run why United might have a chance to finish in the top 4 for the 2nd season running.

Maroon Manc

Performance was worrying but this hiccup has been coming, Leeds the only game United have won comfortably in the last 3 months and every other game has gone down to the wire. United look tired too, played so many games since June which me be starting to take its toll.

Its a another big week, we'll know a bit more about United are heading after it.

I watched the u23's on Saturday for Diallo's debut, can't imagine he'll play too many games at that level. Technically he's brilliant and plays with his head up, imagine there concerned about the physical demands of the league but he's certainly stronger then he looks judging by the tussles he was having on Saturday; I'm sure he'll be on the bench within a few weeks.

Boycey

He looks a cocky wee hoor too which is no bad thing.I loved the way he took the ball off Hugil, who had already scored 4, for the 2nd penalty and then promptly finished with a panenka.

I read yesterday that the reason Lingard was let go out on loan was because Utd felt they could get minutes out of Diallo in the 2nd half of the season. There might be some 10/15 minute cameos from him I'd say.

NAG1

Think it was a fair result although again with a bit more care or attention from Rashford and he could have had a couple or even laid one on.

Problem with being set up for the counter attack continually is that it can become one dimensional and if it doesnt work early the opposition seem to figure them out.

Team are making progress but dont quite have the killer edge yet.

Jeepers Creepers

Utd have no right sided options for attack so will be one dimensional for a while yet.

Maroon Manc

United drop too deep too quickly far too often, should be pressing harder but don't and its not helped by having a centre half partnership that lacks pace when Bailly doesn't play

I think its something that needs work on the training ground in fairness and their not getting the time to implement it given their playing every 3 or 4 days.

Watched a fair bit of the u23's this season and the odd youth game, Joe Hugill has really impressed; He doesn't miss chances, lacks real pace but reckon he's quicker then he looks due to his size but does have a lot of filling out to do. Mjebri is a real talent but you'd expect him to be with what they paid for him. Shoretire is one under the radar, and you don't hear much about but he's only 16,  think there's a contract issue with him and has all the big clubs in Europe chasing him.

trailer

This year is the best chance Utd will have to win the league. Loserpool have no centre-halfs, Shitty no strikers. To go to that Arsenal side and not win wouldn't happen under AF. You simply go and make a statement. All this nonsense about transition. What changes that they stop being in "transition" and start becoming serious contenders.

OGS needs to get a hold of them and shake them. Martial, Matic, Pogba, AWB all must up their performance levels.

GJL

Utd working on their goal difference tonight.  8)

Boycey

VAR can even suck the life out of a 9-0 win...

Cunny Funt

Old fashion ruthless performance from United tonight. Early sending off clearly helped but sometimes games can be difficult against 10 men and I recall United drawing against a 10 man Southampton a few years ago.

Confidence boosting goals for Martial, Rashford both back firing will boost Uniteds chances of a top 4 finish.